main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Turn Your Face to the Sun (DDC 2015: Obi-Wan) COMPLETE, and please vote for your fave DD2015 fic!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by JadeLotus, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, those last few paragraphs! This is a new side of Obi-Wan, to be sure. And where it comes from makes perfect sense in a ruthless, existential sort of way, because the purpose of his life now really is nothing more and nothing less than "to protect a single child," Jedi code or no Jedi code. Actually, I guess it's not just in the last few paragraphs that we get hints of that new side of Obi-Wan, because the box ruse shows there are definite "scoundrel" tendencies lurking behind that serene Sir Alec face. (I wonder what he's done with the real records of Luke's Force aptitude, if any—I suppose one doesn't just rent a safe deposit box at the First National Bank and Trust of Anchorhead. :p)

I like that you showed the slave girl's reaction at the end, and that Obi-Wan spares her; he frames in terms of "demonstrating his power" (and presumably scaring her), but given his observation of her earlier in the story there certainly was some genuine compassion in there, too. And I wonder when she might possibly do with the knowledge of this arrangement between Ben and Jabba...

...which is a risky one, to be sure, and I wonder again whether Ben's biting off more than he can chew. Looking forward to see what will come of it and what the implications will be. At least the Larses are off the hook, at least for now. And I'm glad no harm came to Rooh. :)

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I am really, really enjoying this turn of events. Can't wait to see how Obi-Wan explains it all to the Lars', if he even does at all.

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Whoa. Ben, you can be so BA when you want to be.:D

Very clever to set the fake journal up to substantiate the claim that Luke is regrettably non Force sensitive.

Is this sithy behavior? I guess it marks the start of Ben's "certain point of view" when looking at life. He can justify what he did because it serves a greater cause (protecting Luke). I suppose the fact he let the Zeltron woman live also helps him feel better about the taking of life and the lies.

This is the life he has now, and the rules are all different, so understandably the ethics are, too. Excellent update! :cool:

(Edit -- that lock combination. I've seen it before somewhere....)

4. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! I thought it was a neat idea that maybe Jabba had a basis for dismissing Luke in Return of the Jedi - what if he didn't take Luke's threats and claims seriously because at one stage he'd been convinced that Luke had no particular talents? So most of this grew from there.

Thank you! Yes, the slave girl may have a part to play later on once I figure out what that is. I think by ANH Obi-Wan has learnt how Tatooine works and can be quite ruthless - he sliced that guy's hand off in the cantina scene not only to protect Luke, but to make a point and its the same here - Jabba has to know Obi-Wan isn't to be messed with and that he is a genuine threat.

As for the box - well, if Obi-Wan was clever he would have destroyed the true record of Luke's Force aptitude, and wouldn't be writing his every thought down in a diary! But he so desperately needs some record of his life, I think, to stop him from going mad, and has taken proper steps to make sure it will not be discovered (and also killing the two goons mean Jabba doesn't know where he lives). But he's going down a dark path working for Jabba, and if he's not careful may end up becoming one of the henchmen he so despises.

I really love Rooh a lot, and couldn't bear to let anyone hurt her!

Thank you! Owen and Beru aren't going to let him get away without an explanation, that's for sure!

;) But of course! And thank you.

I don't think it's Sithly behaviour yet, but it's certainly not Jedi behaviour - Tatooine is better off without scumbags like Jabba's goons which is how Obi-Wan justified it, and of course in order to protect Luke. It's not his nature to be so ruthless, but even in the Clone Wars he wasn't against the certain point of view point of thinking in order to succeed against an enemy, and now that stakes are much more personal. And he's seen how hesitation and mercy can backfire - not killing Anakin when he really should have unleashed Vader on the galaxy and he doesn't want to make the same mistake, even if perhaps it means he makes all new mistakes. And that doesn't alleviate his guilt or self-loathing.

5. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Tags: @Findswoman, @K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, @serendipityaey

When I returned to my hut on the edge of the Dune Sea Rooh was waiting in her usual spot outside the door. She stared at me with her big black eyes and whined pitifully, nudging my hand as I passed.

“It’s alright, girl,” I soothed her as I crouched down, rubbing the soft skin of her neck. “I’m not mad.” I was thankful to see no outward sign of mistreatment by Jabba’s goons, although I noticed someone had set out some aloki stalks for her to munch on. “They’re here, aren’t they?” I asked the animal, although of course she did not answer. Sighing deeply, I entered my hut and was unsurprised to see Owen and Beru waiting for me. Luke was on the floor happily playing with a stuffed bantha I had bought for him, for once oblivious to the tense emotions of those around him.

