main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

twirl a lightsaber

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by CarbonKnight, Jun 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    how do i twirl it like obi wan?

2. Kai-Rhann

Kai-Rhann Jedi Master star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    You can accomplish "twirling" moves by keeping your grip primarily with the thumb and forefinger, keeping the other fingers in a state of easy flex. The actual "twirl" comes from "rocking" or "rolling" (rock and roll?) your wrist in a over/under fashion. It takes a little practice, but mostly it comes from having good flexibility in the wrist.

Make any sense of that? I hope it helped...

-Kai

3. TenguJedi

TenguJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    Ok first grip the saber in your hand, like so.. then with deft movements of your wrist like this...you twirl....*thump* [face_shocked] [face_blush] ..umm... :_| MEDIC!!!! :D

4. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    its like spinning a drum stick, you hold it in your thumb and pointer and then you just turn your wrist over. its easier then you think and it only takes a little practice in your backyard.

5. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    Yep. Very similar to a drumstick. And, yes, it's easier than you might think...

--Kai

6. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks,
    I had NO clue these things are as big as they are. The hilt is slightly smaller than my wrist,(my wrist 5' around, ,hilt at thinest part 4' around.) and w/ the blade on, the whole assembly comes to my shoulders, 48" from the floor to my shoulder and I'm an even 5' tall.

That's a tall weapon for a small person. :)

With my very tiny stature, would I need to do any slight modifications for twirling or other things? I'm thinking I'd ahve to experiment to se what hapens, I only ask if there are any other short Jedi in the house w/a similar problem.

Padawan Mynn

7. Kai-Rhann

Jan 12, 2002
    You'd be up against the same situation I would have if I was using an extremely long blade, Mynn. I'd suggest a shorter blade for you (about 30")...

If I remember, weren't you interested in a Parks Saber? Or do you already have one? At any rate, you might see if it's possible to modify a Parks (ie. shorten the blade). Of course, that's only if you have difficulty with it. Practice with a dowell rod, or something like it.

--Kai

8. Venardhi

Venardhi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2002
    Sabers are only supposed to have 34 inch blades if I remember right. . . thats just under 3 feet. Hilts are about a foot long. Depending on the user.

9. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    It's a Parks Saber. Hilt is 12" and Blade is 36". Just a couple inches bigger then the 34 mentioned before.

Mynn

10. DAKAI_SERAKI

DAKAI_SERAKI Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    I learn martial arts, and that helps me alot. I can do way more than just twirling lightsabers. you should try it.

11. Phil-The-Fan

Phil-The-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    I think what really helps is when you don't have a middle finger. I was born without one, and I can do some amazing twirling.

If you are that desperate, you can do so, but I wouldn't do it.

But my best advice is to twirl with the wrist (It's all in the wrist) and evolve from that.

12. Smiling-Otter

Smiling-Otter Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 21, 2001
    A little off-topic, but Phil - I hope you other hand's OK. Otherwise, how do you flip people off? Even then, you can only flip off one person at a time. Must be rough... :)

13. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    DaKai,
    I was taking some Kung Fu classes, but injured my foot and had to back out until it healed. It sucked to stay out.:(

Parks Sabers are balanced quite well IMO.
    Now how heavy were the saber in ATOC and SW:TPM? What were their pracice things made of? Anyone know? I'm trying compare the weight of theirs comapred to the Parks Saber.

Mynn

14. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    I practice my movements with them all the time. Twirling is fun, but the real fun is in learning the move with your weapon so that you flow with it, like it's a part of you.

A good read to learn about swordsmanship is here this man was a legend in his time and is probably the Michael Jordan of kenjutsu. Nothing beats actual training, but at least you won't look foolish if you practice something you read and visiualize. Imitating the movie moves helps too. With time and practice you can perform many of the moves you see on screen reflexively.

Hope this helps!

15. Harvester-of-Sorrow

Harvester-of-Sorrow Jedi Youngling

Jun 29, 2002
    Actually, I learned how to do it through trial and error, and by watching films. (I prefer the conan the barbarian method of swinging over obi-wans though) Just rent the movie, and if you have a really good vcr. (OR dvd just watch it in slo mo until you get it. then go practice!

16. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Thanks Jar Jar.
    That';s what i do, read the books,a dnw atch accurate movies and do the moves. When I'm in calsses the movements are second nature to me.

padawan Mynn

17. Phil-The-Fan

Phil-The-Fan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 6, 2002
    Otter, Yes, my other hand is fine, and I do take advantage with it

Besides, I write with the hand with the missing finger.

18. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    Twirling isnt so bad. I taught myself to do it even while wearing my grossly oversized Plo Koon gloves. ANd lucky you, I have myself doing it on an uploaded video! You can download it RIGHT now and see an immediate demonstration of a Obi Wan Saber spin:::: as performed by Plo Koon.

Its part of my Celebration II video, which you can watch right HERE:::

CELEBRATION MOVIE

19. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Wow, Very nice vids Boskone_Kenobi.
    I got a kick out of the Light Saber frizting up.LOL :D

Padawan Mynn

20. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    Speaking of saber twirling, mine showed up today. Now I can pratice w/ my own saber.:D
    The Echelon is sweet. Looks great,even the mail man got a bang out of it.
    Mynn

21. DimensionX

DimensionX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    I can do a kickflip lightsaber twirly wirly :)

22. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    What'sa Kick flip w/a saber? I can do that w/ a skate voard, but never thought of trying it with asaber. Is it the same?

Mynn

23. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    to clarify, i was asking how do I twirl it like Obi-Wan? With ONE hand... not two

24. Jauhzmynn

Jun 16, 2002
    hey carbon Knight,
    Sorryt we all got mixed up. :)
    Ok here's how I did it.
    Held saber in right hand. I had my hand up to almsot thyhe top of hte hilt, turned my hand back towarnd my back w/ saber, brought pinkiy finger AROUND hilt, to turn it forward.and flip with the wrist. (Just like if youwere to twirl a pen or drum stick. you weave your fingers around the stick and use them to move it.) You may have to see me do that though. :) May any sense, is it clear? If not I'll revise. :)

I've very small hands and wrists to to twirl an item that's as big as my own wrist is interesting.

Mynn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.