main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Raise Hell, Praise Dale - NASCAR/North American Racing Series Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJade2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Well, considering that they had imposed cautions basically every 10 laps due to the tire wear, it makes you wonder just exactly what kind of tire testing Nascar is doing these days.

Dale Jr. said that the tires were only lasting around 5 laps or so when he did testing earlier in the year, so why didn't Nascar go with different tires then.

I can't imagine Pocono being better considering that the tires there last time were terrible as well.

2. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Time for another tire war so Goodyear will get off their lazy asses.

3. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Good Lord, You just put the image in my head of "Tire" fighters and locking your right sides in attack position. :p

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    You said it. The only good thing was that Whiny Face Busch didn't win. I can't even bring myself to buy M&Ms these days.

In any event, did anyone see the article about the Toyota cars having too much horse power and having to get restrictor plates?

5. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I hope someone freezes 10 billion M&Ms and then repeatedly fires them at Kyle Busch! :mad:

6. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Where is Dale Sr when you need him? :p
    Gahhhh I can't even watch it now.

7. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    This is a truly forgettable season of Kyle Busch or Carl Edwards winning every week. It's sad because 5 years ago there were at least 15 teams capable of winning each race.

8. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I was hoping Tony would win . . . or Boris Said. :D

9. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Okay so Carl wins this week, I guess the next race is Kyle again. :p

10. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Actually, Carl again, with Kyle in 2nd again. [face_plain]

Well, at least we could have ourselves a rivalry between the 2 after tonight, unless those peabrains at nascar step in and stop the 2 of them. The last thing they need is a rivalry on the track. Because god forbid it would bring up the ratings.

"Michael Waltrip is the worst driver in nascar." - Clint Bowyer

Not exactly shocking news, I've known that since I was 10 years old, but still funny to hear.

11. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    they need another good rivalry. i'm sick and tired of it all being buddy/buddy with everyone else. and the fact that JR is now on hendrix screwed everything up in that area.

:snoopy

12. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    I can't take it anymore though. I freakin' hate Kyle Busch. He gets a bump and run and he whines like the baby he is. He should be thanking Carl Edwards for taking him back down to Earth and realizing he doesn't own nascar like the media thinks he does.

I'm going to the Milwaukee Mile tomorrow afternoon for an all-star late model 100 miler with Matt Kenseth and Mr all-important Rowdy Busch showing up. And I hope he gets his ass kicked in that race too.

13. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    Never have I disagreed with Clint Bowyer. Loved him ever since Pocono 06. Plus he's kind of a hometown boy for me.

14. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Okay the chase guys are up. Who do you think is going to get it.

15. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    My early pick was #88 since they were top 5 every week but they have fallen off the radar lately. Kind of hard not to pick against the 48. They have the experience and momentum.

16. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Obviously I'm really rooting for Jimmie here, with the Three-peat on the line and all. I wouldn't mind seeing Jr. pick it up a little bit and start winning either. Really anyone but Busch. :p

17. PTMurphy84

PTMurphy84 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2008
    While a tire war would be interesting, but considering other tires' involvement in other series, I doubt very much that BF Goodrich or even Firestone will get into the act very soon, and thats only after the NASCAR oganization as a whole gets over its own bass-ackwards dogmas.

Jimmie probably is a shoe in this year since he's been looking bulletproof as of late, but we'll see if Jr can actually develop some talent and win a few races besides super speedways.

Here's my beef with the chase: Its not a good last 10 races. Theres very little variation in the tracks they race.
    I mean who here wouldn't like to shut the people up that continually bash NASCAR for the low tech and the lack of variety in courses? Some candidates that come to mind are Laguna Seca in CA, Road America in Elkhart, WI, or Road Atlanta, all road courses that would lend credence and provide new challenges to NASCAR drivers.

I mean come on, who else is sick of seeing them run on the same courses twice in one season? Lets get some new challenges and venues shall we? Theres plenty of great tracks in the USA, they just have to branch out and find em.

18. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Well Jimmy's chances just got better.

19. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    I agree about the chase format. I didn't use to like road courses, but since every oval except Daytona and Talladega has produced garbage racing the past couple of years, road courses have gotten pretty exciting.

This is how the chase should be run, IMO:

Daytona
    Bristol
    Atlanta
    Sears Point
    Michigan
    Talladega
    Martinsville
    Watkins Glen
    Lowe's
    Homestead

You get your share of road courses, short tracks, superspeedways, and cookiee cutters to test every aspect of your program to prove your team is the champion.

A lot of people seem to want Daytona to be the last race of the year but I disagree. I am so in love with restrictor plate racing that I would marry it, but those races are a wild card. A huge wreck can take contenders out and you can go from 1st to 20th in a lap. It's not a good way to determine a champ in the last race.

However, I have to disagree about nascar being low tech. Unfortunately it has gotten very high tech in the last 10 years, and I've learned from going to local short tracks that the worse the technology, the better the racing. In Sprint Cup if a guy gets a dent in his front bumper his chances of winning are gone because of my most hated word in auto racing: aerodynamics.

20. PTMurphy84

PTMurphy84 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 12, 2008
    Thats a fine enough schedule except for having both Talladega AND Daytona. It's pretty much the same thing, and in my mind, you want enough variation thrown in to make a convincing argument. So id go so far as to say replace one or the other by re-inserting Phoenix. Its an oddball course and has thrown a few surprises, plus its good racing believe it or not.

As far as NASCAR being low tech, it is by comparison to world-renowned forms of racing (Formula 1, IRL, Le Mans etc) NASCAR is still the minor leagues of technology, plus with the COT homolagation, it makes it even worse. If it's going to be true sports car racing, then the cars have to be done like they are in GT1 racing, IE off the shelf but heavily modified Impalas, Chargers etc., THEN it would be true Sports Car style racing.

But since its not, how about FUEL INJECTORS? or ELECTRONIC TIMING? That sort of thing?

21. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    nascar has had ELECTRONIC TIMING for over 15 years. Do your research first.

And if you pay attention to a Talladega or Daytona race for even 10 seconds, you'll understand why those races deserve to be in it. Phoenix has been one of the most boring tracks since nascar first went there in the late 80s. I was pounding my head on my desk when I found out they'd be going there twice a few years ago.

And they don't use FUEL INJECTORS because nascar doesn't want computers in the cars. Cheating would go through the roof. Believe it or not, the crew chiefs do have an education past the 6th grade, regardless of what you've heard.

I guess I just don't understand why people make such a big deal about how their favorite racing's technology is light years ahead of ours. Whoopde****. I don't care if F1 race cars can transform and have talking computers inside. Every F1 race I've watched I got bored after 2 laps. Plus, F1's cars have become way more important than the drivers. You could put Speed Racer himself in the slowest car on the grid and he still won't do anything.

I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that nascar apparently has the lowest technology of any type of motorsport. It doesn't have any bearing on it whatsoever in my mind.

People are just pissed because nascar takes up most of the programming on Speed Channel.

22. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    I'd be lying if I said that I hate seeing the bad luck the 18 team is having the last 2 weeks.

23. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Kansas this weekend, wooo! I'm gonna try and make it out to the track Saturday.

My store is supposed to have the Elliott Sadler showcar on Sunday too, pretty exicted about getting some good pictures of that.

24. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    Good race, Carl gave it all he had at the end for sure.

Just figures the one year I don't go to the race... :(

25. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    That was an awesome move by 99. That was like a desperate move I'd use on the playstation games in the last turn. Never thought I would see it in real life.