main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Two Mysterious Questions I need answered by STAR WARS experts

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by HanSolo69, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo69

HanSolo69 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2003
    One: How the hell do they throw their lightsabres? And how exactly to the light sabres actually hit each other and not like go through and tear each other up.

Two: Why on earth can't they use the force to save themselves outta so many situations? Do mind tricks work on Boba Fett? Why dont they fly around more like Neo in the Matrix?

Ok everyone help me with those

2. JangoFett316

JangoFett316 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 2, 2001
    One: How the hell do they throw their lightsabres? And how exactly to the light sabres actually hit each other and not like go through and tear each other up.

Jedi/Sith use the Force to control their saber when they throw it.

Lightsabers are blades of energy that can cut through anything except another lightsaber blade (Or cortosis ore or vondunn (sp?) crab armor if you believe the EU, ugh).

Two: Why on earth can't they use the force to save themselves outta so many situations? Do mind tricks work on Boba Fett? Why dont they fly around more like Neo in the Matrix?

Like everything else in life, using the Force requires effort and sometimes preparation. Sometimes Jedi are caught off guard and are unable to prevent some things.

Boba Fett is just like many other beings in the galaxy and just as susceptible to mind tricks as they are. Hutts and Toydarians have the rare ability to resist mind tricks.

The Matrix is not Star Wars, its realm of realism was thrown out the door many years ago. While Star Wars is still science fiction, it holds onto a strong sense of realism, one that draws many people to the franchise.

3. robfett

robfett Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2002
    The Matrix is not Star Wars, its realm of realism was thrown out the door many years ago. While Star Wars is still science fiction, it holds onto a strong sense of realism, one that draws many people to the franchise.

I totaly agree. But the matrix is a very different movie, and has it's pros too.

Rick McCallum thinks you're seriously deranged!

4. Corran10584

Corran10584 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 8, 2002
    I can do my best to answer these.

For your first question, all the Jedi do to throw their lightsabers, is to use the Force to lock the blade in the "on" position, then they use the Force to guide the blade to it's intended target.

As for flying around like Neo in the Matrix, it takes effort just for Jedi to use the Force to help them leap high and things like that. Look at Yoda in AOTC, he used to Force to allow him to leap around with ease. After the fight, he has used a lot of his energy, that's why he has to pick his cane back up.

5. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    How the hell do they throw their lightsabres?

They throw their lightsabers just like anyone would throw a stick. However, if they need it to go farther, aim it, and/or get it to come back to their hand, they control it with the Force. ;) :)

And how exactly to the light sabres actually hit each other and not like go through and tear each other up.

When activated, internal power cells create photoelectric energy which is focused through one, two, or three multi-facted crystals. In the lightsabers of the Jedi Knights, these crystals were found in nature, a task which required the Jedi to focus their concentration on selecting a stone which would focus the energy and not explode. More often than not, the Jedi Knights of the Old Republic used crystals which emitted blue or green blades. The Sith, however, used synthetic crystals formed in incredibly hot ovens, using their emotional control of the Force to assist in the formation of the stone. These Sith crystals generated a red blade which had the unusual strength to cleave a normal lightsaber blade in two. However, the energy output of the lightsabers usually balanced themselves out, therefore not cutting through one another.

The energy was formed into a tight, parallel beam of coherent packets. These packets are emitted through a positively-charges, continuous energy lens which projects the packets away from the lightsaber. The packets are almost immediately attracted back to the lightsaber by a negatively-charged, high-energy flux aperature, and then continually recycled to create the glowing blade. The packets are recycled by a superconductor back into the power cell for re-energizing. The entire process is completely contained. No energy is lost, since the light in the blade is recaptured. No heat is generated, either. The only energy loss occurs when the blade strikes an object. ;) :)

Why on earth can't they use the force to save themselves outta so many situations?

Actually, they do most of the time, if you'll notice. However, some situations require strength in areas other than the Force. Remember, the Force is not a crutch, it is an ally.. ;) :)

Do mind tricks work on Boba Fett?

Perhaps, although I would think that, from what we have gathered from him in the films and EU that he has a vast array of knowledge in many areas, that he would not be weak-minded and therefore not susceptible to mind-tricks. :)

Why dont they fly around more like Neo in the Matrix?

Some actually do, and can, although it takes much skill and training. Take Yoda, for example. If you slow down his fight with Count Dooku, you'll see he is actually leaping and manuevering similar to what Neo does in the Matrix. The only reason this is not readily apparent is because of the Matrix's "slow motion" camera shots. ;) :)

Hutts and Toydarians have the rare ability to resist mind tricks.

Actually, Hutts and Toydarians can be influenced by mind-tricks. However, through natural selection (mostly because of their reputation in areas of business), it became almost an instict of strong-mindedness. ;)

Ken Kenobi- And you have a nice day ;)

6. Iron_Fist

Iron_Fist Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2003
    Also remember that the Force can't be used on and on and on, it'll leave you feeling very drained. And most Jedi/Sith don't have enough raw power (not even Anakin) to constantly fly around all over the place. Very exhausting, that is. And strong-minded people, like Boba Fett, have a resistance to Jedi mind tricks. Other species have a natural resistance to Force tricks.

