Arena Turn Right: The Nascar discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJade2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    TALLADEGA.

What more needs to be said. Crap, I won't be able to watch it though. Garrgh! :mad:
  2. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    [image=http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u237/penskepower/rpm_a_harvick-edwards-fight01_300.jpg]

If this is a consular ship, where is the ambassador!?
  3. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Harvick seems to be enjoying it... he hasn't had a good fight in a few years. :p

Nice solid effort by Jimmie, the 3-peat is that much closer. Good to see Burton win, always one of my favorite underdogs.
  4. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Hehehehe...

[image=http://msn.foxsports.com/id/8696348_18_1.jpg]

I was almost rooting for Jr. at the end, I really would like to see him do better.
  5. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Driver and team of the decade, without a doubt.
  6. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    As much as I do still miss Ricky Hendrick, at least it wasn't *all* about the plane crash this year like it used to be.

I only caught the last half of the race, does anyone know why Kurt Busch was wanting out of his car?
  7. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Yeah, Kurt was showing signs that he's still a Busch. Driving for one of the all-time greats in motorsports in Roger Penske and he's whining like a baby. He doesn't want to drive the car because it's not running good? Tough! If he doesn't like it I'll take his job. Hell, I would pay to drive the #2 car! [face_laugh]
  8. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    I thought it was funny to hear a "champion" complaining and wanting out of the car. :p
  9. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Kurt never won that championship. End of story. [face_plain]

As far as I'm concernced, Jimmie is going for his 4th championship in 5 years.
  10. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Seriously, Kurt had never again shown the supposed talent he had that year, so it could mostly be chalked up to luck, especially with the whole tire thing at Homestead.

Now his brother, I won't deny there's talent there. He just has way to big of a mouth and doesn't think before he uses it. I see Tony Stewart the same way. I don't deny they're better race car drivers than most people you'll see, I just don't like them as people. :p
  11. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    The 2 team showed flashes of brilliance last year but overall that team has not been a powerhouse at all since Kurt got in the car. In fact the Penske organization as a whole has gone down the tubes in the past few years. I will say I have enjoyed Ryan Newman's fade into mediocrity though. They got extremely lucky with their wins this year. Newman and Busch were in the right place at the right time at Daytona, and that pit call at Loudon is the reason Kurt still has a job if you ask me.

I think that Mr. Penske should fire Busch for his immature comments at Martinsville, then have ESPN and Penske come to an agreement to have Rusty drive the 2 car as an in-race reporter. It's better than that crappy job he has now in the infield studio. And I know that the general nascar fanbase thinks Rusty stinks at TV and part of me hates to say I agree. He's not the hilarious cocky Rusty he was back when he was driving and I miss that Rusty a lot.
  12. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
  13. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Wouldn't surprise me though. Just ask Matt Kenseth about how scary the 'Roid Rage can be. :p

I do really hope the rumors of Rusty driving again are true. I mean we have Mark Martin coming back full time, what kind of crap is that?
  14. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Part of me wants the ol' Ruster to come back but part of me doesn't. I'm sure he has taken the COT out for a few laps, but never in race conditions. And he's always been so adamant about adjusting the cars to his liking his whole career. The only thing you can adjust in the COT is your seatbelts so I don't think it would work out for him.

He has denied the rumors about the comeback but he has also denied rumors before in his career that later turned out to be true. If he does come back I'll be super excited to the point of my head nearly exploding, but at the same time, I don't want him to turn out like DW and run in the 30s every week. What Rusty has going for him is that he went out competitive.

If anything, he should take his kid out of the Nationwide car and drive it. He's an embarassment if you ask me.
  15. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    That 48 team is just unbelievable.

And when is Michael "debris" Waltrip going to finally call it a career? Nice 1,000th start loser.
  16. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    So no doubt Jimmie drove his butt off at the end, but Knaus.. I love the man.

As for Waltrip, well...

[image=http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/lars_anderson/04/13/waltrip/t1_michael.waltrip.jpg] [image=http://op-for.com/simpsons_nelson_haha2.jpg]
  17. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    The thing about Waltrip is when he does retire you know he's going into TV, and he's the reason I quit watching the truck series.
  18. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    So Mak, I'm sure you can appreciate how close a points race we would be having under the old points system, right?

Either way Jimmie's leading. :p

But still, I think it's hilarious.
  19. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    That is really funny, but you have to consider these guys run conservative in August to get ready for the chase.

Either way, this points system has to go. All they need to do is dump the chase and give 50 extra points to the winner every week.

But I think that's the least of our concerns right now. The rumor going around is that GM, Ford, and Chrysler may have to cut back factory support during Depression 2.
  20. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Eh, I was sad to see it come down to a Fuel Mileage race, but still...

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Jedi-Anakin-Solo/graphic440.jpg]

[face_dancing][face_dancing][face_dancing] [face_dancing][face_dancing]
  21. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    What can you say? They've just made the rest of the field look like fools.

And I've never really been a fan of Tony Stewart, but it's sad to see the 20 car era come to an end. They've had a ton of success too. It would've been cool to see them win this race.
  22. Onoto Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Kyle Busch wins eight races over the course of the season, finishes in the the top 5 seventeen times, and he comes in eleventh? Over 150 points behind a winless Kevin Harvick? That seems a tad odd.
  23. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    That's the chase system. It's odd. It's equivalent to a football team winning 16 games but falling out early in the playoffs. I think they should just get rid of the chase because I think a playoff type system in auto racing is just plain silly.

As far as Harvick being ahead of Busch, nascar's always rewarded consistency in their points system. A guy who finishes top 10 every week is going to do better than the guy who wins but wrecks the next race.
  24. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    And look at Harvick with his DNF-less streak, too.

Speaking of streaks, it is sad to see such a long one come to and end with Jeff not winning. Ricky Rudd still holds the record at like 16 years I think, right?
  25. DarthMak Force Ghost

star 5
    Ahem, tied with Rusty Wallace. ;)

It was odd not seeing Gordon get to victory lane this year. Well, at least he's getting to that point in his career where it's lame to hate him anymore. Every superstar has gone through it.

Jeff Gordon should be thanking Kyle Busch. [face_laugh]