main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ TVs and DVD players

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Feb 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Well, I've been working long hours and saving for a good six months now, and I'm finally ready to buy myself a TV and DVD player for enjoying my beloved Star Wars movies.

Currently, I've just got an old 20-inch precision 20 , which is over twenty years old. It isn't even compatible with a DVD player. Definitely time for a new one.

Anyone got any advice or suggestions?

2. Enapie

Enapie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2002
    I have a Phillips TV and DVD and would recommend the brand. I've had no problems with zoning like some of my friends have with other branded DVD's, they also play VCD's and copied music CD's which is all good. Another big plus is that they are reasonably priced.

Hope this is some help :)

3. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
  4. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    Yeah I'm with Enapie, Phillips are a great brand, as for dvd players Mustek make one that'll play all dvd's, cd's and most Mpeg or Divx cd's damn handy if you know someone who downloads and burns movies onto disc, also great price about $499.

Have ya seen the EP1 dvd? the deleted scenes rock! especially the podrace scene!
    And Kitt R U keen on gaming anytime soon?

5. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    my dvd player is invisable but it only plays static

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ahh well Ace, the static is a good enough trade-off when you buy anything that's invisible.

7. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    I used ta have an invisible puppy, but he ran away! at least I think he did

8. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    I like Enapie's DVD player. without it, I would have no knowledge of The Ep1 DVD...

The deleted scenes are great, esp. like the one where Anakin beats up greedo.

9. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    You could still use a DVD player with your old TV with a simple modulator.

10. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    There's no adapter for converting a TV that old. It doesn't have any audio or video output jacks.

Besides, I want to preserve it, so I can one day sell it to an antique museum. :)

Philips, yeah, that is a good brand.
    And my fav part of the DVD is probably the blooper reel. LOL.

re gaming .. I might be up for it tomorrow, or on Friday. Depends on how my TV hunting goes . . .

11. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Phillips give you free DVDs when you buy their players. I'm not sure if the promotion's still on.

Dad bought a Pioneer one about a year ago. It says it's a "zone 3" at the back but it can play zone 1 DVDs. :) I think my dad might had it 'fixed' before. [face_laugh] It's actually illegal. Well not really; but you lose the warranty if you do that.

12. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

DEFINITELY get a multi-zone player. These single zone ones are useless, whoever dreamed up this zone protection nonsense needs to be shot.

I still think the Samsung VCR / DVD combo is a good idea if you want to be able to play both tapes and discs - AND evidently you can tape one channel while watching a DVD. :)

It costs the same as buying a separate VCR and DVD players though. :(

Another option is to get a PlayStation2 (or the upcoming games boxes) and then you can play games and watch DVDs - especially the Star Wars games of course. :)

You should be able to get some sort of adaptor (Dick Smith?) to plug a DVD player into a normal arial socket - but you won't get as good a quality.

13. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    Well, it takes a TV aeriel doesn't it? You know, just the normal aeriel plug. If it does, you can have an AV signal converted to a TV aerial signal, and use that combined with a switch box to switch between TV and DVD. Could do that for about $50. Unless it's so old that you can't actualy unplug your aerial.

14. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    Get a ps2 get the multizone remote control for it

15. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    I'm going to go pick up a philips DVD player tomorrow.
    Still trying to decide between a 21inch flatscreen, or a 25inch normal TV, but I think I'll go for the flatscreen. A large screen would be nice, but when you're at the stage of moving a lot, not very practical.

Playstation 2s are about a grand as far as I know, where as you can get a nice DVD player for $600 dollars these days.

16. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Nope.

PlayStations2 WAS about $1,000 when first released. They're only $600 now (plus the $110 for the Multizone DVD remote) - and it might come down a bit more with the release of the Nintendo GameCube coming soon. :)

But I probably wouldn't buy one as a DVD player (like some idiots did on it's release) - it's designed for games playing with DVD playing tacked on as an extra, so the quality could be questionable.

Another option is a DVD-ROM drive (or even a DVD-writer) for your computer. Together with a video-out card for your PC you'd get DVD on your TV and the ability to use DVD-ROM content like on the Episode I DVD.

But again, since they're designed for computer content, the quality of DVD movie playback could be questionable - especially on slower computers.

17. Enapie

Jan 23, 2002
    I would personally go for the flat screen, I like the fact that you don't get as much glare as with a normal screen. I also think they look nicer but thats just me :)

PS2's are down to $599 down here so I would think they would be about the same around the country. Have heard that they aren't as good of picture quality as a straight out DVD though.

18. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    There's a built-in VCR in my TV and I tried to record the DVD onto the tape. And it didn'r work.

Whoever dreamed up this DVD protection nonsense needs to be shot. :mad:

19. Enapie

Jan 23, 2002
    Hey Kitt327 did you get a DVD player yet? If so, which brand did you end up going for?

20. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    A philips one :D And a panasonic flat-screen TV. It's awesome, I've already watched my TPM DVD to death.
    I got three free DVDs in the box. Batman (89), Beetlejuice and Gone in 60 seconds. I watched Batman. It's been years since I saw that, and I had forgotten how truly psycho it is :D The other two I think I'm going to trade at Real Groovy, because they don't interest me at all.

21. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    might be a bit late but I found this link to mustek players, anyone else purchasing a dvd soon should have a look. Now only $399 also plays mp3, vcd, and audio cd

http://www.globaljunxion.co.nz/

22. Enapie

Jan 23, 2002
    Pleased to see that you did get a DVD and a TV. What do you think of the flat screen? What did you think of the bonus features on TPM?

23. Darth_Graal

Nov 19, 2001
    Personally I love the deletd pod racer sequence and the waterfall bit was quite cool too

24. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    *sigh* My brand-new TPM DVD...bought it when Whitcoulls had the "all DVD 25% off" sale, and won $100 when I entered the competition. :D I don't have a DVD player now to watch it. Damn dad took it to Taiwan! :mad: And he wouldn't let me bring it back.

How much it is to rent a DVD player?

25. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Try to get a TV and DVD player of the same brand, helps to be compatible :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.