“Kenobi,” Owen nodded to me without displacing the scowl from his face. “Why don’t you take a seat.”

I bristled at being directed in my own home and remained standing, folding my arms. “I suppose you are looking for an explanation.”

“At the very least.”

“Owen.” Beru put a hand on her husband’s arm, and he exhaled harshly and looked away. My ire rose slightly – had I not saved them from Jabba’s filthy clutches, protected Luke's secret and improved their financial situation? I do not expect gratitude…or perhaps I do. Perhaps it is not much to ask in return for all I have sacrificed.

“You must have spent I lot of time on that ruse,” Beru said evenly. “How did you know?”

I relaxed slightly and gave her a smile, spreading my hands. “Once I realised that Jabba was involved, I knew it was only a matter of time before they found me. I forged the midichlorian test results and wrote a new diary – and I apologise for the...less than flattering things I wrote about you both and Luke. I’m sure you understand it was necessary.”

Owen’s jaw visibly clenched, and Beru gave me a tight smile as she fiddled with the tight bun tied at the nape of her neck – a nervous habit of hers. “Of course,” she said. “Where is the real one?”

“Safe,” I assured her, not quite prepared to give her all my secrets. “Trust me, it will not be found.”

Owen cleared his throat, although he was still looking steadfastly at the wall. “So Luke has the Force after all?”

I realise now that my ruse had perhaps given Owen a moment of wild, desperate hope – that Luke wasn’t in fact Force sensitive, but a normal child he did not have to constantly worry over.

“His midichlorian count is far higher than 3,000,” I told them, which only made Owen grimace again.

“What is his count?” Beru asked, leaning forward and ruffling Luke’s hair slightly. At her touch the boy turned around and beamed at her, and Beru smiled back at him with as much love as any mother would.

“Well…” I was reluctant, but perhaps it was best that they understand. “Luke has 20,000 midichlorians per cell.”

Beru’s mouth dropped open and she put one hand over her throat in clear surprise. This was a reaction Luke did not fail to notice, using Beru’s knee for leverage as he pulled himself up off the floor and reached out to her. She enfolded him into her tight embrace, her shoulders shaking with slight sobs as she pressed her face into his hair. Owen reacted as well, turning to her and rubbing her back lightly.

“It will be alright, Beru,” he whispered to her, his usual gruffness absent. “I will make things right.”

“I had no idea,” she sniffed. “How hard this will be for him.”

I felt rather like an intruder, and shifted my stance uncomfortably. “It is high,” I conceded. “Higher than myself, certainly. But with the proper training-”

“There it is,” Owen’s voice was razor-sharp. “Did I not tell you, Beru? You think him so brave, but he is self-serving.”

Beru wiped the tears from her eyes with some help from Luke, his chubby fingers patting her cheeks. This made her smile, taking his small hands and kissing his palms. “But he saved Luke today,” she argued, turning back to Owen. “He took away our debt.”

“No, he simply transferred it,” Owen spat out, shooting me a venomous look. “We owe him now, and no doubt he will collect – force us to let him corrupt Luke with that Jedi nonsense.”

There is no emotion, there is peace, there is no emotion, there is peace. I repeated the mantra until I no longer wanted to throttle Owen in a most uncivilized manner. The lack of gratitude is bad enough, but to insult my character so? It was not to be borne, and I was about to explain to Owen in detail why when Luke started screaming.

“Oh, Luke,” Beru tried to soothe him, rocking him in her arms and kissing his head. “I think he needs to be changed Owen, can you do it please?” Without waiting for his response Beru plonked Luke down in Owen’s arms and shooed him in the direction of the ‘fresher. “Ben had some supplies in there,” she assured him, giving him a little nudge in the back.

Owen was not happy, but acquiesced to his wife’s instruction and took Luke into the ‘fresher. Beru sighed and turned to me, her forehead creasing in distress.

“Why can’t you boys get along, for Luke’s sake?”

“The problem is not with me,” I defended myself, shaking my head in disbelief. “All I am trying to do is protect Luke.”

“As is Owen,” Beru said as she approached me, touching my arm lightly. “You just disagree on how best to do that. I appreciate all that you are doing for us, Ben – so does Owen, even if he doesn’t realise it. He is a proud man, and the thought that he cannot protect his family without assistance wounds him deeply.”

