main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Turn Your Face to the Sun (DDC 2015: Obi-Wan) COMPLETE, and please vote for your fave DD2015 fic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Jan 22, 2015.

1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    :_| :_| OWWWWWWW! :( :( That hurt.... Superb characterizations all around.

I can feel Kenobi's bitter regret and sense of loss. I was struck as well by Beru's allying on Owen's side of things. Hmmm. It makes sense, of course, and both of them are primarily concerned with Luke's safety.

Congratulations on finishing and I'll follow the sequel. :) @};-

AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  2. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    It's sad to see how protectiveness makes each of them in turns violent and overbearing[face_plain] . Good post, happy new year, and happy writing in 2016, pronker[face_party]

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, how did I see that coming ? I feel for Obi-Wan, but at the same time Owen's actions were very in character.

Congrats on finishing and I look forward to next year.

4. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Congrats on your successful completion of the challenge! I've enjoyed following this all year, and I'm looking forward to next year's diary.

I can't say that I blame Owen and Beru, although I think Owen took it too far. But apparently simply asking for distance didn't work. Not that I condone violence, of course, but Owen had been holding himself back, and in his mind he isn't fighting against Obi-wan but for Luke. From Owen's perspective, Owen's mother was, for practical purposes, Shmi. He loved her. And to see the sorrow that losing Anakin caused Shmi must have had a powerful effect on Owen. Of course he doesn't want that for Luke, who is for all intents and purposes is Owen's own son. Owen loves Luke, and the only thing that the Jedi ever gave to Shmi was desperate hope for a better life for Anakin - Shmi didn't even get her freedom and she never saw her son again until her death. Why would he want that for Luke, and for himself and Beru?

Beru of course feels betrayed. She may not be Luke's birth mother but she is his adoptive mother and you never, EVER go behind the mother's back when it comes to matters concerning her child. She's betrayed because she must feel that all her kindness towards Obi-wan was wasted since he was going to ignore her wishes anyway. She must perceive it as ridiculously disrespectful to her.

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Poor Ben, not being able to teach Luke.
    Happy New year
    Congrats on completing this diary and looking forward to seeing more this year.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    So I somehow had put myself under the impression that I had already commented on these last couple chapters, but it turns out I didn't—ohwhatagooseIam. So I'm going to set things right now. :p

23: It's a relief that Luke's controlling his skills better and better with Obi-Wan's guidance. And he is such a darling—a really sweet, perceptive, empathic little fellow who takes a genuine interest in both the people and animals around him (I have to think that's part of what's informing his many question about Obi-Wan's past). But I can tell it's not easy on him to have to keep his abilities under wraps. To someone as emphatic as him, it's doing major violence to himself not to respond to Rooh when she's "talking" to him. Obi-Wan really does understand that about his young pupil, and I'm convinced that understanding is a good bit of what leads him to commit the "error" of acceding to Luke's eager request.

24: Hoo my. I suppose this was bound to happen—but all the same, yowza! "The situation here has become most distressing" is putting it lightly! Owen's anger and violence is indeed highly frightening, especially his threats to shoot Obi-Wan if he even comes near the homestead again. But what almost hits me harder as a reader is Beru's much more layered reaction. Her disappointment, her feelings of confusion and betrayal, the way she shakes her head when Obi-Wan looks to her for support—the support she had been so consistent in giving before—it's heartrending at this critical juncture. =((

Though her feelings are understandable too: Obi-Wan did take liberties in teaching Luke extra skills, and in doing so he did go against her and Owen's wishes. I almost wonder what Obi-Wan thinks would have happened if he had just gone to Beru and said, "Hey, Luke's interested in learning how to move objects with the Force—may I teach him?" She might well have said "Sure, OK," with maybe one or two small caveats. This is definitely one of those instances where Obi-Wan wasn't quite in touch with his own limitations—and we know that's a bit of a pattern with him. Or, in other words, "when you don't ask, the answer is always 'no.'"

Even so, as grave as they are, these events are the beginning of an important new phase in Obi-Wan's story, and thus a perfect place for this diary to end and the 2016 one to begin. Congratulations on bringing this to completion, and I look forward to following its continuation in the year ahead! =D=

7. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    I will watch Luke from afar. It saddens my heart dreadfully as I have become so very fond of the boy. Not hearing his laugh, his cheerful chatter and insightful questions is as much a loss to me as the chance to properly train him as a Jedi.

