main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Two dimensional starscape

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by v8er77, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. v8er77

v8er77 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2007
    Visuals alway played an import factor in the Star Wars saga. While Lucas put a lot of detail in the alien planets, I wish he would've made the space scenes more diverse. While we get a sporadic planet or two, the backdrop is infinite stars. I wish he could've added the colorful gaseous intersteller clouds like you see in the pictures sent back from Hubble. The only real significant visual to break the monotony was that galaxy at the end of ESB. I was mildly disappointed that while Lucas spruced up Mos Eisley/Bespin in the '97 rereleases, he neglected to add dimension and scope to the outer space scenes that truly would've been a feast for the senses. Even when given the opportunity to make the space scenes in the PT a more three dimensional look, he just resorted to the boring infinite starscape (although Sith was more of a step in the right direction).

2. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    A nebula was added to the IMAX test-blowup footage of the opening of "Episode IV: A New Hope" several years ago. The camera pans down to reveal Tatooine and, just before the Avenger swoops overhead, you can see a blue/purple-esque nebula in the distance.

I've seen that footage myself and, IMHO, it looked pretty ridiculous.

Doing such effects back in the 70's/80's is difficult, especially if you merely want a wrap-around starfield dotted with interstellar objects (lets not get into the physics that you wouldn't be literally able to SEE nebulas that didn't encompass the ENTIRE starfield to begin with).

They did do a nebula in "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan", but if you watch the film you notice that they do a cheat - one minute they're not in the nebula, then they cut to some action on the Enterprise bridge and then, when they cut to the exterior, they're IN the nebula.

Overall, while the physics of space in Star Wars is totally dodgy anyways, I would not agree with adding additional stellar objects into the background. People - I think - can fudge over the fact that there is no sound in space, but distant nebulars and galaxies merely would confuse the audience and also look very strange as we do not see our own night-sky in that way. Hell that one shot of the quasar/galaxy at the end of "Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back" still makes some people scratch their heads.

Adding such objects into the prequel would also further threaten the continuity between the two trilogies (as if their continuities aren't threatened enough already heheheh).

Note that various Star Wars computer/console games HAVE opted to put stellar objects in the backgrounds of space and with mixed results. If I recall correctly the plot of "Rebel Assault II" dealt with the Empire and Darth Vader hiding secret TIE bases inside a nebular.

3. v8er77

v8er77 Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2007
    They initially added a blue/purple nebula for the Imax print?

I'm probably the only one who'd like to see more of that in the Star Wars movies than the infinite, boring, two dimensional stars Lucas prefers to go with. Incidently, in Revenge of the Sith, there is a bit of a purplish nebula obscured by the Tantive IV.

I read somewhere that Rob Cole (is that his name?) told George Lucas that too much of that makes Star Wars look Trekish.

4. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Nitpick much?:)

5. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    Most of space is just a blank starscape.

And FYI, the Hubble photos are color enhanced. If you were out there, you aren't going to see nebulas that look like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.