main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Two keys to victory (possible Traitor and Destiny's Way spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediAlly, Jun 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    We've known for some time that the New Republic will begin to turn the tide in Destiny's Way. Now it's obvious that the Jedi will play a critical role in this endeavor. As I see it, for this to happen, the Jedi will have found what I call the "two keys to victory" before Destiny's Way comes out.

The Jedi have found the first "key" - their role in the conflict. This is something that's been plaguing Luke from the very beginning, for he faced two hindrances from the very beginning: appeasing the New Republic government and feeling that taking the direct path to fighting the Yuuzhan Vong would lead them all to the dark side. As strange as this sounds, Borsk helped him get rid of the first hindrance. By selling out the Jedi Academy and trying to put Luke under arrest, he made Luke realize that his first obligations were to the Jedi order and to serving the galaxy, not just the New Republic. Furthermore, these obligations predate the New Republic. I think Luke got himself out of the hole the Jedi order of old got themselves into around the time of the prequel trilogy.

I think the second hindrance was the last lingering effect of Luke's turn to the dark side. He's been so wary of the dark side that he felt he needed to find a course that wouldn't force the Jedi to resort to the dark side. I think he realized that the Jedi need to function as a "sword" and a "shield" in any conflict. Acting as a "shield" means that they stand in the face of an aggressor, denying him the opportunity to proceed forward. He came to that realization while facing Irek Ismaren/Lord Nyax in Rebel Stand. Acting as a "sword" means that they will have to take the fight to the enemy. From the Destiny's Way description it seems that Jaina will definitely be acting as a "sword" when she leads the fight against the Yuuzhan Vong flagship.

From the Traitor excerpt, I think Jacen will learn how to act a "shield", and by that I mean not only will be standing in the face of the aggressor, he'll also be standing with those who are in the aggressor's path, sharing the pain that might be inflicted upon them by the aggressor. He'll be letting them know that they're not alone, which is the lesson behind Vergere's shadowmoth story.

Furthermore, in acting as a "sword" and a "shield", the Jedi have to realize that they have an obligation to those who fight along side them. That's the lesson Kyp and Jaina learned at the end of Dark Journey. I think by now all the Jedi but Jacen have the first "key".

The second "key" is learning to sense the Yuuzhan Vong through the Force. Anakin had the "key" when, as I understand it, he committed himself not to the Force but to something more fundamental. Something from which the Force radiates. Sadly, that "key" was lost when he died, not being able to pass on what he learned.

However, I do think the Jedi can regain the second "key". I think Tahiri and Jacen are the answers to regaining the second "key". We've seen in Rebel Stand how Tahiri was able to merge her true personality with the Yuuzhan Vong way of thinking and defeat Irek Ismaren/Lord Nyax. As for Jacen, I don't know for certain but I think the "new understanding" he'll gain in Traitor will enable him to find the second "key". If this is true, then once Jacen and Tahiri pass on what they've learned to the other Jedi, then all the Jedi will have the second "key".

Edit: I think finding these two "keys" will have an additional benefit. Yoda said in AOTC that the Jedi have lost something, something that they had during the Sith War of long ago. I believe Obi-Wan and Yoda found that "something" between AOTC and the OT. Perhaps finding the two "keys" will enable the Jedi to gain that same "something".

2. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Comments, anyone?

Edit: Soontir-Fel, I don't have the Bounty Hunter Wars, and I've never read them. So, no offense intended, what's your point?

3. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Your use of thr word "key" reminds me of the Bounty hunter wars use of Barve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.