main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

tv vs movies...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by djr33, Apr 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    over the last week i have been watching a lot of tv as i have had the week off from school.

anyway, i have begun to see a very apparent difference in the movies and the tv shows. i change to a channel and i immediately know whether its a movie or a tv show... i know this sounds kinda weird, but go with me for a sec ;)
    its kinda a feeling, something about the movies that makes them different.

my thoughts are: action, FX, and especially music... but tv shows also have this...

my question is what makes movies different... ?[face_plain]

i think this could be a good learning experience for those, like me, who are interested in film. movies (at least in my mind are better) would be what many people are aiming to make here (i expect), and it would be nice to study what makes them special as opposed to tv shows....

2. JediMattster1

JediMattster1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2004
    OK, I think a couple differences between tv and movies are that movies are a somewhat longer then tv shows, they have more plot twists, sometimes more action, and movies never have commercial breaks :D . Anyways, I'll post more if I can think of anything.

3. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    The dialogue in TV is usually more forced and cliched than in movies where the writer workes for years to fine tune the script, then multiple other writers go over it to make the dialogue silky smooth.

I think that's the biggest difference.

4. Jedi_Kyeju

Jedi_Kyeju Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2003
    TV sucks. It's all reality TV now and its getting worse. Film on the other hand has always and always will be a great artistic medium.

5. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    ....None of you guys have seen 'Manos, Hands of Fate', have you?

"I AM MANOS, AND YOU WILL OBEY ME, FOR I AM -MANOS-!"

6. Raymond_L

Raymond_L Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2004
    frame rate. TV goes at 25, and Film goes at 24. well thats what the thing here in AUSTRALIA

7. starbuccaneer

starbuccaneer Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2004
    In the US, it's 30 frames per second for TV... so the action is smoother, I guess.

Films are shot on film, which takes color differently than video. Some TV shows are shot on film, but the majority aren't.

8. Rick_Zarber

Rick_Zarber Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2004
    Actually, almost every TV drama or action show is shot on film. And most sitcoms as well.

Reality TV, of course, almost never is. That's why there are so many reality shows. It's so darn cheap.

9. trixter

trixter Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2001
    ....None of you guys have seen 'Manos, Hands of Fate', have you?

"I AM MANOS, AND YOU WILL OBEY ME, FOR I AM -MANOS-!"

Ok I dont think anything can be as bad as Manos the Hands of Fate, I mean whats with the couple making out in the car through the whole movie have to do with anythign anyway?

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Ok I dont think anything can be as bad as Manos the Hands of Fate, I mean whats with the couple making out in the car through the whole movie have to do with anythign anyway?

Manos IS pretty bad, but it's funny in its own way. Check out a film called Deadly Eyes in which Dauschunds are dressed up like giant rats. Now THAT's cinema! Or Night of the Lepus with DeForest 'Doctor McKoy' Kelly: Never before or since has an actor shouted 'There are giant man eating rabbits coming this way! Run!'

As for TV, well, I think budgetary considerations come into play. Even expensive shows like Star Trek pale compared to a big budget movie, though Enterprise seems to be narrowing that gap a bit- very high production values on that show.

And yes, scripts do tend to be somewhat... watered down or banal at times on TV, though many cable shows have escaped that, (Sopranos, The Shield, etc.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.