On reflection, I can see Owen’s point – yes of course I am protecting Luke for his own sake, and yet I cannot deny that he is one of the last hopes for the Jedi. I do want to train him, Owen was right about that, and perhaps my eagerness to come to their aid was in part to curry favour. I keep thinking that eventually I will wear Owen down, and he will see why Luke needs to be trained in the ways of the Force.

The Lars family left soon after, and Owen apologized for his outburst – although he almost choked on the words. I know Beru worries about me working for Jabba and what I might have to do to earn his good grace, but I am resolved not to concern myself with that until the time comes. Although I did not tell Beru about dispatching Jabba's goons - perhaps I have proved myself to be of lesser character than I thought. The ease in which I made the decision to end their lives was as quick as any bounty hunter might have done with someone who came between them and their prey.

So, Qui-Gon, do you approve? You were always fond of the unconventional, and the ends justifying the means – would you have done the same? I have killed before in battle which did not trouble my conscience, and is not my life here on Tatooine a battle of a different kind? Jabba respects power and strength, so my actions served me two-fold and will go a long way to ensuring I can continue to protect Luke. That is, after all, why I am here.

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Oh Qui-Gon, why don’t you speak to me? It has been hours since I wrote the above, and you have not come.

Do you disapprove after all, have I breached some kind of moral fabric of the universe which prevents you from appearing the counsel me? In the war we had rules of engagement, and my opponents went into battle knowing death could be the outcome – this was not so at Jabba’s Palace. I murdered those two men in cold blood, violating the mind of another, and I told myself it was the right thing because of Luke, because of Owen and Beru, because of everyone how had suffered at their hand. But that does not make it right, and now it can never be right again. I can never be right again.

I despair, and regret, and I am a Jedi no longer.

6. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    "The problem is not with me"—why am I reminded of the "It's not my fault!" that will become the mantra of some of Ben's future comrades? [face_laugh]

A lot about Owen's attitude, and particularly his negative attitude toward Ben, gets revealed here: it's precisely because he doesn't want to feel beholden to Ben on the matter of protecting Luke: it's summed up when Beru says, "He is a proud man, and the thought that he cannot protect his family without assistance"—and especially without the assistance of this strange, head-in-the-clouds mystical hermit—"wounds him deeply."

But just going by my own non-Jedi standards, Ben's not wrong to feel he should get a little gratitude from Owen for all the effort and trouble he's gone through on Luke's behalf. I wonder too if the "true" diary really is as secure as he says.

Then there's the aftershock of the murder and mind-violation at Jabba's Palace, which has brought Ben to some difficult and (to him) previously unknown territory. Add to that the rather scary hint that Qui-Gon's spirit has failed to speak to him precisely because of those actions and the disturbance in the Force (?) that he created thereby. Is a new, darker, Qui-Gon-less phase of this journal going to start because of that? Is Ben really not a Jedi anymore, or is this (rather than Luke's academy many years later) the actual beginning of a New Order? ("Point of view" and all...)

Hefty questions here, but oh how they enhance the reading experience! :D

Ewok Poet, AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Awesome insights from Beru on why Owen is so prickly. [face_thinking] Yes, you would expect gratitude or hope for it. And naturally, training Luke would be risky but also a form of protection. Having that much raw ability untained :eek: - [face_nail_biting] And all that is happening and all that everyone is feeling and reacting, very much in character. =D=

AzureAngel2 and JadeLotus like this.
  8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    WOW great insight in all the characters in this update

9. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You really prove here that not even Ben is as perfect and noble as he wishes himself to be. He is very real and human in your fanfic, making understandable choices. @};-

JadeLotus likes this.
  10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    The good thing when DRL hits you and you miss several updates is that you then get to read them all in one sitting and you don't spend every week biting your nails waiting for the next update -- because this was cliffie after cliffie!

The scene in Jabba's palace was perfect, perfect Star Wars. The goons, the majordomo, the protocol droid and the dance slave, including the heads rolling off -- I could just picture it all. I was sure that Ben had an ace up his sleeve and there it was, of course :D Now I'm wondering if his moment of mercy towards the protocol droid is going to come and bite him in the butt at some point. After all, droids are known for remembering everything unless they are subjected to a memory wipe, and I imagine that Jabba will keep this witness of the deal preciously [face_thinking]

And then the explanation scene with Beru and Owen. I love how you built Beru's personality throughout this story, but I think I might like Owen's characterisation even more, because of the impressionistic way you develop it. We learn as much about him through his brief appearances as we do through what Beru says of him. And, well, the man has a grumpy temper and a heart of gold.

