main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Turner Classic Movies: RARE FILM ALERT: "Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages" (1922) on TCM Tonight

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    God, what a cast! I haven't seen this one either, but it's infamous.

2. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    What's On Tonight: TCM SPOTLIGHT: THE HISTORY OF HOLLYWOOD

8:00pm Moguls & Movie Stars, A History of Hollywood: Peepshow Pioneers (2010)
    [Letterbox] [Close Captioned] [Email Remind Me]

9:00pm Films of Thomas Edison, The (1893)
    [Email Remind Me]

11:00pm Moguls & Movie Stars, A History of Hollywood: Peepshow Pioneers (2010)
    [Letterbox] [Close Captioned] [Email Remind Me]
    12:05am D.W. Griffith with Biograph (1909)
    [Email Remind Me]

2:10am Films of Georges Melies, The (1896)
    [Email Remind Me]

4:00am [Silent] Silent Shakespeare (1908)
    A collection of seven silent shorts based on the plays of William Shakespeare, including King John (1899), King Lear (1910) and Richard III (1911).
    BW-88 mins, TV-G

3. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Tonight on TCM:

10:00 PM Local Hero (1983)
    An American executive gets involved with the inhabitants of a Scottish village he's scouting for a new refinery. Cast: Burt Lancaster, Peter Riegert, Denis Lawson. Dir: Bill Forsyth. C-111 mins, TV-MA, Letterbox Format

2:00 AM Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
    An ambitious young man sets out to kill everyone who stands between him and a fortune. Cast: Alec Guinness, Dennis Price, Joan Greenwood. Dir: Robert Hamer. BW-106 mins, TV-PG

4. JohnWesleyDowney

JohnWesleyDowney Jedi Master star 5

Jan 27, 2004

Michael J. Fox has good taste. Those are all interesting films, and I particularly like Local Hero since it was partially filmed in Houston.

Kind Hearts and Coronets starts in ten minutes....from....Mark!

5. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I must admit that the first time I saw Local Hero was because I wanted to see Denis Lawson, but it turned out to be one of my favorite films.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Yes, it's a marvelous film. As is "Kind Hearts". I was curious about the director of the latter, Robert Hamer, of whom I've heard very little. Apparently, he was a alcoholic, and gay, and died very young. A shame, because "Kind Hearts" is deadpan funny.

7. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    A friend lent me Local Hero last year to watch. The first 15-20 mins had me stumped on how to react to the film (was it meant to be a comedy? Played straight? Satire?).

It was only when the main characters are on the way to Scotland and run over the rabbit that I finally tuned into the wavelength the film was operating at. After that, I found it a lot of fun - it's a great film. :)

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Local Hero is a great movie, no question. Great score from Knopfler.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    It is the weirdest film in some ways, but very seductive.

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    1:00pm [Adventure] Jungle Book, The (1942)
    A boy raised by wolves adjusts to life among humans.
    Cast: Sabu, Joseph Calleia, John Qualen, Frank Puglia Dir: Zoltan Korda C-102 mins, TV-G

3:00pm [Horror/Science-Fiction] Blob, The (1958)
    A misunderstood teen fights to save his town from a gelatinous monster from outer space.
    Cast: Steven McQueen, Aneta Corseaut, Earl Rowe, Olin Howlin Dir: Irvin S. Yeaworth Jr. C-82 mins, TV-PG

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    2:30 AM Flesh And The Devil (1926)

In this silent film, a femme fatale comes between childhood friends. Cast: Greta Garbo, John Gilbert, Lars Hanson. Dir: Clarence Brown. BW-113 mins, TV-PG

4:30 AM Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1921)

In this silent film, a young Argentine fights for France, his father's country, in World War I. Cast: Rudolph Valentino, Alice Terry, Nigel De Brulier. Dir: Rex Ingram. BW-133 mins, TV-G

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    4:00 PM Jason And The Argonauts (1963)
    The legendary hero enlists the help of the gods to steal the golden fleece. Cast: Todd Armstrong, Nancy Kovack, Honor Blackman. Dir: Don Chaffey. C-104 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format
    6:00 PM Sinbad And The Eye Of The Tiger (1977)
    When a witch turns a young prince into a baboon, Sinbad fights to save him. Cast: Patrick Wayne, Taryn Power, Jane Seymour. Dir: Sam Wanamaker. C-113 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

8:00 PM Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The (1966)
    To win a reporting job, a young man must spend the night in a haunted house. Cast: Don Knotts, Joan Staley, Liam Redmond. Dir: Alan Rafkin. C-90 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

