main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Turning normal still images into Force Ghosts

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Darth_Nub, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Just a very quick question - what would be the simplest, easiest way of turning the images of 3 people into Force Ghosts & superimposing them onto a background?

I'm no expert in Photoshop, but I have it at work, basically all I want to do is take appropriate stills of 3 former football players & recreate the image of the three Jedi at the end of ROTJ. Most likely it would be 3 separate stills.

>>Link to tutorial posted by Kahn_Iceay below: Hologram & Force Ghost Tutorial

2. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Kahn_Iceay is fiddling around with turning images into holograms in the icons thread; he may be able to teach you something similar with Force ghosts.

3. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I would love to see a tutorial posted here if he comes up with one. :)

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Once he's got it down, I'll nudge him over here :)

5. Kahn_Iceay

Kahn_Iceay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2006
    Give me a couple of days >.> Force Ghosts should be pretty similar, just without the lines overlay and probably less blur.... *ponders* TIME FOR A TEST!

Edit!

So I pulled out my Hologram test XCF file and it was quite simple, really, Only takes half the layers as my current hologram method. Only needs three layers + background. So I'll include a Force Ghost tutorial with the Hologram tutorial since one would only need to skip one step and then avoid doing the last two. End result looks quite similar to a Force Ghost if you ask me.

[image=http://vincentmikaru.twilightmainframe.net/Stored%20Images/Marine_Force_Ghost.png]

6. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    So is that something that can be done in Photoshop?

7. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Indeed, so far as I know the primary differences between how I make this in GIMP and how it would be made in Photoshop is that what is Colourize (or Colorize if you aren't an Anglophile like me) is Hue Saturation in Photoshop (at least I think it is) and what is Softglow in GIMP is Neon glow in Photoshop. I believe everything else is named the same, just potentially in different locations do to layouts.

8. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Here ya go

Not 100% but complete. I'll edit it a bit with better instructions over the next few days. I hope its found useful.

9. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Outstanding tutorial Kahn! That should be very easy to follow for Photoshop users as well!

10. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Thanks! I hope people find it useful.

11. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    You can definitely see the difference between that and an actual Force Ghost, since this is more of a hologram, but it's still really good and very close to the real thing. Well done on the tutorial.

12. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Later on I may go in and work up a more dedicated method of doing force ghosts, adjusting levels of colours and opacity and other variables and tricks, and make a dedicated tutorial for it. As it is though, yeah its pretty much the Hologram without the motion blur, scan, and hologram lines.

13. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    There are several similar tutorials over at Fan Films as well. Let's just say we...spend a lot of time on that stuff. :-B Nicely done on your tutorial!

14. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    Congrats on your tutorial being in this week's MSU/ATB! :D

15. Kahn_Iceay

Mar 5, 2006
    Yeah that was a case of "Holy unexpected mentioning batman". But thanks!

16. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Awesome tutorial, Khan!:D Here's what I did with it( just playing around with it.)

[image=http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c198/ludokressh/Ayejusneedtogetpaid.png]

This will definitely come in handy and hopefully allow me to do more dynamic icons.

17. Craigman202

Craigman202 Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2014
    The link appears to no longer be in service. Is there a new one any where?