I'm curious to see if Obi-Wan really "dropped out" from being a Jedi with all this. My guess is that he'll find his way back to communicating with Qui-Gon but it will be a long and winding road. Eagerly waiting for more!

11. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Entry 13: That was brilliant, a fake journal and midichlorian test. And I assume fake trunk entirely.

It would help if you numbered your journal entries.

12. jedi1952

jedi1952 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 15, 2007
    Entry 14: You know, I always thought the Obi-Wan in ANH was a little mad. And who could blame him? But you have built a case to support that view. Not totally mad, just a bit.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    EEEEK . I missed a few updates, but I'm kinda glad I got to read them all at once. I like how we are seeing the development of Kenobi from the Jedi Master we saw in ep III to the crazy old man who saw things "from a certain point of view' in ep IV. He is reminding me of Qui-Gon a bit.

14. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    I really love Owen, and even though he is somewhat unreasonable and ungrateful towards Obi-Wan, I think it comes from a genuine place and concern for Luke's welfare. What I find so interesting in the conflict between the two is that both are right from their own points of view, and both of their attitudes are valid. Of course Owen wins out in the end since Luke is not trained, but I think the journey there is quite complex and I'l looking forward to exploring it.

*taps nose* I won't say anything about this as the upcoming chapters should speak for themselves, but yes Ben is starting down a rather unorthodox path and opening himself up to the threat of the dark side. He of all people should know that the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Thank you! It's natural for Obi-Wan to expect a bit of acknowledgement for all he's done, especially the risks he's taken - but Owen is overly suspicious of his motives which doesn't help the situation.

Many thanks!

Thank you, Obi-Wan is a great, flawed character who often falls short of the ideals he has for himself.

Thank you! Obi-Wan assumes that Jabba has his droids memories wiped regularly, or at least doesn't trust anyone else with the information, but he may come unstuck eventually...

I really, really love Owen and Beru, and have a lot to do with the way Luke turned out - Owen may have been gruff and tough, but I don't think there's any doubt he loved Luke and only wanted to protect him.

Yep, Obi-Wan was prepared. I haven't included entry numbers because I don't think Obi-Wan would number his entries, and these are only a snapshot of his journal, but if it helps readers I'll include them :)

I agree - isolation and hard living would be enough to drive anyone a bit mad!

Thank you! I certainly think Obi-Wan appreciated Qui-Gon's viewpoint the older he got, and began less and less attached to the rules as opposed to making his own way.

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  15. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    I'm so sorry I missed this! Ben's mind is in a turmoil, his conscience is tearing at him, and he came close to alienating the only two allies he has. That last part captures his sense of abandonment and fear so eloquently.

Owen's gruffness and ire are shields to protect himself and those he loves. Seeing firsthand the destruction from Anakin (Owen must have known about the massacre at the Tusken camp), he understandably would have a negative attitude toward Jedi. Add to that a twenty year stream of imperial propaganda...the last thing he wants for his boy is for him to become his uncontrollable, murderous father.

Thank heavens for clever, sweet Beru. Without her there would be no (new) hope.

16. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Thank you! Obi-Wan is doing his best, but his training and experiences leave him somewhat ill-equipped to deal with the situation. And as for Owen I think you're right - he fears Luke becoming Anakin (not knowing that in nature Luke is actually far more like Padme) and isn't about to trust the man who trained Anakin to train Luke as well, because look at Obi-Wan's track record!

Tags: Findswoman, K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, serendipityaey

Entry 15

Dear Qui-Gon,

It has been a while since I wrote in this journal, and even longer since you last appeared to me. I wonder whether you disapprove of my new occupation as Jabba the Hutt’s bounty hunter, or perhaps the veil between our worlds has become too heavy for you to push aside. I have not dared ask Yoda if you still commune with him for fear of the answer. He disapproves of course.

A Jedi you are, Obi-Wan, he has said. No honour a mercenary has.

It is easier for him, sequestered away on Dagobah. He does not have young Luke’s life in is hands, for all he watches over the boy through his Force-sight. He reminds me whenever we communicate that the boy is three years old now and under the Old Order he would have already started his training. I grew frustrated the last time, and suggested that perhaps he would like to come to Tatooine and persuade Owen Lars to let him train the boy, and I can sit in a swamp and judge his efforts.

