main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Fran, CA Two Great Exhibits To See in SF!

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JedHead1, Jun 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JedHead1

JedHead1 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 20, 1999
    King Tutankhamun and The Golden Age of The Pharaohs, June 27, 2009 - March 28, 2010:

http://www.tutsanfrancisco.org/

Lords Of The Samurai, June 12 - Sept. 20, 2009:

http://www.asianart.org/Samurai.htm

2. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    The Tut exhibit is really cool. It's the same one that some of us saw in Los Angeles a few years back.

Already got a pair of tixs for Samurai.

3. Jedi_Tenken

Jedi_Tenken Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2000
    Ah! Katana! [face_love] I'm down to see the awesomeness that is the samurai and anything before the end of the Edo Dynasty during the Bakematsu!. :D

4. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm going to see if a former co-worker is still working security at the Asian Art Museum to check out the samurai exhibit.

5. Harlock415

Harlock415 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2003
    Thursdays the museum is open until 9:00 PM and it's $10 after 5:00. The first Sunday of each month is free but with a $5 surcharge, both very good deals.

6. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    How is it free but with a surcharge... Free but you have to pay for it. That's like... smart but retarded. :p

7. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    At Costco, I saw they have a discount ticket and audio tour for the Tut exhibit - 32% off!

8. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    I'm thinking of seeing the Lords of The Samurai exhibit sometime in the next two weeks, since it ends next month.

Anyone else?

9. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    When are you thinking of going? With the bridge down in Sept for a few days it'll limit options further.

10. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    Also...

http://www.cartoonart.org/

Once Upon A Dream: The Art of Sleeping Beauty

July 18, 2009 ? January 10, 2010

11. Tatooinepadme

Tatooinepadme Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Speaking of Disney, the museum in the presidio is opening soon.

12. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Wednesday, the 26th. Then see Inglorious Basterds afterward. :)

I thought that was in October (?)

13. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000

Samurai and Nazis now that's an interesting day... lol. Wouldn't the weekend be better though?

14. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Wednesday is the only day this week that Dale and I are both off, and I think weekends would be more crowded.

15. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I'm attempting to limit my trips into the city to once a week and I wanna go just prior to the bridge shut down cos I can pick up my mail and I got a party on the 28th... I'll have to check it out some other time I think.

Lemme know if they have a decent amount of period pieces from the Edo Era into the Meiji Era. Anything from the Bakumatsu no doran (end of the Edo dynasty) would be very interesting to me...

Also sword making techniques... I know now a days, they use two types of Tanahagane which is "Iron Sand Ore" that is smelted for about a week to get rid of impurities and the metal with highest carbon content is used for the hard cutting edge of the blade. The back bone of the katana is formed by folding purer iron Tanahagane that contains less carbon and thus less hard but allows the metal to be flexible. This merger of the two different types of tanahagane forms the katana ridged strength of it's cutting edge but allows the flexibility to not snap the weapon. Very elegant, very awesome... I'd love to have an modern master piece made by one of their living National Treasure swordsmithes.

16. AKAI_FETT

AKAI_FETT Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 27, 2006
    Yes It opens October 1. We're buying a year pass and we will be there opening day. We went by there last week to see the progress and we snuck into the construction area when no one was around and went to the rear of the building to take a sneak peak. Not much was up yet. but the inside looks amazing! I can not wait for this to open.

[image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2612/3830253621_16f5040a43_b.jpg]
    [image=http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2650/3831035478_8804b48c90_b.jpg]
    [image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3462/3831067866_f1f8512584_b.jpg]

17. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    The Tutankhamun exhibit is shattering; just the amount of gold is mind-numbing. A great way
    to present the new museum after all the hard work. I've been to the museums in Cairo, but this
    really is beautiful given the scale. I hope that everyone who has the opportunity to see this
    show takes advantage of it. Absolutely staggering.

18. Ms_Skywalker

Ms_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 17, 2005
    I saw the King Tut exhibition a few months ago - and I must say it is worth every penny and time waiting! I'd like to see it again during the holidays if anyone is interested in going as a group.

19. Nebelwerfer

Nebelwerfer Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2008
    I'll go with you guys if there's a group, I sure can't miss this one

20. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    I'd be interested, this will probably be the last time those pieces will be allowed outside of Cairo since the Egyptian government is tightening restrictions on sending their artifacts out of the country, even temporarily. Therefore, it maybe a once in a life time opportunity...

21. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Count me in, too. I saw the King Tut exhibit in the early '80's and it is stunning! Pictures of the artifacts, especially the gold death mask, just do not do them justice!!

Let me know the date, etc., so I can plan accordingly.

Also, if any of you are Jericho fans, there's a Jericho rangers picnic this weekend at the Martinez Regional Park in Martinez.

If anyone wants details, pm me.

22. Jedi_Tenken

Aug 11, 2000
    Did you guys go? I may go this weekend! Lemme know how it was!

23. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    No. Something came up last minute. We'll have to do it next Wednesday.

24. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    OK, Dale and I are definitely going to the Samurai exhibit on Wednesday, then watching Inglorious Basterds at Century 9 on Mission St.

25. JedHead1

Feb 20, 1999
    Ming, there's definitely stuff you'd like in the Museum Store, especially books, like the Samurai Code, Samurai Fighting Styles, and The Book of The Five Rings, along with a book with the exhibit pieces, to name a few. If you have three figures to spend, they have helmets, swords, (mini-swords, and armor for sale.

They also have some nice DVD's for sale, including one on swords that they were playing in the lobby, and smaller items like small samurai figurines, magnets and posters.

I enjoyed seeing some Star Wars-related stuff in the exhibit, especially a sign that showed how samurai put on their armor. It reminded me of many 501st events seeing everyone suit up! The samurai even had their own "tubs" to store their armor like we do! lol.

You can take a guided tour or go on your own if you wish. It takes about 2 hours to see the whole exhibit, and you can use your ticket to see the rest of the museum, which has many great pieces as well.

There's no photography allowed, but I took non-flash ones in other places in the museum, as well as some in the Resource Center on the 1st floor, where you can try on kiminos and pose in a Japanese setting.

The exhibit is only $10 tonight from 5 - 9 pm, and the last free day (actually $5) is this Sunday, Sept. 6. The exhibit ends its run Sept. 20.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.