Amph Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer (Now discussing: Midnight Sun partially leaked)

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by mara_jade_rox, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone read TWILIGHT by Stephenie Meyer?

It's a very good book, if you haven't.

MJR
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yes!! It's not my usual style (hardcore high fantasy) but I LOVED it. The sequels weren't as good but kept my attention. But I bought this after a couple reads; it's impossible to put down.

Also looking forward to the movie :)
  3. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Yes, I have read Twilight! And New Moon and Eclipse, but Twilight I think is the best one of the three. They're very hard books to put down -- they're so addictive! 8-} But the concept is cool; I love Meyer's vampires. [face_love] And the werewolves! (Will I get murdered if I say that I like Jacob better than Edward? [face_worried] ).
  4. Raven Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Twilight was a lot of fun. Not the greatest, but nicely entertaining teen fiction. The first few chapters were the strongest, the climax the weakest. The sequels... not so good.
  5. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    I would've been over these books already if Bella had finally become a vampire. However, Meyer is a wicked clever lady and has been very good in delaying that as much as possible. I really have to agree with Raven's review. Lots of fun, blah blah blah... sequels fun, but sucky. :p Oh, and addictive. Key word. Gotta know what happens, need to see Bella become a vampire. That's about it.
  6. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    If Bella would hurry up and become a vampire, I would be very happy because HOPEFULLY she would become less whiny. :p That's my main problem with the sequels -- the whiny teenager-ness/teenaged angst becomes even more prominent and starts to give me a headache. :p

But they're fun books. Lots of fun, great reads. I'm just hoping that Bella will tone down the whining in the next one. :p Just a bit. [face_praying]
  7. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
    Are you kidding? First, Bella will have to become a vampire. Once she does, she'll go through the whole three days of pain period. After that, she'll miss her family. And Jacob.

Oh, boy, it's just going to get worse, Idrelle. :p
  8. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    You're all assuming a lot, i.e., that Bella will actually become a vampire. I don't think she'll do it.
  9. Beskargirl Jedi Knight

star 2
    I've read all three of the books, and I'm waiting for the fourth to come out right now. I enjoyed reading them very much, and I agree with everyone that they are very hard to put down. I thought the first one was the best though.

Just somthing I've been thinking about though. I wonder if the books will end like Romeo, and Juliet?
  10. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I don't think Meyer would do that to her characters. ;)

Oh, well... I can always hope. ;)
  11. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yes :p

I agree that the sequels weren't nearly as good. Too much angst/drama/whiny (and I HATE whiny). I think she's got a new book in the series planned for August (though I don't know if it'll be about Bella or someone else in the series). I'm looking forward to it.

I think she will become a vampire. She was pretty decided by the end of the third: have sex, let Charlie walk her down the aisle, and then go to Alaska with Edward and change.
  12. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I guess I better start running then. :p Jacob's a more compelling character; Edward's too much of a handsome knight in shining armour in New Moon and Eclipse for my taste. He was great in Twilight, but afterwards... not so much.

That would be The Host. Sci-fi romance, apparently, with completely new and different characters from Twilight.

Yeah, she was pretty definite on that, wasn't she? [face_laugh]

[face_plain]
  13. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Meh, maybe I was confusing that with something else. At any rate, she talked about doing some from the Twilight world (I really want to read Twilight from Edward's POV0.
  14. Beskargirl Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yes. That will be very......interesting. To say the least.
  15. Arissa Force Ghost

star 4
    I guess you were thinking of Midnight Sun
    There is another link to Chapter 1 at the bottom of the page, if the one I posted doesn´t work for you.
    If she can keep up the quality of Chapter 1 through the whole book, I dare say I´m going to love that book even more than Twilight.[face_love]

Breaking Dawn is the continuation of Bella´s story an will be released in August.
  16. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    I can't wait for Breaking Dawn...

Or Midnight Sun...

But I don't think that Bella will be a vampire...

:( It would be cool, but, yeah, it's not likely

MJR:D
  17. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yes, those are what I was thinking of, thanks :)
  18. MidnightRain Jedi Master

star 4
    I bought it a couple months ago after a friend recommended it. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet, though. I'll probably knock out the entire series sometime over the summer.
  19. mara_jade_rox Jedi Master

star 2
    Ha. My friend forced me to read them too. And after the first half, I couldn't put it down. I should thank her for that...

MJR[face_thinking]
  20. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    Same thing happened to me, mjr. Well, mostly it was because I was at music camp and only brought one book with me, and I finished it in two nights and I needed something to read. So, I borrowed Twilight and then wandered around the camp with my nose stuck in it. My thoughts kept wandering during rehearsal because I was so addicted to it. :p
  21. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I got it from a friend who I was constantly trading books with. Awesome way to do it; pass it on, too :D
  22. KaraJadeKim Jedi Knight

star 3
    I am on Eclipse about halfway thru its gets better Twilight and Eclipse by far are my favorites New moon drove me nuts but i like Jacob though. And the teenage angst is annoying in the later books.
  23. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Crazy theory time. I don't know if I should HTR because it's just my theory about Bella's special talent as a vampire.

Bella's special talent as a vampire is to turn vampires back into humans. When Edward "turns" her he will be changed into a normal human, thus keeping to two apart.
  24. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I walked into Borders to get The Host, and there were a couple girls working the register who were really into Twilight, so we had a veyr fangirl moment :p It was fun :)

I don't think that's likely.
  25. -polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 4
    Maybe not but there has to be some sort of twist to keep Edward and Bella apart. That's the only real redeeming value to the melodrama of the stories is that there is a chasm separating the two protagonists. Of course that twist may well simply be that one of them dies.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.