Unhelpful your sharp tongue is, Obi-Wan, Yoda told me tartly. Instead on your task your focus should be.

It has been some time since we have spoken, and I have done everything the Jabba the Hutt has asked for me – perhaps Yoda is jealous that I heed the Hutt’s word more than his own! Thankfully, my work for Jabba has not included anything which has troubled my conscience too deeply. I helped rescue some of his bantha herd that had gotten lost in the desert and chased down debtors among his crime faction in Mos Eisley. I even attended a meeting with one of his Hutt family members – in the shadows of course – so I could advise him of the veracity of his cousin’s words. The result was the acquisition of a trading route to Kessel, quite a financial boon for Jabba and he was exceedingly pleased with me. By way of the meeting I also uncovered his cousin Hutt had his own spy in Jabba’s court, a Rodian by the name of Silas. Unfortunately, Silas grew suspicious when his master’s negotiations with Jabba did not go as planned, and fled offworld.

This required me to heed Jabba’s command to bring to Rodian back to face Hutt justice, a cause of some anxiety. I was loathe to leave the Luke unprotected even for a short while, and I knew that the chances of my discovery were far higher once I returned to the Inner Rim. Jabba assured me that our deal would stand and the Lars farm and family would remain unmolested – provided of course that I was successful. It was a reminder that the future is not assured, and that my charge still remains in danger, although I trust Jabba will keep his side of our bargain as long as I am of use to him.

So my duty took me into Imperial Space – to the Mandalore moon of Concordia where I had tracked Silas down. The planet was far too close for comfort, and my heart was heavy to see the once beautiful and peaceful world assimilated so completely into the Empire. How my dear Satine would have wept to see the Imperial Academy blighting the capital city of Sundari, its grey walls built high on the site where the Peace Park had once stood. Perhaps it is well that she cannot see how her beloved Mandalore has fallen, how the hard-fought neutrality of her people during the Clone Wars has been replaced by Imperial recruits creating a new order of so-called “stormtroopers.”

I think of her often, and you will forgive me if I do not feel right putting such thoughts in writing.

I will stick to recounting my mission. While Mandalore is Imperial territory, it appears that its moon Concordia remains a haven for bounty hunters, mercenaries and other criminals. I had procured some armor in the Old Mandalorian style, for the customary helmet is useful for hiding my identity and although it would have made me a target on Imperial streets, among the criminal brethren it does not seem out of place.

Unfortunately, I miscalculated on this point, for while in any other system the armor is not uncommon among those who have fled Mandalore to escape the Empire and pursue lucrative careers in crime, on the moon of Concordia it drew the attention of a group I thought long since stamped out. It was in one of the dingy bars littering the moon settlement, and I had been making discreet enquiries as to the whereabouts of Silas since I knew him to be lodging somewhere in the city, likely looking for a new master to align himself with. A group of Mandalorians were seated at the table next to mine, and I took pains to avoid speaking with them, for a recognized the symbol on their helmets at once.

They wore grey and blue armor, such that I had not seen since the Clone Wars – the armor of Death Watch. I do not know how they took me for a fraud, but evidently they had been listening to my hushed conversations with the other patrons for some time, and despite concealing my Coruscanti accent I must have slipped. My danger sense flared but I was no match for a brawl against five, and I had left my lightsaber on my ship as I could not conceal it in my armor.

They tussled me up a bit, although the armor did its work and prevented any serious injury, then dragged me to the back room of the bar, where they locked the door behind them and forced me into a chair. Another Mandalorian sat at the rear of the room, shrouded in shadow with their booted feet propped up on a table.

“What have we here?” Her voice was steely and measured, and I recognised it immediately.

“An imposter,” said the man next to me as he removed my helmet forcefully. “He is no true Mandalorian, but an outsider – a dishonor to us.”

I felt his gloved fist slam across my face and tasted blood in my mouth, yet I did not cry out. I’d felt worse pain in my life. This seemed to irritate my attacker, who punched me again and I felt my nose break. That almost made me happy, because perhaps it would not heal properly and disfigure my face enough to hide my identity in the future.

“Stop,” the female voice commanded from the shadows, and her lieutenant obeyed immediately, stepping aside to stand at attention facing her. She rose from her seat and walked slowly into the light, illuminating a pale, hard-edged face softened only by the sprinkling of freckles across her cheeks. Her red hair was cropped around her shoulders, and pale green eyes studied me intently.

