main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Turn the green crap off

Discussion in 'Communications' started by a jedi master, Mar 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Paul - I'd make a St Andrews day theme, but I'm pretty confident they wouldn't upload it :(

2. Darth_Ignant

Darth_Ignant Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 24, 2001
    No one cares about St Andrew, anyway.

3. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    A couple of points of order of I may.

Point of Order #1:

Stout is a form of Beer. As is Bitter and Lager. Stout is the balck/very dark brown beer, Bitter is the brown beer that is served slighty warmer than lager. Lager is the cool amber, gassy beer.

There are, obviously, other differences but at the end of the day its all beer!

Point of Order #2:

Its pronounced "St. Paddy" NOT "St Patty".

Point of Order #3 (although not technically a point of order):

St. Patrick was British not Irish!

But then again St George was far from being English, which is why we really should have kept St Edward the Confessor as our patron saint but thats a whole different can of worms! :)

4. Lukes_Lightsaber

Lukes_Lightsaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Thank you, Mr. Encyclopedia.

5. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Im suprized apon the point that no one has brought up another semi "holiday" banner.

Does anyone remember the "Pirate Day" banner we had? How in the heck can you base the fact that holiday banners like that are american based!?

If honest ideas like these keep poping up, things should come to one of three solutions.

1.) All holiday banners are dropped, and the people dont complain about having weird colors.

2.) Things stay the same, same amount of comments continue to stream in.

3.) New banners for "Un-American" Holidays are shown. More people complain about the new colors, but not argue that its all american's and their biased ideas of what a holiday is.

All in all, i'd acutally like option 3, mainly because who wouldn't want a holiday banner for Boxing Day?! True enough, its too close to Christmas to actually try and switch banners, but the idea is the same. A Queen's Birthday banner would work, or even perhaps a Armistice day?

Thoughts?

6. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I'm not as bothered by St. Paddy, as it happens only once a year, as I am by congradulations.

7. GIMER

GIMER Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 15, 2000
    Actually, it would be pronounced St. Patty's since the name is PaTrick and not PaDrick.

And if you complain about the hoiday banners being US centric, then make some (or suggest some) for your own holidays and ask them to be put up.

It would be fun to see some different themes, but if the Americans making banners have no idea about what Mothering Sunday even is (but it's on my calendar for yesterday), much less how to make a banner for it.
    Is that the British version of Mother's Day?

8. a jedi master

a jedi master Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 1999
    Actually, it would be pronounced St. Patty's since the name is PaTrick and not PaDrick.

I love it when people start a post with 'actually', but anyways, it is St Paddys because Paddy is the correct abbreviation of Patrick, not Patty. Furthermore, Padrag is the Irish version of the name Patrick, again, it is St Paddy's Day.

And if you complain about the hoiday banners being US centric, then make some (or suggest some) for your own holidays and ask them to be put up.

It has been suggested, nothing was ever done.

if the Americans making banners

You know, people from other countries can make banners - infact, lots of them do. We do have Photoshop in the UK you know.

Is that the British version of Mother's Day?

Yes. 99.9% of people call it Mother's Day, yet calendar companies seem to put 'Mothering Sunday' on for some reason.

9. FateNaberrie

FateNaberrie Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 31, 2000
    We do have Photoshop in the UK you know.

[face_plain] Who let that happen? That's just not cool.

10. a jedi master

Jun 22, 1999
    Dani - Tony Blair did - he downloaded a copy off kazaa and started circulating it through the underground movement.

I was just trying to fight ignorance with sarcasm. I don't know how successful it was............

11. Thok

Thok Jedi Master star 6

May 24, 2002
    Damn that Tony Blair, Piracy is illegal!

*sends the adobe police after the prime minister* :p

But, why shouldnt we have brit related hoidays celibrated? I'd like it, plus, its fun to see new borders every once in a while.

12. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    SO you have photoshop.
    Use it to make your banners or don't complain.
    OR find someone who does know about your holidays and get them to make a banner for you.

13. a jedi master

Jun 22, 1999
    SO you have photoshop.

I didn't say that, so please don't put words in my mouth. However, I do have photoshop, and I have made banners in the past, one of which is still being used to this day on the JC.

Use it to make your banners or don't complain.

I have done, and like I said, my suggestions for specific other holiday banners have gone unanswered

OR find someone who does know about your holidays and get them to make a banner for you.

Thank you for brightening up my day, that really did make me laugh. You understand why, right? Or do I need to explain the obvious comedy?

14. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    As has already been stated, I was correct in my comment about "St. Paddy" rather than "St. Patty". So, don't even try to out smart this English teacher 8-}

It would be nice if Gimer would acknowledge this. ;)

The reason Mother's Day is refered to as "Mothering Sunday" is because it was the one Sunday of the year that people attended the Mother church, i.e. the main church in the area rather than the smaller local parish churches. Originally it had nothing to do with the female parent.

