main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Two explosions at Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'Community' started by Juliet316 , Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was some lone (probably white) crazy dude who wanted to take out a random convenient public event. But as always, the reaction to this attack will be far worse than the attack itself.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    The Boston Marathon's pretty famous...

3. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Already armed guards patrolling Penn Station. Granted they're usually there every few days, but there was more than usual when I was there.

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i had alpha. it's probably one of the more famous ones out there, really.

and this is just... words fail for this kind of sickening stupidity.

5. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Because the Marathon is THE thing to do in Boston. It's like Jazzfest in New Orleans. Large crowds, generally peaceful.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  6. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    considering its the right wing foreign policy that has gotten most of the terrorists to hate us anyway. Theyre a classic bunch those neo cons..

7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I mean, who had heard of the Olympics before the Atlanta bombing? I sure didn't.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's an international event, for one thing, with reporters from all over the world covering it. Virtual guarantee not only of videos of the event, but professional videos of the event.

9. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

It's a pretty big deal in Boston, since today is the Patriot's Day holiday there (the Red Sox always play a 11am home game every year on this day). So people have heard about it for many years.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  10. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I really do hate to bring politics into this but I wondered how long before I heard or read a pro-gun spin on this story.
    It happened with my very 1st workplace conversation about it (ah Texas).
    Really, can we wait until the bodies are cold before trying to leverage the story for our little hobby horse?

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Seriously? It's an international event, one of the biggest events in the nation. You never heard of it before??

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    A lot of people?

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Wow, racism at play. Whew. Seriously. Shove it.

14. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    If only an armed citizen had been there to shoot the explosions.

Yoda_S, Bacon164, solojones and 10 others like this.
  15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, the Boston Marathon's massive - people come from all corners of the globe to participate.

Juliet316 and Summer Dreamer like this.
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    So someone said that if they'd been there, they would have shot the bomber before he set the bombs?

17. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Grain of salt Juliet. I've heard everything from "too many damn Koreans love their Hitler boy" to "god another McVeigh".

And I do remember people doing the same thing to Bush during 9/11, simply because because they had AF1 hop-scotching around the country for his safety.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm very close to doing that to a friend of mine -- a friend! -- who basically said on facebook that the best response to this tragedy is to not feel emotion for the victims because that's what the perpetrators want and that they don't deserve it. Essentially that there are victims suffering from crimes every day, and that asking questions and getting something done is important being empathy for the victims is pointless.

I am totally disgusted on a very deep level. There are people out there suffering, families that have lost love ones, and the response from this friend is essentially "tough ****, now let's go have fun catching the bad guys." Ugh. There's value in finding out who did it and putting them on trial, but there's also value in uniting together and supporting those who've faced loss. There's value in teaching our children that this kind of thing isn't the answer to the problems you have with society or the world.

The whole "I'm too cool to care" thing... Vile.

19. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    Not really down with twitter, over here. Who do you guys follow for updates?

20. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    The Boston Marathon may not be the Super Bowl but it's a huge deal.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    If only an assault weapons ban had been in place to keep these people from getting killed. Seriously, is that where this thread is headed?

R2-DK likes this.
  22. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Exactly.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The JCC.

24. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    On CNN they say well over 100 injured. Lucky authorities found some of the others so more weren't needlessly injured

25. Kiki-Gonn

Feb 26, 2001
    No, it was the predictable, "See, if a crazy person doesn't have a gun, they'll find some other way."
    Ah yes, therefore there is no point trying to control access to deadly weapons, got it.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.