“Hello, Kenobi,” Bo-Katan said with a smug smile. “How nice to see you again.”

Notes:
    Death Watch
    Bo-Katan

17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Superb tone here! =D= A strong current of cynical despndency. [face_thinking] :( Yes, I can just bet Satine would be horrified and devastated by the changes wrought on Mandalore, and that's not the final place you could say that about, doubtless. :p Glad Kenobi's work for Jabba hasn't stretched the bounds of his conscience too much although it certainly is risky! :eek: Not surprised at all Yoda disapproves. @};-

18. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    interesting development

JadeLotus and AzureAngel2 like this.
  19. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    You are certainly full of surprises, JadeLotus. This is why your main character ends up with such a dangerous, yet exciting life style, which is certainly disapproved by master Yoda.

JadeLotus and Nyota's Heart like this.
  20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, Ben is taking "certain point of view" to a whole new level by entering Jabba's entourage basically as one of his goons. I see why Yoda expresses the disapproval that he does, but, as our hero observes, it's all very well for him to say, and there's something oddly admirable about his cockiness. Ben donning beskar'gam is a very new and even mindblowing image for me in light of the adversarial history between the Jedi and the Mandalorians. (I guess might have worn such armor in TCW, I guess, but I still haven't seen it. [face_blush] ) That aspect of this entry would work perfectly for the current OC challenge theme ("your character walks in another's shoes") if Ben weren't a canon character. And as we see it was a risky move, but also one that seems to have brought him into contact with past comrades in an interesting way. Looking forward to seeing what's next. :)

21. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005

Obi-Wan is deep in self-loathing and sorrow only worsened now that he's been confronted with the realities of Imperial space - whether he'll fall further down the rabbit hole with Jabba remains to be seen...

It felt too horrible for Obi-Wan to be stuck on Tatooine for those twenty years, and I think it makes sense he may have journeyed off on occasion.

I think Yoda would disapprove of anything exciting :p

Yes, Obi-Wan wore Mando armor in The Clone Wars, so it wasn't a completely new experience - he's been both Bo-Katan's enemy and ally in the past so this time he can't be sure what to expect. He's already compromised more than he ever thought he would to protect Luke, and doesn't need chiding from Yoda for it!

AzureAngel2 and Findswoman like this.
  22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    OH YES BO-KATAN! This is going either REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD!

I love that Yoda is so forward in his disapproval.

And this

I really like that we are also getting the physical transformation from McGregor to Guinness here. Nice touch.

23. divapilot

Nov 30, 2005
    well. that went to an unexpected place! Ben is kind of going back to his element, only on the other side of the table, so to speak. I am not familiar with the Clone Wars too much but I can tell this is a lady not to be messed with.

Very convincingly written and I am dying to find out what happens next! :D

24. JadeLotus

Mar 27, 2005
    Thank you! There's a practicality to Obi-Wan's thinking under all that self-loathing.

The reason for the side-trip will become apparent in the next chapter ;) And yes, Ben is back to being the Great Negotiator, and he knows from experience that Bo-Katan means serious business...

Tags: Findswoman K'Tai qel Letta-Tanku, serendipityaey

Entry 16

They covered my head in a burlap sack, took me out the back door of the bar and shoved me into a speeder. We traveled for some time, although as far as I knew they were driving around in circles for a while to give the illusion of distance. When we eventually stopped they hustled me inside a building and tied me to a chair in a dark room, where they left me alone for some time.

The Mandalorian armor was hot and uncomfortable, or perhaps I just feel ill-at ease in it. I tried to meditate to keep my mind of it and pass the time, so I would not worry about what Bo-Katan and her crew would do to me. Although we were allies for a short while at the end of the Clone Wars, I am certain that Bo-Katan still hates me and the Jedi for our part in what has happened to Mandalore - for what happened to her sister.

It was my fault Satine died, after all.

After what seemed like hours the sack was yanked from my head, and the sudden light in the room stung my eyes. When they adjusted I saw Bo-Katan sit down in a chair opposite mine - she still wore her Death Watch armor, although without her jetpack or helmet. Her sharp green eyes glared at me for several minutes and I stared back at her in silence. I usually found such a tactic to unnerve people, but Bo-Katan held my gaze, unblinking, until she rolled her eyes upwards and sighed.

“I assume you’re no longer going by the name Kenobi,” she said in that hard-edged voice of hers, the one that invited no argument.

“No - they call me Sikesh now,” I confirmed, giving her my cover name.

