main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by DarthWormie, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthWormie

DarthWormie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2004
    Title says it all guys. Is there a particular show out there in TV land that you find yourself obsessed with? If so, post your thought and lets get some discussion going!!!

I'll kick it off. Anyone else watching 'Heroes'? I had originally passed on it but caught the rebroadcast of the pilot one Friday night on SciFi and got hooked. I usually miss the Monday night premiere on NBC, so I end up watching the rebroadcast Friday nights at 7:00 on SciFi.

Not much else out there as far as NEW programs though. Thursday nights my remote gets a heck of a workout though flipping back between Earl/Office and Smallville.

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I've been hooked on Heroes ever since I saw the previews over the summer. It's got this sort of "X-Men" kind of feel to the story where people are discovering that they have these unexplainable powers. The way the plot runs from week to week like a comic book makes it tough to keep up if you miss an episode, like I did last week. Things are kinda spread out so you don't miss that much and it's not that hard to catch up, unlike a show like '24' that really hinges on you being there every week.

Seems like the only other new shows out there are the 'SNL' knockoffs and a few more medical/CSI themed shows, just more of what's already out there IMO. I've jumped on the 'Deal or No Deal' bandwagon too! I know it's not a new show but I saw it one night and decided to give it a try. Then of course there's Smallville, can't forget that.

3. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    I completely forgot about the SNL knock-offs, thanks for reminding me. I have been watching '30 Rock' and it's been okay. Nothing more, nothing less. Alec Baldwin is definitely the best part of that cast with Tracey Morgan running a close second. I wouldn't call it 'Must see' but if I have the kids to bed and I stumble across it on TV, I do watch it.

4. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Hey guys...

I have gotten sucked in by Justice. I was a pre-law major in college and love legal research and stuff (technical term, eh - [face_blush])! I just love the way the program is run and how they show the "what really happened" at the end of each episode!

It's not a new show but, since I never watched it - it sort of is to me, I am really liking CSI - Miami as well. The show a couple weeks ago with the kid in the car was very interesting - and shocking, IMO.

Have only caught bits and piece of Deal or No Deal but, when I do I find myself yelling numbers at the tv!

That's about it from me. I don't really watch that much tv.

5. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I watch CSI:Miami with my wife and although I can't stand the show I can't help but watch it. The acting in the show is awful and the fact that they know what every piece of evidence is and where it came from before even testing it drives me nuts. At least in the original CSI they test stuff before revealing what it is, even if it's done in "Hollywood" time. Another one that I didn't mention before is an Army-based special-ops show called 'the Unit'. It comes on after NCIS (another military related show).

6. BIEREN

BIEREN Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 12, 2005
    I used to watch LOST, but it's getting too repediative, which bores me like a math class. I have to admit i do watch "Survivor."

7. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Wow. That is pretty close to my wife and I. She's into CSI Miami as well and I end up watching with her because by that time, I'm pretty tired and I'll stare at almost anything for an hour.[face_laugh] I too agree that the acting is brutal on that show. Carusso is beyond bad. During a typical episode I think I do about 10 Carusso impersonations, much to the chagrin of Mrs Wormie (she thinks he's dreamy!). I mean how many times can he remove his sunglasses, roll his head to the side, squint and deliver his line with a low, raspy voice? The guy is a freaking automatron!

Good episode of Heroes last night. I had set the DVR up to record it because I had some stuff to do around the house and ended up watching the entire episode anyway. The only character I don't like on the show is the blonde woman who has the split personalities.

8. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    It's not that I don't like her but I just don't understand the character. Having a character with a "split personality superpower" may have worked for Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde but the plot ideas kinda end with him. Nothing against people with mental illness but being bipolar isn't a superpower.

Speaking of Heros... Obscure Reference: The guy who plays Mikah's father was one of General Zod's henchmen in the Smallville season premiere 'Arrival'. I knew he looked familiar but it took me 2 episodes to figure it out without cheating and looking online.

9. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Good call. I completely missed that.

Well, about 2 weeks ago Mrs Wormie and I finally took the plunge and upgraded to digital cable. We had Comcast basic since we moved to Hopkinton and they their rates had gotten completely out of control over the past couple of years. In the 5+ years we've had Comcast, our bill jumped $10! We were paying about $46 for 60 or so 'basic' channels. :rolleyes:

So about a month ago Verison came to town and for $1 less a month we now have digital cable with a couple hundred channels and 20 or so digital music channels. It's been so great and the best part is, I don't have to miss a particular program anymore thanks to the DVR! The downside of course is I find it impossible to turn the TV off earlier than 1:00am every night.

10. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    For those of you following 'Heroes', tonight is the last new episode until after the new year. According to the comercials, a 'hero' will fall and there is a 'shocker' at the end of the episode.

11. Qui-Gon_Tom

Qui-Gon_Tom Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 9, 2006
    Heroes is cool. Great show...