7. HanSolo69

Jun 22, 2003
    yeah well I still think Yoda or one of them coulda just done a lot more. Yoda shouldn't f##kkked dooku up. Like without him cheating...used a little force magic to disable the ship or something cool like that. I dunno. JUst think they should take more advantage of it...even if it does make em a little outta breath

8. Jedi_Stratus

Jedi_Stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    The Matrix is not Star Wars, its realm of realism was thrown out the door many years ago.

every single thing in the matrix is utterly possible, you must remember that the world that neo flies in is not real, and so anything is possible

9. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    every single thing in the matrix is utterly possible

[face_laugh] ... [face_plain] ... [face_laugh]

10. Jedi_Stratus

Jedi_Stratus Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    *cries*

i meant in the matrix, in the matrix!!!

in the matrix you can do anything because its not real

11. HanSolo69

Jun 22, 2003
    so if I know more about the force than you do, can I throw my lightsabre in such a fashion that you couldnt' just deflect it away?

12. ratmankey

ratmankey Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Why dont they fly around more like Neo in the Matrix?

Maybe cause this is Star Wars and not the Matrix? :confused:

13. JangoFett316

Oct 2, 2001
    The Matrix is not Star Wars, its realm of realism was thrown out the door many years ago.

every single thing in the matrix is utterly possible, you must remember that the world that neo flies in is not real, and so anything is possible

Then, I must ask, what is the point of watching something where there is no boundaries? If everything is possible, what's the point?
    There's nothing monumental to a series when anything can happen for no reason.

14. HanSolo69

Jun 22, 2003
    I was just wondering maybe the JEdi could use the force more to their advantage. I mean both of them throw @#$# around and it's cool, but the light side doesnt' have cool force lightning. THey should have some kinda...I dunno...cool trick they can use.

15. JangoFett316

Oct 2, 2001
    Jedi use the Force, not abuse it. Using the Force to create a great advantage for one's self is a step towards the dark side.

16. HanSolo69

Jun 22, 2003
    Eh...good point.

17. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    A Jedi does not act for personal power or wealth but seeks knowledge and enlightenment. A true Jedi never acts from hatred, anger, fear, or aggression but acts when calm and at peace with the Force.

Straight from the Jedi Code. ;) :)

Neo fights because he must. There is no "Dark Side" within the Matrix, for the enemies are computer programs and machines, and one cannot simply become part of them through acting in anger or aggression (however, as proven in Reloaded, a program can become a person, as Agent Smith did).

If Jedi were to fly around, not only would it expend way too much energy, but it would be a waste. Like I said, the Force is not a crutch, but rather an ally. It is there when you need it, but it should not be used to lean upon when physical means are available.

Read the Dark Tide duology for more on this philosophy. Mara Jade makes it quite clear to Anakin... ;) :)

18. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Mara also explains it pretty well to Luke in Visions of the Future as well. That was the last pre-New Jedi Order book from the Star Wars EU.

19. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    The only energy loss occurs when the blade strikes an object.

So what happens when the crystal runs out of energy?

so if I know more about the force than you do, can I throw my lightsabre in such a fashion that you couldnt' just deflect it away?

If I know more about boxing, could I punch a person in a way they can't deflect it? Contrary to how it might apper, having the Force doesn't make it set that you win every battle.

20. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    so what happens when the crystal runs out of energy?

The crystal can't run out of energy, because the crystal is not the mechanism that gives the lightsaber is power. Rather, the crystal focuses the power cell's enemy charge into a tight parallel beam that emerges from the blade emitter as a vibrant blade of pure energy.

Now, since the blade is a closed energy loop, its amplitude determines when the energy beam arcs back to the negatively charged high-energy flux aperture that rings the outer edge of the lightsaber's concave disk. The power cell can last two years because it is fed by the energy that enters the flux aperture.

Therefore the only energy is lost when the blade makes contact with another object.

Once the power cell runs out, it is a simply matter of recharging it. If you take a look at a lightsaber hilt up close, you'll notice a recharge socket. That is for the recharging of the power cell once it runs out. ;) :)

21. young_paddy1

young_paddy1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    You say

The power cell can last two years because it is fed by the energy that enters the flux aperture.

but does this mean if the saber was on constantly and always touching something, because you say in your next sentence.

Therefore the only energy is lost when the blade makes contact with another object.

22. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    but does this mean if the saber was on constantly and always touching something

No. The "two years" is actually an estimate, considering that you would have your lightsaber touch an object at least every day. Sort of like, let's say, how many miles you can get with a gallon of gas. You're given an estimate of how many miles, but that's not always the case, as you can get more or less out of a gallon of gas depending on different factors.

A lightsaber cutting through a piece of flimsiplast would lose very little power. However, a lightsaber coming in contact with another lightsaber or vonduun crab armor, both things it cannot actually penetrate, you'll be using much more power. So really the two years is not a concrete figure, but just an average of what a power cell lasts. ;) :)

23. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    The Force is something that can be tapped into, but is its own entity unto itself, with it's own will, as manifested by the conceiving of Anakin Skywalker.

Like Obi-wan said when Luke asked if the Force controlled one's actions:

"Partially, but it also obeys your commands."

24. mrslush50

mrslush50 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    "Why dont they fly around more like Neo in the Matrix?"

umm...

hello!!!

Skywalker

how do you think his ancestors got their name?

duh!!

8-}

25. HanSolo69

Jun 22, 2003
    I think everyone should use the force...to do cool stuff like..."you will bring captain solo and teh wookkie to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" That stuff needs to be utilized more. Mind tricks on clone troopers...etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.