“Where did you get that armor?” she asked.

“I...liberated it from a bounty.” It was the truth - both the name and demeanor I had acquired from a particularly slimy character who had accepted a bounty from Jabba and succeeded in the job, but had ransomed the prize back to her family for twice the credits. The fool had not even left Mos Eisley when I caught up with him and returned him to Jabba, and at night I try to forget the sound of the rancor crunching the man’s bones. One less scum-merchant in the galaxy, I tell myself, as if that should alleviate my guilt.

“You’re a skiptracer?” Bo-Katan seemed surprised.

I feigned embarrassment, and ducked my head. “One has to make a living.”

“Bounty hunters," she sniffed. “Riff-raff and scum - a dishonour to our proud Mandalorian heritage. You’re almost as bad as that Fett boy, running around with Cad Bane and Aurra Sing.”

My interest was piqued by the name - I had heard rumors in Jabba’s court that Bane’s Syndicate was still active despite attempts by the Empire to squash it. Thankfully Jabba had not yet shown any inclination towards employing them since would go badly for me as many of Bane’s crew knew my face.

“Except he’s worse,” Bo-Katan continued, smacking a closed fist into her palm. “He should know better.” She stood and walked over to side of the room on which hung a large map of the ancient city of Sundari, long destroyed by the Mandalorian wars. “All around us there are thieves and betrayers - those pacifists who did nothing, whose beloved neutrality allowed the Empire to take over.” She gently traced the curves and lines of the old city map. “We should have fought - we all should have risen up the day Palpatine’s war ships breached our airspace.”

“You would have all died,” I told her gently. From what I had gathered from the holonet, the subjugation of Mandalore had been quite simple in the end. The Parliament had maintained their desire for neutrality but had been mindful of the Star Destroyers blockading the planet while negotiations proceeded. It was the death by a thousand cuts; one submission after the other until a Governor had been installed in the Palace and an Imperial Academy built at the very heart of the city.

“Better to die than to suffer under the Imperial yoke,” Bo-Katan turned back to me, fists clenched and eyes blazing. “Like Satine - I envy her that.”

My heart was pained to hear her name, unable to forget that terrible moment when Darth Maul cut her down for the sole reason that it would hurt me. But I squashed my hurt, not forgetting how perilous my situation was and yet unable to keep silent.

“She would have wanted you to live,” I said softly, and saw Bo-Katan's face become hard and pinched.

“But not to fight," she said stiffly, and her eyes were dark and cold. “No, it is better she is dead. She would have been one of those who allowed the Empire to take hold, and then I would have had to kill her myself.”

I felt slightly sick - for my own pain and hers, for the agony of such a thought - all that we have lost and all that we have become in this new galaxy. I doubt very much that Bo-Katan’s words were the truth, and yet given my perilous position I chose not to argue.

It soon became irrelevant when a small child burst through the door, ginger hair flying behind her. “Mama!” she cried as she flung herself into Bo’s arms. I had not realised that the dwelling was a home, as the room we were in gave the appearance of a meeting space, and yet glancing back through the open door the girl had left I saw the warmth of a domestic life. She could not have been more than four, clad in sleep clothes and her face soaked in tears.

“You have a child?” I asked Bo-Katan, looking at her in shock. I could feel the girl’s distress roiling off her in waves, and knew that no ordinary nightmare had woken her.

Bo-Katan ignored me, putting the girl down on the empty chair and pushing back the hair from her face. “Mara,” she scolded her. “What have I told you about disturbing me?”

Mara sniffed and wiped her nose. “Not to...but I had a bad dream.”

“Dreams cannot hurt you,” Bo said stiffly, and yet there was a tenderness in the way she stroked the girl’s hair.

“My head felt hot again,” Mara pressed one hand to the side of her temple. “It feels angry.”

“Shhh,” Bo-Katan urged her, drawing the girl into her embrace made somewhat difficult by her armor. “It’s alright.” The child’s sobs soon died down, and peering over Bo-Katan’s shoulder she seemed to notice me for the first time. Her brow furrowed and her lips curled into a frown, as if my mere presence was offensive to her. I tried to smile, but this only seemed to agitate the girl further, and she buried her head in the cold armor of Bo-Katan’s shoulder somewhat unsuccessfully. Without another glance at me Bo-Katan picked the child up and carried her out of the room, returning some time later wearing a tired expression.

She said nothing as she again took her seat facing me and we sat in silence for several minutes, staring at one another as if in stalemate.

