main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Raise Hell, Praise Dale - NASCAR/North American Racing Series Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by MariahJade2, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Gordon is mad at Johnson for today's racing. Is he mad that his patented bump 'n run technique just isn't working with the COT?

Gordon is one of the best drivers in nascar history but let's face it: he is no longer #1 at Hendrick Motorsports. I guess I'd be mad too if a guy I molded in my image was kicking my butt every week.

2. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Hehehe/ Well I was hoping they would both knock eachother out. :p

3. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Interestingly, watching Jeff Gordon and Jimmie Johnson duel for the win I felt as though I was offically watching the changing of the guard in NASCAR. That finally, when both Jimmie Johnson and Jeff Gordon were at the top of their games, it was Jimmie Johnson that is now the man to beat in NASCAR, and that the Jeff Gordon of the mid-to late 90's is never coming back.

4. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    The only reason people go to nascar is to see car's crash and the girls. Its like hockey, people just go to see people fight and get smashed against the glass.

But its still fun to see.

5. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    The only reason people go to nascar is to see car's crash and the girls.

I would take issue with that. I watch to see Kevin. [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] ;) And a few things like racing and passing.

So what does everyone think about Michaels car crash. I feel bad for him, but man, that's pretty dumb walking away from the scene. His team is doing horrible, and this isn't going to make it any better.

If you don't know what I'm talking about he overturned his car on the way home because he fell asleep at the wheel supposedly.

From Nascar.com:

The witness who discovered Michael Waltrip's overturned car initially thought no one survived the accident until the NASCAR driver wiggled out the back window.

The witness, an 18-year-old college student at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte, requested anonymity during a phone interview Wednesday with The Associated Press for fear of reprisal from Waltrip's fan base.

But she said she lives near the two-time Daytona 500 winner in Sherrill's Ford, and stumbled upon the accident when she was returning home around 2 a.m. Saturday. She saw an overturned Toyota Land Cruiser in a ditch and rushed over to check on the occupants. She didn't see anyone in the car and no one answered her shouts, so she called 911 for help.

"After I got off the phone I was walking around the car again and somebody stuck their foot out the back driver side of the window," she said. "That's when Michael Waltrip got out. He wiggled out the back window. I knew immediately it was him. He just got out the back driver side window and stood up."

The witness said she asked Waltrip how long he'd been in the car and he told her about 10 minutes.

"He was bleeding from his forehead and had some cuts on his fingers and arms," she said. "I told him 'You are really lucky you are alive. I didn't think anybody was alive in there.' We sort of talked for a minute or two, and I told him 911 was on the way, and he just turned around and started walking home.

"I didn't know what to say or what to do. He had a T-shirt and sweat pants and socks on, he might have taken his shoes off in the car, but I wasn't sure. And he just turned around and started walking home in his socks."

Waltrip was charged Saturday evening with reckless driving and failing to report an accident, both misdemeanors. He told police he fell asleep the wheel and woke up to find his car overturned in the gravel.

Waltrip has a May 14 court date in Newton on the charges.

NASCAR spokesman Jim Hunter said NASCAR would talk with Waltrip on Friday in Texas.

6. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Michael probably had a mild concussion at least. That would possibly explain the odd behavior.

7. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    I just saw a little bit about that in the paper. Quite sad really.

8. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    The stress is probably getting to Michael. Even though I don't like him or his knucklehead brother, I hope he gives up his "team" and just hangs it up. He got lucky this time.

9. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    He's probably trying to do too much himself.

10. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Trying to start a new team is tough.

Starting a new team as an owner and driver is even harder.

An owner/driver starting a multi-car team is unheard of.

An owner/driver starting a multi-car team with a brand new car that's never raced in NASCAR before...?

Maybe Mikey needed his brain examined before the wreck. :p

11. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Wow, Kyle Busch is a little brat. He leaves the racetrack even though his team repaired the car and got it back in the race? What a team player. If you ask me, this is proof that these teams need to stop hiring guys who just graduated high school, and hire guys who know what teamwork, leadership, and responsibility really are. Either that, or Kyle Busch needs to sit in a corner and have a timeout. I swear, Kyle and Kurt are like the new Bodines.

And I hope that after today we have a rivalry with Stewart and Montoya. I don't like Smoke but this could be a showdown between 2 of the best overall drivers in the series. I hope to see more. And I'll be rooting for Tony because from my standpoint, JPM thinks he can drive as hard as he wants no matter who is around him, even though there's a certain yellow stripe on his rear bumper. It's times like this that I miss the ol' 3 car.

And anyone else get irritated with Fox for showing Kim Burton for the final 3 laps on the other half of the screen? The clowns in the booth were bragging about how there were so many great battles all over the racetrack, yet we're forced to watch her pound the pitbox? I wanted to watch racing, not some made-for-TV romantic movie. Back when Burton was in his prime, 1999-2000, they showed her all the time when he was leading near the end.

12. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I missed most of the race and only heard it on radio but it sounds like I lucked out. Totally agree about the Busch brothers. [face_plain] [face_plain] I hear he messed Jr up there.

13. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Who won the race at texas? I was watching it, but I had to go somewhere, So I don't know who won.

14. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Jeff Burton

15. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    I thought Jeff Gordan was going to win. Oh well.

16. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Well he got it done last night. That was a great little battle he and Stewart had there. I think he is definitely the man to beat this year. I don't think he'll get to 7 championships though.

17. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    All he can do is try.

18. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I just want to say how classy I think it was that Jeff Gordon waved a "3" flag after his victory. I'm glad that Jr. took it as a tribute, as it was, and came over and congratulated Gordon on his record win.

19. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    I didn't get to see this weekends race. Oh well, doesn't sound like I missed too much.

20. LordVader66

LordVader66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I think Jeff Gordon is going to end up with 7 (or more) championships and around 100 race victories. He scored the most points overall in 2004, but since it was the first year of the playoff system, he finished third in points. I think it's harder to win the championship now with the playoff system, but if your consistent those last 10 races every year, you could get lucky.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Dale Earnhardt Jr. Is getting 51% of Dale Earnhardt Incorporated.

22. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    That was the rumor, but it looks like he is being asked to pay quite a lot and that's not what he's after. Nothings been settled at all yet from what I just read.

23. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    Well good old Jeff did it again. Passed Dale sr's record with 77 wins. I'm sad to see it go down though.

24. DarthMak

Jan 4, 2001
    Could it have happened in a worse place at a worse time? Talladega on Dale Earnhardt day. Ouch.

25. MariahJade2

Mar 18, 2001
    David Regan really annoys me. [face_plain]