Lit Tusken Raider/Krayt Dragon confusion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    Why is it that Tusken Raiders are scared of Krayt dragon calls when every single one of them had to kill one just to become an adult?
  2. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 6
    For the same reason that the Predator hunts the Xenomorph to graduate to hunting Arnold Schwarzenegger.
  3. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4

I don't think you understood what i'm saying. Why do Tusken Raiders flee when they hear a Krayt Dragon call. They shouldn't be scared of them since any tusken that is an adult had to kill one as a ritual to become a an adult.
  4. CT-867-5309 Chosen One

star 5
    I think it has to do with no one caring.
  5. LelalMekha Force Ghost

star 4
    The fact that you succeeded in killing a ferocious monster once in your life because it was compulsory--"just do it or be expelled of the community"--doesn't mean you'd be eager to do it again when there's no need.
    Last edited by LelalMekha, Feb 10, 2014
    AusStig, Contessa and Mia Mesharad like this.
  6. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    even in a new hope when there are 3 or 4 of them and they hear it they get scared. if one of them could kill it why would they be scared if there are 3-4 Tusken Raiders. But i guess what i think is that there are different types of Krayt Dragons, some that are more powerful then others.
  7. Dawud786 Force Ghost

star 4
    Depends. You catch a sleeping Krayt and kill it, that's one thing. A Krayt is awake and pissed off.... well, you better watch out. That Krayt rampage in Kenobi was pretty intense.
    Iron_lord and Contessa like this.
  8. LelalMekha Force Ghost

star 4
    There are indeed different subspecies. The common krayt dragon, or canyon krayt dragon, is 30 meters large. The greater krayt dragon is 100 meters large... or more. Moreover, Obi-Wan did not just imitate any krayt cry. The radio drama of Episode IV had him say:
    He said hunting cry. This is not just a moan or a call, this is the cry of a dragon ready to kick some.
  9. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4

Yeah i just finished that book today. Really good. Anyone know what kind of Krayt Dragon was in Knights of the old republic?
  10. LelalMekha Force Ghost

star 4
    Common canyon krayt dragon. See the scale difference with a picture of the wo subspecies fighting. [IMG]
    Last edited by LelalMekha, Feb 10, 2014
    Valin__Kenobi and Contessa like this.
  11. Contessa Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    They wanted to hunt something even uglier and more annoying?

Gee, why doesn't anybody want to live on Tatooine? I wonder...
    DigitalMessiah and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. fuzzbox77 Force Ghost

star 1
    Considering it's an EU concept of killing a Krayt written years after the 1976 shooting script - I think that explains it all.
  13. LelalMekha Force Ghost

star 4
    Last edited by LelalMekha, Feb 11, 2014
  14. TrakNar Force Ghost

star 5
    What I love most about that picture are the two Sand People down there. "CEEEEE-RIPES man, let's get outta here!"
    Contessa, Mia Mesharad and LelalMekha like this.
  15. MercenaryAce Force Ghost

star 5
    Because 9 out of ten Tuskans just bring home the bones of an already dead one and talk about how awesome they are. The tenth one gets eaten.
  16. Iron_lord Chosen One

star 7
    I think the Kenobi novel's canyon krayt was supposed to be an outsized specimen - on the order of 60m long. Maybe it had lived much longer than most- since they continue growing all their lives?
  17. jacktherack Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok so Revan can't even take down a lesser krayt dragon without using a bomb yet simple Tusken Raider can?
  18. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 6

Not Arnie! :(
  19. LelalMekha Force Ghost

star 4
    Once again, the question is: why would he want to fight it directly when there's another, safer way around? This is called craftiness. Depending on who you ask, craftiness is either the attribute of a good warrior (the Greek) or a disgrace (the Romans), but at any rate it exists and makes sense.
    Last edited by LelalMekha, Feb 23, 2014
    Mia Mesharad likes this.
  20. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    That picture makes me think of the Saxons and the Britons.
  21. BenKenobi1138 Jedi Padawan

There was a tribe in Africa that required their men to go hunt down a lion in order to become a man. I think that might be where the EU got the idea. Even though each man in the tribe had theoretically killed a lion, if a group of men were out hunting, then discovered they were being hunted by a lion, i bet they would attempt to escape until it became obvious they had to fight.
  22. LelalMekha Force Ghost

star 4
    This. It's a question of common sense. A rite of initiation is a one-time event the rules of which don't apply to normal life.
    Mia Mesharad likes this.
  23. Reveen Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I find it hard to believe that all the Tusken tribes have a Krayt hunting ritual. Maybe the few really hardcore groups. But if every single Sand Dude on the planet had to kill a dragon before they could vote and buy cigarettes I don't think there'd be many Krayts left.

Or Tuskens left, whichever works.
    Last edited by Reveen, Feb 23, 2014
  24. DigitalMessiah Chosen One

star 6
    There'd be smart Tuskens left, ones smart enough to find a skeleton in the sand like Threepio and Artoo.
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost

star 4
    I never interpreted it as the Tuskens thinking a literal Krayt dragon was coming. I mean, Kenobi is walking towards them in plain view.

I think they were frightened of the spooky wizard who lives in the area and makes scary Krayt dragon noises.
    Last edited by The_Phantom_Calamari, Feb 27, 2014
    Mia Mesharad likes this.