12. JediFonger

JediFonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 1999
    awesome thread!

first of all, if you're a SF nut, you just can't miss Battlestar Galactica. it's the best series period (better than 24, better than lost, better than everything currently on TV) since The X-Files was on. personally, my fav series of all time is The X-Files. nothing comes close. after that is Battlestar Galactica! =). it is on SF channel fridays@8PM or somn like that but in January it's moving to Sundays@9 or 10 or somn. best show bar none right now.

with what little time i have, i record a bunch of stuff i haven't had time to watch, but out of the NEW shows this fall, i really dig Friday Night Lights. incredibly realistic drama about HS (NOT FOOTBALL).

other than that... haven't had time to watch any of the others but i heard Dexter was pretty nifty along with Studio60 and so on.

Smallville has been pretty sucky this year. Lost was... meh. i can't wait for 24 to come back next month!!! =^).

13. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Agreed, Battlestar is far and away one of the best shows on TV right now. I missed last weeks episode but other than that, I've seen every one begining with the 2 part mini-series which is what hooked me.

Smallville has been a little disappointing this year, though I do like the introduction of the Green Arrow. Also liked the intro of Martian Manhunter a couple of weeks ago. I'm also looking forward to the episode in January when they form the Justice League. Only wish Batman and/or Wonder Woman would be involved.

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    So the mystery 'super' that took out the bone-munching freak was Martian Manhunter? That's awesome!!! I have been wondering who that was supposed to be.

15. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Yup, The glowing eyes and Oreos were the give-away.

16. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    OK... I have to ask. I understand the red eyes, but what do the Oreos have to do with MM?

BTW: I like the new title Mike :cool:.

17. WifeofVader

WifeofVader Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2005
    Anyone else catch the season premier of 24 the last couple of nights? I thought they were fantastic and can't wait for next week!

I am getting sucked into watching American Idol tonight with my room mate.... it's my fault really, I got him stuck on it last year when I watched it from beginning to end (routing for Chris all the way)!

18. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Believe it or not, I'm not a fan of '24' at all. I just don't get the hype.

Mike, the Oreo's are a nod to Martian Manhunter because he has a sweet tooth for them that was established in the comic books.

As for Smallville, don't miss this Thursday's episode (1/18). The Justice League v1.0 will be making it's first appearance. The founding members? Impulse (future Flash), Cyborg, Green Arrow, Aquaman and Clark, who goes by the 'code name' Boy Scout.

19. DarthIC2

DarthIC2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 23, 2006
    Sopranos. Starting on season one and now am into season 5 on DVD. Gotta love Netflix. The show is GREAT.

Now if they would just make ChiPs on DVD I would be real happy.

20. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    [face_laugh] Too funny. TBS used to show 'CHiPs' during the daytime hours, but I think all they show now is 'Saved by the Bell' and 'Home Improvement' I-)

We just got Verizon Digital Cable a couple of months ago and just recently I've discovered 'Dukes of Hazzard' repeats. :D Man I loved watching that show as a kid. Last nights episode was the story of how the 'General Lee' came to be.:D

21. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Anyone see the new episode of "Heroes" last night? I had a total brain freeze and forgot it was on. I even forgot to DVR it.:oops:

22. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Caught the 'Fresh' episode of Smallville last night. Really good one. Good to see Martian Manhunter show up as well. A little disappointed by his height though. Couldn't they have found someone a little taller?

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I'll try and give you the short summary of last weeks episode:

Claire brought her friend (can't remember his name) to show him her power (again). She was talking to the Hatian man about who her real parents are (that's part of the plot for tonight).
    Hiro goes to a museum and finds the sword Issac painted him holding in front of a dinosaur but since it was part of a display he had to steal it. With his powers still lacking the best he could do was slow time down (funny to watch), which still enabled him to take the sword. Once outside of the museum he pulled the sword from it's sheath to find out that it is only a replica handle, no blade.
    Peter is in a coma at the start of the show (he's been under for about 3 weeks). He wakes up after having a vision of the explosion again but this time there is someone else there (another tie-in to tonight), then he leaves the hospital. While walking around he sees a man picking peoples wallets and pocketbooks right in front of them but they say or do nothing (he's invisible). Peter confronts the man and alarmed at the fact that Peter can see him he attacks Peter, at which point Peter goes invisible too (thanks to his Rouge-like powers).
    Jessica/Nikki are in prison waiting for their trial. She has an 'episode' in front of her lawyer and he gets her commited to the phsyc ward at the prison (stained padded walls and all).
    The cop who hears peoples thoughts and the FBI agent track down where Syler is and raid the building but find nothing there but a paper mill, and Claire's dad of course.
    The only other thing I can think of is a quick shot of the 'human torch knockoff guy' in a cabin in NV trying to learn how to better control his powers, he seems to be getting the hang of it.

24. DarthWormie

Jul 22, 2004
    Thanks Mike.

25. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Good episode of Heros last night! Lots of surprises and a couple of new characters, including two more superpowered characters. Next week ought to be a really good show, as expected!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.