TV Purchase advice

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SithLordDarthRichie, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    I am considering buying a new TV and want to upgrade to a flat widescreen kind. I have noticed Argos have a Half Price sale on and offer a range of reduced TVs from various brands. The cheapest 32in version are the Alba brand TVs, however I am not sure how reliable Alba are as a brand. TVs of the same size and dimensions from other brands such as Sony & Panasonic are much more expensive, so I am thinking reliability and picture quality are a reason they cost more. Although I am aware brands like Sony can cost more due to the name alone.

Argos offers:

Alba 32in HD Ready LCD TV 1366x768 £289.99

Bush 32in HD Ready LCD TV 1366x768 £349.99 (1920x1080 model for £379.99)

Hitachi 32in HD Ready LCD TV 1366x768 £371.89

Samsung 32in HD Ready LCD TV 1366x768 £399.99

Toshiba 32in HD Ready LCD TV 1366x768 £449.99

Panasonic HD Ready LCD TV 1366x768 £489.99

Sony 32in HD Ready LCD TV 1366x768 £549.99

As you see the high end models like Sony can be £200+ more expensive then mid-range models like Alba or Bush.
    So I ask your opinons - is it worth the extra cash for a bigger name, or will a lesser brand TV provide the same service and reliablilty for a lot less?
  2. AlphaWolf Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Ello. I have both a Samsung 32" LCD and a Sony 40" LCD and am pretty pleased with them both. With that said, I don't really think Sony is worth the extra cost. I'd go with the Samsung if I were you. You'll be more than pleased with it. It deffo represents the best value of the bunch you posted IMO. :)
  3. Lord-Tice Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    If you're on a budget, then go for the Samsung. If you can afford a bit more, then go for either the Panasonic or Sony. Try looking for any Philips or LG TVs too.
    There are a few key features you need for a decent LCD TV though. A high contrast ratio (anything above 7,500:1 is good). Also it really needs to be at least 100 Hz. And finally, if you want it to play Blu-Ray films on then getting one with a 24 fps feature is very handy because it'll make a difference.

With any 32" LCD TV there is no need to get one that can produce 1080p resolution because the human eye can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 at that size. So the resolutions you've selected are spot on.

I'd recommend going to John Lewis or Marks & Spencer as all there TVs come with a 5 year guarantee.
  4. Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager

star 6
    Panasonic has served me well.
  5. SithLordDarthRichie London CR

Chapter Rep
    star 8
    Thanks for the advice on contrast, that is useful since brands like Alba & Bush have a ratio of below 7500:1
  6. Moylesy Jedi Master

star 4
    Always had Sony as our "main" TV but my daughter has recently bought a Bush and my son has an Acoustic Solutions from Argos - both handle HD TV fine (Xbox, PS3, etc). A useful guide is the customer reviews at the Argos website, over a hundred reviews and an average high score usually means a good product (although make sure you read all of the reviews as some of the low scoring ones are made by idiots who don't read the instructions, etc.)

Tip: If you need to connect more HD devices than you have HDMI inputs don't buy an expensive HD switch box, you can pick them up for a few quid at some supermarkets <cough>Asda<cough>. Saying that, I have just bought a Sony STR-DH800 with 4 HDMI inputs.....sorted!
  7. Disciple-of-Tython Force Ghost

star 4
    Beware, I bought a Sony KDL-32W4000 and had to replace it twice. First because of dead pixels then when I got that replaced I had ridiculously bad clouding. My third replacement has a little clouding in the top right corner but I can live with it.
  8. Moylesy Jedi Master

star 4
    No problem with my KDL-40V4000, picture perfect in fact.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.