This story makes me cry at times. Before reading it, I did not like Obi-Wan too much, because he was always so self-assured & proud in the OT. BUT you managed to give me new character insights with your fanfic. @};-

JadeLotus likes this.
  8. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! Beru liked Obi-Wan very much, but she's hurt and confused by his deception and is always going to put Luke first, with Obi-Wan giving her a reason now not to trust him completely.

Thanks for reading! Owen's the kind of man for whom words never really made sense and when faced with Obi-Wan's betrayal his anger was quick to surface - not the best way to deal with things, but the way he knows.

Thank you! These two men were always at cross purposes and are diametrically opposed in viewpoint, so it was only a matter of time before things came to a head.

Thank you! Yes, I think that while we don't need to condone Owen's actions, I felt there were understandable given his character and the concession he felt he'd already made to Obi-Wan. Shmi was such a powerful figure in his life and he never really got the full story about Anakin, so of course he blames the Jedi for corrupting him, since Shmi always saw the goodness in her son, and in Owen's eyes Shmi could do no wrong. Obi-Wan pushed him too far, and he broke.

And spot on about Beru, she extended her friendship and trust and Obi-Wan went behind her back, so how can she trust him with Luke ever again?

Thanks! Ben's unfortunately failed again, at least in his eyes, so where he goes from here is something I will be exploring in the 2016 diary.

Yes, Obi-Wan is quite fond of animals himself, and can see the strength in Luke at every turn, knowing how difficult it would be to hide that part of himself until he can no longer feel such things. It is against the very core of the Jedi beliefs that Obi-Wan feels so strongly about, and he's also mindful of the challenges Luke will face in the future. A lot of this diary has been focused on Obi-Wan's hubris that was not entirely diminished by Anakin's fall, that same rigidity which will one day lead him to counsel Luke to face and kill his father rather than trying to redeem him.

Yep - while I absolutely adore Obi-Wan, he's terribly flawed when it comes to dealing with "ordinary" people, but that comes from a lifetime of Jedi teaching wherein one finds their answers based on their own instinct, the Force and counsel from other Jedi. It rarely allowed differing viewpoints, and although Obi-Wan has been gradually slipping away to find his own "certain points of view" at the end of the day he believed he knew better than Owen and Beru and so just went ahead rather than putting his own excellent negotiating skills to good use.

Thank you for reading!

Thank you very much! I'm so pleased that I was able to open Obi-Wan up to you a little through this fic.

Thank you to everyone who has read and especially to those who have reviewed. I will be posting my 2016 diary soon, but in the meantime please take the time to vote for your favourite DD fic of 2015, whatever that may be:

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  9. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I finally caught up on the last two entries of this diary and I'm even more finally catching up with a review. And, well, that hurt! :_|

It was wonderful to see Luke's empathy both with Rooh and with Obi-Wan in entry 23, but I had a terribly bad feeling from the moment he showed Luke telekinesis and said "what Owen doesn't know won't hurt him", and of course the poodoo had to hit the fan very soon -- but it was worse that what I imagined.

It's an interesting twist on Owen's motivations to have him be resentful of the Jedi because of what they "did" to Anakin. He seems to imagine them as being more directly involved in Anakin's turn to the dark side than a failure to see what he was going through, and I liked how you highlighted Owen's relationship with Shmi through this. Owen and Obi-Wan are literally light-years away from each other here, and there doesn't seem to be much space for a reconciliation.

Congrats on finishing 2015, and I can't wait to see what you come up with for 2016!

JadeLotus and AzureAngel2 like this.
  10. Irish_Jedi_Jade

Irish_Jedi_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jul 19, 2007
    I just read the whole thing, so great!!!! I love little Luke--so so precious!! [face_love] And Beru was exactly as I imagined her...lovely. Will you tag me in your 2016 journal? I would love to read more!!!! And OH MY GOSH...I love the idea of Mara being a baby Mando!!!!!!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!!! ^:)^

[face_good_luck] Irish

Nyota's Heart likes this.