main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Turner Classic Movies: RARE FILM ALERT: "Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages" (1922) on TCM Tonight

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    When he started, Flynn was amazing. This was basically his first movie. And yes, he said, "Me hearties." So what. :p

If your library is in a system, Boogie, they should be able to reserve the movoe for you from another branch if it's there. So check online.

2. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    3:00 p.m. PT Sunday night

"Brute Force" starring Burt Lancaster (dir. Jules Dassin)

3. Zombi_2_1979

Zombi_2_1979 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2005
    Must see film noir for all, another great outing for Lancaster and Hume Cronyn. Not going to miss this one.

4. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    It's a prison break movie, isn't it?

5. Zombi_2_1979

Jul 13, 2005
    Yes it is. And Hume Cronyn is great as one of the inmates.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They are having a John Garfield film festival on Thursday, including "Force of Evil" and "The Postman Always Rings Twice" (the original) but unfortunately not "The Sea Wolf"...

7. Zombi_2_1979

Jul 13, 2005
    If anyone has an opportunity to see these two films, don't miss them!

8. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    They showed a clip with Joanne Woodward on "The Postman Always Rings Twice" on Saturday, I think, and Garfield's performance in it. She analyzed it at length.

9. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The second movie is starting about now...

10. Zombi_2_1979

Jul 13, 2005
    Have you seen it? If you haven't, you must let me know what you think of it! :p

11. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'd seen some of it when it was on TCM a couple of months ago(?) Just the last portion, which didn't make a lot of sense.

It seemed really long, given it was based on a very short book.

Starts well. I liked the introduction scenes a lot--the burning sign, and the scene where she can't light her cigarette--that's one of the sublest sex scenes ever. And the first murder attempt is scary & brilliant.

But it sort of bogs down in the middle. As the lawyers, Ames and Cromyn have a field day, but I don't quite buy it; Cora assumes Frank is conspiring with one of the lawyers against her all along, but why? There's no motive for it. And the stuff with the phony murder plea is very unlikely/pure moonshine.

Garfield is very, very good, though. Turner's not acting exactly; I don't know what you'd call it, but it was effective. The clothing metaphors are a little stretched.

It needed tightening, though. And I wish they have found a way to convey Frank's dilemma in the last scene without the huge explanation--with a priest yet, but even Hitchcock did that in "Psycho."

Though Turner is styled a little too high for her level in life, and Nick has been de-ethnicized, it's better than the remake, which often seems becalmed. The setting is very well used.

12. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Tonight they have a group of Katherine Hepburn movies on, including a lot of favorites: "Bringing Up Baby", "The Philadelphia Story", "Adam's Rib", "The African Queen", etc.

The film that's both good and hard to see is Hepburn's best dramatic performance: "A Long Day's Journey Into Night." (9:00 pm. PST) Also starring Ralph Richardson and Jason Robards, Jr., as her husband and elder son respectively, so you can see what type of cast it is.

13. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    On August 17th, 2006, TCM is showing two classic screwball comedies starring Carole Lombard: "My Man Godfrey" (1936) and "Nothing Sacred" (1937)

14. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Sunday, August 20th, 2006, they are showing several Lee Marvin movies:

At 3:00 p.m. the highly entertaining "The Professionals" with Burt Lancaster & Robert Ryan

At 5:00 p.m. "Seven Men From Now" dir. Budd Boetticher--good Western

At 6:30 p.m. one of my favorite bad movies "The Dirty Dozen"

At 10:30 p.m. John Boorman's "Point Blank"

15. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    The foreign movie in the 11:00 pm slot on Friday night (Sept. 1st) is Bernado Bertolucci's "The Conformist."

16. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This is tonight. Worth the trouble.

17. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Next: this Sunday night: Carl Theodor Dreyer's "The Passion of Joan of Arc." Very famous film.

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    This is at 9:00 tonight.

19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I love this thread :D

I myself also happen to be a big fan of TCM, and love to be able to watch rare movies in their original format/aspect ratio, without commercials. [face_love]

It's also a big pain when a movie is shown and you miss it, because unlike some other cable channels, they don't necessarily get shown more than once. I learned my lesson last month when I failed to TiVo the showings of "Green Mansions" and "The Yellow-Rolls Royce", two widescreen movies that have not yet been released on DVD.

At any rate, for what it's worth, I'd like to ask Zaz if it's OK to occasionally mention a rare movie that's being shown on cable, even if it's on a channel other than TCM. The reason I'm asking is because next Friday, the FOX movie channel will be showing the 1972 film "The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds", with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. According to Maltin's movie guide, the movie has never been released on video in any format whatsoever (VHS, Laserdisc, DVD). It's supposed to be a very good movie based on the Pultizer Prize-winning play.

P.S. I haven't seen "The Passion of Joan of Arc" yet, although I recently did rent Dreyer's 1955 film, "Ordet". I think he's a very good director. :D

20. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Sure.

Haven't seen "Ordet" but I have seen Dreyer's "Day of Wrath" becaue TCM showed it a couple of months ago. Fantastic.

21. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Tonight:

Two Ingmar Bergmans: "The 7th Seal" and "Wild Strawberries"

Two Frederico Fellinis: "The White Shiek" and "La Strada"

All recommended.

22. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Thursday, TCM is starting to show Dick Cavett's interviews with Hollywood types: Katherine Hepburn, Marlon Brando, Groucho Marx.

At 8:00 PT tonight: Mel Brooks.

23. Palpateen

Palpateen Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2000

At 8:00 PT tonight: Mel Brooks.

I'll be in front of my tv with a box of Raisinets. :cool:

24. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    Me, too. :D

25. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    I'm sorry, Palpateen, it's tomorrow night:

The interview at 5:00 PT; then "The Producers" at 6:00 p.m.

A repeat of the interview at 8:00 PT, and then "Spaceballs"