main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Raise Hell, Praise Dale - NASCAR/North American Racing Series Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJade2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The 1 car/McMurray had to have been responsible for 20+ cars being taken out, between him squeezing out Jimmie to make it FOUR WIDE (what could go wrong there?!) and bump drafting the 24 to set off another chain wreck.

Lots of ridiculously aggressive driving out there, though. The ending was great, but it was not a great 500. I would not want to be McMurray walking into that driver's meeting next week.

cubman987 and Bazinga'd like this.
  2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    May be last race on this pavement at Atlanta.

Starting on the pole. Hoping to get the win and lock into the playoffs early.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  3. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Depressing end to a race we dominated. Wasn't even close.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The nature of the beast sometimes.

5. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I can't believe the way Larson lost that lead. I love the guy but step it up!

Great run today by Erik Jones.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Whoops. Wrong thread.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  7. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Short day tracking the race today. 4 crashes out.

[​IMG]

8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    And one fight off the track.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Bad qualifying day for the 4. With the epic letdown at Atlanta and then the bad luck last week, I hope Kevin is keeping his head up. It's a long season ahead.

Ryan Blaney continues to impress, starting on the outside of Joey Logs.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  11. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Dale Jr. going to retire after this season.....I'm going to have to start finding new drivers to root for I guess with Gordon and now him gone.

heels1785 likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I'm surprised he came back this season. Between his new wife and life and the scare of that concussion, I thought he'd be replacing Waltrip in the booth.

Stewart, Gordon, Cousin Carl, Earnhardt. Lots of accomplished drivers stepping aside.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Said to see Jr step aside but not all that surprised really.

14. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    This will cause the further irrelevancy of Nascar and the ratings are going to plummet big time. Junior is right now the only reason I even follow Nascar, so to me it will mean the end of watching it throughout the season.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    me too. i see some people that bash people following junior and him not winning, but people follow athlete's they have a connection to. Most of these drivers now people wouldn't recognize if they passed by them in person. There's not much personality left in the sport

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I remember the same being said back in the late 90s/early 2000s when Earnhardt Sr. died and some of the other drivers started retiring. Then along came Stewart, Johnson, Keslowski, among others

17. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I don't think it's going to taper off too much. One thing that most NASCAR fans are good at is finding another driver.

You've also got a great youth movement with legacies in Chase Elliott and Ryan Blaney, and a slew of drivers with world-class talent. This is no longer 80s and 90s NASCAR, these are extremely intelligent athletes/businessmen behind the wheel.

18. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    2018 schedule is out: http://www.nascar.com/news-media/2017/05/23/2018-nascar-schedule-released-playoff-changes/ (I'm not linking to the actual complete schedule since it seems to only be in an annoying slideshow format.)

Notable changes include the Daytona 500 back on President's Day weekend, Brickyard as the regular season finale, Richmond moving to inside the playoffs, and the Charlotte playoff race being run on the infield road course instead of the oval.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Penske is bringing Ryan Blaney from their subsidiary WB to drive their third car for next year. Menard leaving Childress will take over the 21.

With Hendrick in full rebuild mode next year, and Gibbs replacing Kenseth with Erik Jones, have to say it looks like Penske will have the best stable for the foreseeable future.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I didn't even know he was sick. He did a lot of good for the sport - RIP

cubman987 likes this.
  22. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I didn't know that either....pretty big loss for the sport there. RIP

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Congrats to Martin Truex Jr.

heels1785 and jcgoble3 like this.
  24. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Yes. Nobody has come as far in the last 3 years as Truex. Great personal story, what he's overcome and his wife's illness.

Incredibly happy to see this, very deserving, and now a champion forever.

Edit- also Furniture Row Racing winning the Championship and EIGHT races this season is a huge story. The affiliation with JGR no doubt helps, but small operations like this rarely win races these days, much less titles. Game changer.

Juliet316 and jcgoble3 like this.
  25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Congratulations to Truex!

Let's also not forget about Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s retirement. While he never had anywhere near the level of success his late father achieved, he held his own with a few race wins here and there. He has his detractors, but far outnumbering them are his supporters and fans—Junior Nation, as they're known. He's been named Most Popular Driver for so many years in a row that I've lost count, and for good reason: the guy is down to earth, knows how to relate to the fans, and commands a lot of respect without trying. Love him or hate him, he is the face of the sport.

Junior, you will be greatly missed as a driver. I hope you hang around and continue to be present at the tracks in other capacities.

heels1785 and Juliet316 like this.