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    While some of the holidays "celebrated" may be bigger holidays in the US than other countries, I don't think they're meant to be biased. I know there were discussions the one Christmas that I was a mod about making sure that people of various religions weren't offended.

Having a pro-certain country bias would be having a 4th of July banner, while ignoring similar holidays from other countries.

In any event, perhaps some future banner celebrations could revolve around certain celebrities birthdays. Like have a Hayden banner for his birthday, Natalie banner for her birthday, etc.

16. LumpyMaiden

LumpyMaiden Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    like have a Hayden banner for his birthday

*drool*

i like that idea.

17. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    There are lots of JC members from The Commonwealth. Maybe we can have "Commonwealth Day" banner?

The UK, Canada, Australia and India amongst others are members of The Commonwealth.

The Commonwealth

18. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    You're angling for a Yoda banner, aren't you?

19. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000

Thank you for brightening up my day, that really did make me laugh. You understand why, right? Or do I need to explain the obvious comedy?

I guess you will have to explain then, your not so obvious attempt at comedy.

Those words were intentional. I don't suspect you celebrate Martin Luther King day do you? No? Because it is not one of your holidays? How about Presidents Day? No? Why not?

Do we celebrate ANZAC day in the US? No? It's not one of our holidays, therefore it would be one of 'your' holidays. It's a possessive pronoun meant to show that something belongs to someone other than myself.

And I'm sorry you ignored the part about my message that welcomed any attempt to bring other holidays into the fold. People can't make banners for things they know nothing about. The people who do, would just need to push the powers that be more, if they would like them up there.

As for the Paddy/Patty issue, there seem to be an equal number of sites out on the internet that use it both ways. I found some sites that claim that it is the way that the Irish separate the nicknames Patrick and Patricia. As an english teacher then I'm sure you'll agree that it makes as much sense as Hank being a nickname for Henry.
    Furthermore, you would expect then the nickname 'Pat' for Patrick would be spelled 'Pad' which it does not seem to be the case based on the information I could find.
    In all cases in the past, I have normally seen it referred to St. Patrick's Day and not abbreviated it. In some cases it has been abbreviated to St. Patty's Day, but never have I seen it used as St Paddy's Day.
    In fact, I have a cousin and a friend both named Patrick and they have never been called Paddy or Patty.

20. Darth_Ignant

Oct 24, 2001
    "As for the Paddy/Patty issue, there seem to be an equal number of sites out on the internet that use it both ways."

So there are an equal amount that are correct, and use Paddy, and that are incorrect that use Patty.

21. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Actually, I'm the one who brought up Talk like a Pirate Day in the MS. It was definitely a celebrated holiday down here (at least where I live it was). The other people who came and talked to me about having a themed day were two Canadians. :p

So, although most of the holidays might be the ones celebrated in the US - don't assume they are only celebrated there. Pirates day was a big phenomenon down here this year.

Oh, and I'm still looking for one Christmas banner that doesn't contain snow!

Kithera

22. a jedi master

Jun 22, 1999
    I guess you will have to explain then, your not so obvious attempt at comedy.

I wasn't making the comedy, you were, but its seems I'll have to point it out to you......

You keep going on about 'your' holidays, trying to separate the holidays of the USA and other countries. However, the holidays that are celebrated on the JC (namely St Paddy's day, and Halloween) are not actually American holidays, but ones that they have adopted. So, if anything, you are celebrating 'our' holidays, and not your own.

However, my issue with the whole situation is that there are always banners for holidays that are popular in the US, while there are never banners for holidays that are popular in other countries.

Do we celebrate ANZAC day in the US? No? It's not one of our holidays, therefore it would be one of 'your' holidays.

No, it wouldn't be one of 'my' holidays. What gives you that idea ?

Oh, and please drop the St Pattys thing - you are just plain wrong.

23. GIMER

Nov 15, 2000
    Regardless of whether I'm wrong in your opinion or a million people's opinions, I have backed up what I said with my reasons.

I could say I'm wrong based on what a few web sites say, but that doesn't change the way it is used here which is exactly as I have written.
    It sounds like it is different where you are and thats just great for you.

24. Darth_Asabrush

May 21, 2000
    Gimer, while you seem to talk much sense about some things, you must concede that Patty is wrong.

When in Rome and all that. Of my six Irish friends and two Irish colleagues (when I say Irish I mean they were born there, have immediate family still living there and all have strong accents - rather than having a great great great grandfather from the Emeral Isle) none of them say "Patty". They all say "Paddy". Its not what makes the most sense its how the language has evolved.

The abbreviation of Patrick is Paddy NOT Patty. It is pronounced paDDy not paTTy.

I know it doesn't look logical but nor does Harry for Henry.

Having spent the last 28 years in the British Isles I have yet to hear anyone whether they be Irish, Scottish, Manx, Welsh or English say Patty when they were referring to Paddy 8-}

As for the banners - I'll vote for Commonwealth Day!

25. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    What Asa said, and someone mentioned before that the reason that Patrick is abbreviated to Paddy, is because the true Irish name for Patrick is Pádraig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.