10:00 PM Apple Dumpling Gang, The (1975)
    Two bumbling outlaws try to help a trio of orphans protect their gold strike. Cast: Bill Bixby, Susan Clark, Don Knotts. Dir: Norman Tokar. C-100 mins, TV-G, CC, Letterbox Format

12:00 AM Incredible Mr. Limpet, The (1964)
    A World War II 4-F saves the U.S. Navy when he's transformed into a dolphin. Cast: Don Knotts, Andrew Duggan, Jack Weston. Dir: Arthur Lubin. C-99 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

2:00 AM No Time For Sergeants (1958)
    A hillbilly draftee turns the Air Force upside down. Cast: Andy Griffith, Nick Adams, Myron McCormick. Dir: Mervyn LeRoy. BW-119 mins, TV-G, Letterbox Format

4:15 AM Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo (1977)
    Thieves plant stolen diamonds under the hood of a magical Volkswagen. Cast: Dean Jones, Don Knotts, Julie Sommars. Dir: Vincent McEveety. C-105 mins, TV-G, CC

13. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    No Time for Sergeants isn't subtle, but it is hysterically funny.

14. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Sunday November 21:

2:00 AM Fires on the Plain (1959)
    Japanese soldiers abandoned by their command fight to survive the last days of World War II. Cast: Eiji Funakoshi, Osamu Takizawa, Mickey Curtis. Dir: Kon Ichikawa. BW-104 mins, TV-MA, Letterbox Format

15. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004
    Now beginning on TCM, the Marx Brothers...and DUCK SOUP.

And yeah, LOCAL HERO is a wonderful, quirky film. [face_mischief]

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Duck Soup is, I think, the best comedy ever put to film. My God, it just about kills me every time. That mirror scene alone . . . God, I can't breathe when I watch that scene.

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    9:30pm [Comedy] Prince And The Showgirl, The (1957)

"An American showgirl in London creates an international incident when she falls for a European prince."

Cast: Richard Wattis, David Thorne, Jeremy Spenser, Sybil Thorndike Dir: Laurence Olivier C-117 mins, TV-G

This is Laurence Olivier's sole non-Shakespearean directing job. He does a fair job, though this too is adapted from a play, and shows it. Monroe shows that the camera loves her; Olivier has technique to burn, but still can't compete.

18. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Actually, his first of two: his experiences with Monroe turned him off directing for 13 years, until he came back to do Three Sisters. Either way, kinda a lame substitute for the Macbeth film he wanted to do.

Olivier did the play with Vivien Leigh, and it was a rousing success - Monroe steals the film completely though. Not that it's much of a film to steal.

19. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    12:30am [Suspense/Mystery] House on 92nd Street, The (1945)
    An FBI agent infiltrates a Nazi spy ring.
    Cast: William Eythe, Lloyd Nolan, Signe Hasso, Gene Lockhart Dir: Henry Hathaway BW-88 mins

The docu-drama style was very popular just after WWII

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    6:15am [Drama] None but the Lonely Heart (1944)
    A young ne'er-do-well tries to get his life on track to help his ailing mother.
    Cast: Cary Grant, Ethel Barrymore, Miss Ethel Barrymore, Barry Fitzgerald Dir: Clifford Odets BW-113 mins, TV-PG [Close Captioned] [Email Remind Me]

You don't see Grant in a drama too often---he's rather good, too, as is Ethel Barrymore as his mother.

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    3:45am [Comedy] Pygmalion (1938)

"A linguistics professor bets he can turn a flower girl into a lady by teaching her to speak properly."

Cast: Leslie Howard, Wendy Hiller, Wilfrid Lawson, Marie Lohr Dir: Anthony Asquith BW-96 mins, TV-G

Late in the morning on March 9th. Set the VCR; it works as a non-musical comedy, too.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I think it's better than the musical. Leslie Howard is great and acerbic, something he rarely was.

23. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Tonight on TCM: Buster Keaton's Civil War comedy: "The General" (1927)

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    8:00 PM
    horror
    Wolf Man, The (1941)

9:15 PM
    horror
    Uninvited, The (1944)

11:00 PM
    horror
    Dead of Night (1945)

1:00 AM
    horror
    I Walked With A Zombie (1943)

2:15 AM
    suspense
    Cat People (1942)

3:30 AM
    short
    One Reel Wonder: Black Cats And Broomsticks (1955)

3:45 AM
    suspense
    Curse of the Cat People, The (1944)

5:00 AM
    horror
    Devil Bat, The (1940)

Some very iconic movies in this list.

25. JohnWesleyDowney

Jan 27, 2004

I Walked with a Zombie, now starting on TCM.