Amph Turner Classic Movies: RARE FILM ALERT: "Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages" (1922) on TCM Tonight

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Peter Bogdanovich hosts a show called "The Essentials" on Saturday Night, with a repeat on Sunday.

Some of these movies are more essential that others. This week it's "Some Came Running" starring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin & Shirley MacLaine, and despite the cast it is not a 'clan' picture.

Directed by Vincente Minelli, and based on a book by James Jones. Haven't seen this myself.

2. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    "Some Came Running" was beautifully done without being having much of a plot. The midway sequence especially.

The next night that has things of interest: Tuesday, Jan. 17

First: "Brief Encounter" Very famous old English (1945) weeper, a rare chance to see the terrific Celia Johnson

Second: "Genevieve" Another English film. Genevieve is a classic car, and it concerns a classic car race. A rare chance to see the terrific Kay Kendal.

Then there are three Richard Basehart films: "He Walked by Night", "The Black Book" and "Tension". Haven't seen any of these. The first & third are noirs, and the second one, aka "Reign of Terror" is a costumer set during the French Revolution & directed by Anthony Mann (!) Mann is a famous director of Westerns, so I'd be curious to see these films.
  3. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I've wanted to see Genevieve for years now. Never got around to it.
  4. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    It's a bit pokey, but enjoyable, and Kendall is great fun.
  5. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    On Sunday night, they are showing the original silent "The Scarlett Letter" starring Lillian Gish. I haven't seen this myself, but it is said to be very good.
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Because of the death of Shelly Winters, they are showing a number of her better films on Monday. A caution: her films are rarely good because she's in them. In fact, when she's offed by Montgomery Clift in "A Place in the Sun", I resisted the impulse to cheer.

Recommended: "A Place in the Sun" (though the 30's version is better); "Lolita"; "Wincester 73"; and "The Scalphunters"

ALERT! They are also showing "Greed" on Tuesday. Famous silent movie directed by Von Stoheim.
  7. dudalb Jedi Knight

star 3
    "Winchester 73" is one of the best Westerns ever made, period.
  8. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Great movie, yes.

Hey, Rogue, I dare you: "The Boys From Brazil" is one TCM on January 27th. For those who love egregiously hammy performances: Gregory Peck as Josef Mengele (!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and campy ones: Laurence Olivier as Simon Wisenthal.
  9. Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling

star 4
    Ah, The Boys from Brazil. Harris' Archangel always reminded me of it. Saw the trailer for it on TCM last time I was home, and must admit it was horrible (how many times in a single trailer cna you show a photo-negative Doberman barking?). But the movie itself was enjoyable, at least for a single viewing. And on the bright side, if it wasn't for Boys form Brazil, we'd never have gotten Mini-Me.
  10. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    And I forgot to say: the kid who played Hitler was awful in two accents.
  11. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    You know, I would, but I don't actually get the channel myself . . . I could perhaps conspire to be over with my relatives that do.

I'll see what I can do. :p

Two, you're making me want to dig up some of my old, old AFI movie topics again . . . :) I hope you'll stick around for a while.
  12. Ive_Got_Two_Legs Jedi Youngling

star 4
  13. MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor

VIP
    star 5
    I love TCM. [face_love] I haven't watched Boys from Brazil in ages. I just remember blue eyed boys and Gregory Peck as Mengele. :p
  14. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    The next good day is Tuesday:

First: Olivier's "Hamlet" 3:15 pm EST
    Then: "Black Narcissus" 6:00 pm EST This move was awarded a special Oscar 2 or 3 years ago, even though it was made in 1947. It was for tremendous colour photography. Well deserved. There is also a humdinger of a performance by an obscure actress called Kathleen Byron. This is quite possibly one of the weirdest films ever made. Don't miss it.
    Then: "Ball of Fire" 8:00 p.m. EST Very funny comedy with Gary Cooper & Barbara Stanwyck.
    Then: "Born Yesterday" 10:00 pm. EST Very funny comedy with Best Actress Oscar for Judy Holliday.
    Then: "My Fair Lady" at midnite EST. Rex Harrison's Best Oscar performance.
    Then: "Singin' in the Rain" 3:00 am EST Possibly the best musical ever made
    Finally: "Mogambo" 6:00 am EST Comedy-melodrama with Clark Gable, Ava Gardner & Grace Kelly
  15. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    No kidding, don't miss "Black Narcissus" :D
  16. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    RARE FILM ALERT: "Sunrise" (1927), one of the most famous silent films, directed by Murnau, will be shown on TCM on Sunday, 8:00 pm. EST
  17. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    RARE FILM ALERT: "The Long Voyage Home" starring John Wayne on the 17th. Based on Eugene O'Neill. Directed by Ford. Also two other Wayne films: "She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" and "The Quiet Man" which are both worth seeing if you haven't.

18. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    I missed Sunrise :(

Murnau created the best vampire film and it`s still going strong after 80 years
  19. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    They had "Greed" on a few weeks ago, too. And the original "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse."
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Uping this as the movie is on Friday...
  21. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Orphans of the Storm" (1921) on TMC on Sunday night.

Starring Lillian Gish, Dorothy Gish, and Joseph Schildkraut. It's a story about the French Revolution, directed by D. W. Griffith. Silent film.
  22. Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Master

star 4
    Wrote it on the day planner. Thanks!
  23. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Just a reminder: this movie is on tonight...
  24. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    ...And no it isn't. They showed a silent comedy, a bad silent comedy instead. What is with TCM, anyway?
  25. Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Master

star 4
    It was on here in the States, unfortunately I had just watched Twelve Angry Men, and only saw about half the silent film as I grew too tired last night. Not the best silent I've ever since. Dreadfully choppy narrative even for a silent film.

Maybe in a fresher state of mind I could have finished the film. Need to give Orphans of the Storm a second go around.