main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Two Death Stars in ROTJ

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by kingthlayer, Sep 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I have read something here before about two DS that were supposed to be in ROTJ.

Does anybody know anything else about this?

Would anyone have liked to have a final battle involving two space stations? I think it would have been a really awesome spectacle.

2. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I think it would have been pretty lame, trying simply to out-do ANH simply for the sake of out-doing it like many sequels do

I've never heard of any such thing either

3. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    yes. there is old conceptual art that shows 2 death stars in orbit over a planet. someone posted pics of it a few weeks ago. i'll try to find the link to that old post.

4. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    I've heard about it. The original intention was to feature two Death Stars over Coruscant. There's even a Ralph McQuarrie painting of them. But the idea was droped for the Endor idea.

5. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    Coruscant wasn't Coruscant at the time(different name), but Endor was it's moon, and the two Death Stars were in orbit there. And Luke and Vader's duel was in the depth of the Imperial homeworld.

6. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Yeah, in the Imperial Palace. I've got a painting of Luke and Vader entering the massive palace gates as well. :)

7. sithlord2049

sithlord2049 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2002
    Can you find these and post them?

8. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Sorry, but they're in my book "The Art of ROTJ". But you should be able to find them somewhere on the Net.

9. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Wow, those idea seem really interesting. If anyone can find these pictures or paintings, please post them.

10. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    TFN Multimedia is your friend.

Two Death Stars: http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/Miscellaneous/rmq-2deathstars.jpg

Gates of the Imperial Palace:
    http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/Miscellaneous/RMQIPLC2.jpg

The Imperial Palace:
    http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/Miscellaneous/RMQIPLC1.jpg

Emperor's Lava Room:
    http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/Miscellaneous/rmq-lavacave.jpg

Throne in Lava Room:
    http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/archive/Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/Miscellaneous/rmq-empthrone.jpg

These and much more (including some nifty concept designs of Coruscant):
    http://cgi.theforce.net/theforce/multimedia/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Images/Classic_Trilogy/Art/Ralph_McQuarrie/Miscellaneous

11. kingthlayer

Jun 7, 2003
    Thanks, Lord Hydronium! :)

12. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    I've heard about it. The original intention was to feature two Death Stars over Coruscant. There's even a Ralph McQuarrie painting of them.

[face_shocked] Oh no...

13. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Would anyone have liked to have a final battle involving two space stations?

What would happen, you'd get them to blow each other up somehow? :p

14. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    That would be pretty cool. They could have it where one of the capital ships gets between them and one of the DS will start to charge up its laser, but right when the DS fires the ship jumps to hyperspace. And then it hits the other DS instead. Kablooie!!! Then the rebels would destroy the other one through normal means (flying into the core and such).

15. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29, did I sense some sarcasm in that posting? Honestly , little teeny boys!

16. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    is it possible that 2 death star had originally been intended. Start one, get it done, begin missions, start the other? i mean 4 years between the first one destroyed and then the second being half way doen, that'd take at least 2 million workers working 12 hour shifts. 1 million on, 1 million off.

17. rajarshinag

rajarshinag Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 24, 2003
    that would have sucked !
    two death stars is childish
    but possible mind u
    what the prob with 1 million workers? when the emperor has the entire galaxy in his control having hundreds of thousands of planets ?

18. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Why would it have sucked? The galaxy is too big for just one Death Star to patrol. Maybe the Emperor wanted a small fleet of them, just in case there was a large uprising across the galaxy.

19. Tatooine_Fireman

Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2003
    I think it would've been cool to see two Death Stars!
    Coruscant was called Had Abbandon first and was the capitol of the Empire, and Endor was called "the sanctuary moon". Both planets had the same design as we know them now.

20. KiAdiMonday

KiAdiMonday Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2003
    Those Death Stars look a lot smaller than the ANH ones. Maybe the original idea was to have many smaller DS rather than puting all your eggs in one basket.

21. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    That would have been a better idea for the plot of ROTJ, to have two smaller Death Stars rather than one honking great Death Star, especially seeing their weakness to being attacked. If one were attacked and destroyed like in ANH and ROTJ, then at least the Empire would have the second station.

22. La_Capitan

La_Capitan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2003
    I like Jedi the way it was. I guess that two would be ok though.

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would wonder if GL would have had a duel shot where the two blow each other to bits, or have the rebels use one to destroy the other, and keep one so they can use it mop up the remainder of Imperials throughout the galaxy.

24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I understand that a lot of the changes that the OT episodes went through were due to constraints in technology. It wasn´t possible to create the Imperial capital on screen the way GL envisioned it, so they decided to make something less grand out of ROTJ.
    Thoughts?

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Mister cellophane, mister cellophane...

C´mon guys, don´t abandon this thread! :mad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.