main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Twinkling stars" effect in music

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Cellist, Jul 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    When the SW main title starts out there is a twinkling stars effect in the music that is so weird; how is that sound made? Also I am re-creating the Main Title with Cakewalk and I am curious as to how I can achieve that sound.

2. slavegirl

slavegirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    I think it's made by a triangle, or at least that's what it sounds like to me. :)

3. darth_sidious1

darth_sidious1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2002
    I think the sound you're thinking of is a glockenspiel. It's a small xylophone where the bars are made of metal. It makes a tinkling sound when you hit it, so it's probably what you're looking for. By the way, if you knew what a glockenspiel was, I apologize for stating the obvious...

4. JonathonVandergriff

JonathonVandergriff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 29, 2000
    Fact: it's a celeste.

Glockenspiel's cant be played as fast as needed in the passage in question. There's a distinct "bell piano" sound to a celeste. It's definitely a celeste.

5. Annbri

Annbri Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    Yep, a celeste. It's also the theme used in the Harry Potter soundtrack, also written by our favorite composer (naturally).
    For you HP fans out there, it's also part of the name of one of the members of the Weird Sisters. Every HP name has a meaning...

6. Annbri

Annbri Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    Pardon me, I got ahead of myself. It's the instrument USED in the theme for Harry Potter. Ooops.

7. across0the0stars

across0the0stars Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 29, 2003
    damn, cakewalk is a pain =(, i've tried it before and i got so frustrated, however ya might wanna try a download of finale, ya can't save or anything but i like it much better, the program itself is $600 or so, i don't remember but there is a big discount if youre a student, and teachers i think, but definately students =P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.