“The child is Force sensitive,” I said when I could bear it no more.

Bo pursed her lips and then sighed heavily. “I know.”

The selfish part of me knew in that moment I’d won – Bo would not turn me over to the Empire or anyone else for fear for her child. Of course I would never put the girl in such jeopardy, but Bo didn’t know that, and for once I could use her hatred of Jedi to my advantage.

“She felt your anger,” I said cautiously. “And it caused her distress. If I could sense it an Imperial agent may also.” I’d heard rumors of the new Force acolytes of the Emperor - the Inquisitors who were helping Vader hunt down the remaining Jedi and any child found to have the Force.

“It will not matter,” Bo-Katan shook her head. “All will be well soon enough.”

Her words struck me with apprehension. “What are you planning?” I asked, not sure I wanted to hear the answer.

“I told you once,” Bo-Katan said in her voice of steel. “No outsider will ever rule Mandalore. We will take the planet back from the Empire.”

“But your child,” I protested. “Surely you know you cannot put her within the reach of the Empire – if she is captured Force knows what they will do to her. If she’s lucky they’ll kill her. If not…”

“This is for her,” Bo insisted. “The rule of Mandalore is her heritage, her right. I can give that to her, to all of my people.”

So they were planning a war - perhaps even an assault on the planet as Death Watch had done during the Clone Wars. But this time there were armed stormtroopers on the streets who would not hesitate to fight back. Even if they had insurgent support in Sundari it would be a hard task, and yet I knew there was nothing I could do to stop them.

“What will you do with me?” I asked, resigned.

“I know where your bounty is,” Bo-Katan said. “I’ll tell you, if you do something for me in return.”

“If it’s within my power.”

“It is,” Bo-Katan nodded. “Teach Mara how to hide her abilities, or shield herself of whatever you call it.”

The request was so shocking I took a few moments before responding. “Such training takes a long time,” I said uneasily. “And great skill. Even among the greatest of the Jedi, few could truly hide their presence. But I can teach her rudimentary control,” I conceded, deeply moved to help this child who would walk such a dangerous path. “Enough that she will show no physical manifestation of the Force.”

“Then do it,” she ordered me.

I spent several hours with the child, although it took some time for her to trust me, so harshly had she been told to keep her abilities secret. I tried to explain that I was a friend of her mother’s, but she saw through that easily enough. Eventually I told her the story of when I’d been tasked with protecting her Aunt Satine during the Mandalore Civil War, and how we had outrun bounty hunters and insurgents and through the course of it all fell in love. However, we both knew our duties lay elsewhere, myself to the Jedi Order and hers to rebuild the government on Mandalore. Sometimes, I told the child, life brings us great trials along with great happiness, and we must choose to stay true to our duty and purpose.

“What happened to her?” Mara asked me, wide-eyed and transfixed by my story. In the corner of the room Bo-Katan was glaring at me, although I couldn’t quite decipher her expression.

“She died, young one,” I told her child gently, putting my hand on her shoulder. “Only a few years ago now.”

Mara scrunched up her face. “You didn’t protect her in the end, then.”

“No,” I sighed, a great weight upon my heart. “I suppose not.”

Satine Kryze
    Mandalorian Civil War

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    All right, three guesses about the later identity of this young Force-sensitive girl named Mara who's the daughter of a redhead... ;) Her appearance was the 180-degree turn in this chapter, revealing Bo-Katan's weak spot and a potential bargaining point, and also saving Ben's bacon in a big way! Teaching such a young child Force control is going to be quite a task; it will no doubt take more than just this one session, which seems off to a slightly rocky start with Mara's observation that Obi-Wan failed to protect her aunt. Looks like Ben might have two young Force-sensitives to protect now. Now I wonder if, even at this very young stage, the two youngsters will get to meet each other. (Mara's 4, and Luke's still not yet 1, right? Is that their Legends-canon age difference too?)

For some reason I just loved it when Bo said “Bounty hunters . . . Riff-raff and scum - a dishonour to our proud Mandalorian heritage.” I'd always sort of wondered in the back of my head what larger Mandalorian society would think of the Fett types and their use (appropriation?!) the traditional armor.

And now I wish I knew TCW better. Maybe this story (and others here) will result in my finally watching it! Now there's a YKYAFFWW for you—when you watch or read official material you might not otherwise have watched or read for the specific purpose of enjoying fan-created material. :D

AzureAngel2, JadeLotus and divapilot like this.