Arena Turn Right: The Nascar discussion thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJade2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    I had an appointment I had to get to and missed that, is there a link on YouTube or anywhere with it?
  2. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
  3. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Truex got hosed. Bowyer should be out instead. That would put Jeff in. Bump Bowyer out of the Top 10, Jeff moves up from 11th to 10th.
    Unless they make the Chase 13/14 cars and have all of them.
    Newman was expected imo to get in over Jeff but you bump Bowyer instead, Jeff is the only logical answer.
    Juliet316 likes this.
  4. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    Shifting topics, anyone have a guess on where Jeff Burton ends up next year? If he has a ride?

I'm thinking he could be in the mix for Busch's old ride at FR, probably with AJ and Montoya. Lots of free agent good drivers out there this coming offseason.
  5. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
  6. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
  7. Skywalker8921 Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    Agree. NASCAR should have booted Bowyer out for doing what he did. and now with Jeff Gordon being added in by executive decision, does the Chase format really mean anything anymore when it is changed on a whim? I say drop the Chase format entirely and let all the drivers battle it out for the championship like they did before 2004. Never liked the "playoff" idea for NASCAR anyway.
  8. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    I think that they are still determined to have the Chase next year. Maybe make it win and you are in? Don't know. Have to wait and see. The pre-2003 system is probably the way to go but I don't know.
  9. Juliet316 Chosen One

star 7
    This is what I miss when I go off to deal with family drama.
  10. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    NAPA's leaving MWR over the whole Bowyer deal. Good for them. Also good for us, so we don't have to see those awful Napa Know How commercials with Miss Waltrip.
  11. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    I hate to see one of the only full-season sponsors pulling out of the sport, but at the same time I'm amused. I've never liked Waltrip and to see Napa finally get tired of him is pretty significant since he's been partnered with them for 12 years.

Again, the person getting the shaft here is poor Truex.
  12. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Feel bad for Truex and the people who might get laid off from this. Hope Truex leaves and goes somewhere else. I believe NAPA will be somewhere else as well. Stewart-Haas possibly?
  13. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Could be a sponsor for Kurt Busch. Maybe Childress or Roush even.

What I wonder is, does Truex stay with MWR or now since he has a way out of his contract does he go somewhere else?
  14. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Well I may be biased but I was happy with the race today. If Jr. had pulled it off I wouldn't even have been mad.

I'll be at the Kansas race next week, excited to be able to listen in to Jimmie's radio. Chad & Earl are awesome.
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    I was pulling for Jr to win at the end but didn't really expect him to win.
    Have fun at the race @Jedi-Anakin_Solo!
    Is this your first race?
    Jedi-Anakin-Solo likes this.
  16. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Nah I think this'll be my... fifteenth (?) Cup race, with a handful of Truck and Nationwide races too. Even been to a couple Indy races back when they stopped at Kansas. I was mad I didn't make it out the Grand-Am race they had this year.

My first one was Atlanta in 2000 (DW's last race) and the '01 Texas race. The rest have been at Kansas, I only live about 30 minutes away. I didn't go for a few years but started again once there were 2 races a year.
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    06 Brickyard 400
    08 Spring MIS race
    12 August MIS race
    13 NNS Mid-Ohio race
    13 Mid-Ohio Indy Car race
    05-08 Mansfield Motorsports Park Truck races.
  18. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Ahh I'd love to go to the Brickyard. Not so much for the race but just to see Indy.

I've been to Daytona and Talledega, but not during races. Did tours of the track though. Planning to go to the Daytona 500 next year though. Went to Daytona USA in '99 and Gordon was my favorite driver then, so seeing his winning car on display was amazing. Very excited to see Jimmie's wrecked car from this year. :p
  19. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    That track is freaking huge. Was a pain in the neck to find it too. Great place but walking everywhere stunk. Exciting race (seeing who all got cheered and booed was interesting) but the wait to leave was terrible. An hour wait to get out of the track and we were sent the wrong direction.
    Daytona and Talladega are at the top of the list to go see a race at. Tickets for the 500 for a late College graduation gift for 2015. I bet that was exciting. Ha ha lol that too. Quite an experience going to a race. You have to be there to understand.
  20. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    I love being able to just focus on Jimmie the whole race. Actually see his car on the track, listen to the radio and everything. I feel like I'm in control of how I want to watch the race. Last year when he spun and backed into the wall, listening and actually getting to watch the crew fix the car and him drive it back the way he did, it was amazing. I still beat myself up for not being there when he and Edwards had that great finish a few years ago.

I haven't gotten to see Jimmie win a race in person yet, but before he started in Cup, JG was my guy so when he won the first race there in '01, I lost my ****.
  21. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    Ha ha lol.
    That Johnson/Edwards 08 finish was epic. Had me scared that for a second until Edwards hit the wall.
    I called Johnson winning the 06 Brickyard 400. Well I called him winning it all that year after Stewie won in 05 and was right.
  22. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    The one I'm probably proudest to have seen in person was Ricky Hendrick's truck win in '01. I was excited for him back then and obviously it has a much different meaning now.
  23. Force Smuggler Chosen One

star 6
    I bet. That would have been amazing to see in person.
  24. heels1785 Jedi Draft Commissioner

Game Host
    star 6
    I don't think we have an INDY thread, just Nascar and F1, but Dario Franchitti wrecked badly today in Houston. From recent reports, he's okay, but 13 fans got taken to the hospital- in a way, it's similar to the Wheldon crash in that he went airborne, but luckily he was not on a banked speedway like Vegas.

This was the shot of the wreck, with Franchitti's Ganassi car airborne:

[IMG]
  25. Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost

star 6
    Here's my pictures from the race today. The very last picture is the bush right next to the tunnel entrance in turn 1 that caught fire. The workers said it was started by a cigarette butt.

Also here's a video I took of the start, and ended up getting Danica's crash included.

Force Smuggler and Juliet316 like this.