main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Twins!

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by Jedi_Jimbo, Oct 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Jimbo

Jedi_Jimbo Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2004
    Just a thought, but who would you like to be twinned with eventually?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Nicole de Boer :D

3. Black_Scout

Black_Scout Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2003
  4. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I was thinking maybe some US city / province that has a name link with something in the North - there is a York/Lancaster,PA group here: http://boards.theforce.net/York_lancaster,_PA/b10486/
    It's the North East Seaboard and hasn't been twinned as far as I can see. We have the olde War of the Roses connection with em too lol :D and two great Northern cities!

There is also Richmond, PA: http://boards.theforce.net/Richmond,_VA/b10421/

Does that seem logical? Since aside from Philly and NYC, most people on here don't know any US people posting in our area regularly aside from one or two San Diego people. Philly and NYC are taken as twins already (and I personally wouldn't be much good if NYC were twinned with us - it isn't nasty so apologies if is sounds that way, just the ways things turned out)

Also we need to think about language barriers, I reckon a US place would be a good one - or maybe an Aussie one?

Rebel_Spook is the VIP for York/Lancaster - http://boards.theforce.net/user.asp?usr=680055

5. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    With two other Chapters already having US twinnings it might be good to break the trend and look Europe way. Or maybe Aus or Canada.

6. jedi_master_booth

jedi_master_booth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 2005
    oz or canada sound fine needs more looking into before we start twinning - and the whole ff northen thread needs to have there say

7. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Take anywhere that is completely out of the way. Chile, for example. Or Greece.

8. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    I posted on the York/Lancaster board and its all meets and stuff they seem to talk about. I don't think we would gel very well with them. Also there's very little updating of threads going on over there. I reckon somewhere English speaking and socialiable would be good. I've been hanging out on the German boards and they speak English well, that might be an interesting pairing [face_thinking]

9. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    //puts on square glasses and Herr Flick wig.....

...das ist eine gut idea Fräulein Scout...:D

10. Black_Scout

Nov 10, 2003
    Danke Jase, Ich habe viele gute idea!

11. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    When will this happen?

12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    This is something that can be looked at in more details after the elections are over.

I like the German idea though. I did German in school and speak it very poorly now but have been meaning the get round to trying out again, I can get by if required.

I also agree that moving out of the safe haven of the US may be a good idea. Not because of any anti US thoughts but purely to be a little different. We have close ties with the US through the other sections of FF:UK we should look to either Europe or Oceania.

13. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I've been posting in the Greece area, since I wanted to know if there were any SW fans from Rhodos, I got a lot of replies back from the Greek fans - so there isn't a problem with talking English. If it came to a vote, I'd say Greece - the founders of Western Society, whereas all the Germans did was bomb our chippies! Not that there is any evidence they actually did, but is sounds good :p

14. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Nah - Germans rule - cheap flights there with Easyjet, great conventions and they just look so damn funny! :p

They are actually nice people.

Only one downside. They love this man.

[image=http://img112.echo.cx/img112/5011/dhkitt29ye.jpg]

15. Lord_Ogli

Lord_Ogli Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    Hey, Don;t mock the Hoffmeister. He's right up there with The Shat he is.

16. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Ok, thought I'd take a look, Just one snag with German boards. They don't speak English. We'd have to have Black_Scout translate everything :p

17. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ...thats just a crafy way of cutting us outta their conversations!

If I can get the guys in Chile to have English threads, then why not Germany?

They will love us...! As a token of our goodwill, we will present to them these gifts, these Steps will serve them well...
    [image=http://www.pop-music.com/steps/steps.jpg]

18. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    Seeing the thread on London celebrating their twinning with NY reminded me about this thread.

The German FF has one or two things going for it, but the main two things that we share are our mutual liking of beers and strange sausages! Hmm, black pudding and sauer kraut - lovely :p

19. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    What is black pudding?

Black pudding is boiled pig's blood in a length of intestine. In the UK our puddings are usually bound with cereal with suet or cubes of fat added. European puddings are lighter because they are often made with cream instead of cereals.

Black pudding is especially popular in Northern England, Scotland and Ireland. The heartland for black puddings must be Lancashire. The World Black Pudding throwing Competition takes place every year in Bury, the object is to throw puddings at a row of Yorkshire Puddings on a wall and knock off as many as possible!

A Black Pudding Fair is also held each year in Mortagne au Perche in Normandy, France and over 5 km of pudding are consumed!

Black pudding is growing in popularity and is appearing on a number of restaurant menus. It combines very well with pork, lamb, fish (scallops, oysters, squid, muscles) and fruit (apples, pears, grapes, rhubarb). Lishmans of Ilkley made a superb ?restaurant? pudding which contains fruit. Our recipe section contains several recipes and more will be added on a regular basis.

Keep an eye out for pork and black pudding sausages such as those made by Lishmans of Ilkley and Elite Meat of Harrogate.

Different countries, same idea

Most black pudding recipes derive from the same need to make use of everything when a pig is butchered.

They follow the same basic recipe and use similar flavourings such as onions, mace and black pepper. The main versions and the key ingredients are summarised below.

Black pudding - UK - pigs blood, pork fat and cereal (oatmeal and or barley)
    Drisheen - Ireland - as above but with lamb?s blood
    Boudin noir - France - pigs blood, pork fat, breadcrumbs, brandy or calvados and cream
    Morcilla - Spain - pigs blood, pork fat, paprika, cooked long grain rice, sherry and sometimes raisins

Two wordS - GO VEGETARIAN![face_dancing]

20. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    I wish them luck with that, I found it hard enough getting replies even when I was going out with one of their members lol. Some nice people in MEPA, some ... well it's New Year, I best let bygones be bygones.

I have no skill in the German language, so I guess that'll be a barrier for me, but if the group wants to go with Germany, I'll support it. :D

21. go-away

Apr 21, 2003
    Worry not Tim, they all speak and write really good English. Have "spoken" to their RSA many a time on MSN in the past and been in the German speaking thread and I do not speak a word of the lingo. Just go in speaking English.

Not sure if it was decided upon - think it is all still open for suggestions.

22. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    I'll go with that!
    [image=http://www.genelogic.de/osimages/dengflag.gif]

23. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    So, where we up to on this?
    Chris, maybe we should have a vote about who we prefer - but I also think any possible twins should be "approached" by our nice CR, what do you think?

24. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    * Force Push * to Chris....and it might be worth remembering that Germany (Berlin) is where the European Fan Force Meeting is happening in Spring (after the Footy)too, so worth getting in early..;)

http://boards.theforce.net/uk_regional_forum/b10027/22784048/p1/?19

25. Lord_Ogli

Oct 5, 2001
    Awe, No one said being CR involved doing stuff [face_not_talking] I just thought it ment I got all my drinks bought for me at meets :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.