main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Two Sides of the Same Credit - Luke short story, AU - updated 7/8/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Two Sides of the Same Credit
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Mara, OC
    Genre: Short story, AU
    Summary: Luke, alone and bitter, is given a new perspective.

Two Sides of the Same Credit

Sometimes he wondered when her hate had turned into love. And when his love had turned into hate.

Love. Hate.

Two sides of the same credit. Give it a spin and everything changes.

That was the heart of the matter, of course. They had been enemies transformed into lovers, but somewhere along the way, their love had soured and gone bitter, leaving him alone and lonely. And angry. Mostly angry.

Even after so many years, his anger against her was a stumbling block, an obstacle between him and complete communion with the Force.

The memories, which he could have kept locked away like tiny treasures, instead goaded him, and fed his bitterness. Maybe it hadn?t been a single moment at all that had seen tenderness turn to fury, instead, perhaps it had been a long and slippery slope that he had started down. No turning back, no stopping, just go along for the wild ride.

Yes, that was it, that was what nagged at him.

It had been inevitable.

Even now, he would turn over in his bed and reach for her. The cool empty sheets were always a shock. After all those years, it always took his mind just a second or two to remember, to put him back in his place.

And that place was alone.

She had left him, walked away with just a single glance over her shoulder. Those green eyes had burned into his and something had flickered there briefly. Had it been regret? Probably not. Mara Jade wasn?t the type for regret. But maybe, just maybe, there had been some sentimental feeling for what might have been. Perhaps.

No matter what she had felt when she left, the end result had been the same. Funny, he had never thought she?d leave him. Was that arrogance or hope? Probably both, he admitted to himself. Or maybe neither. Not that it mattered.

The first few days he had fallen into a sullen rage, locked himself away from the galaxy and those who still loved him. All of their tender concern meant nothing, not really. She had deemed him unlovable and that was that.

Luke Skywalker. Jedi Master, son of Darth Vader.

Would that be all he was remembered for when he became one with the Force? Would there be no woman who had loved him and taken him into her bed and heart? No child with his eyes and streak of recklessness? No little boy or girl that would make him crazed with pride and annoyance in the same moment?

No. That was done.

She had taken that possibility with her when she left. Idly, he wondered where she was now, where her journey had taken her. When she walked away from him, she had walked away from everything she knew, taken off in her ship and put him in her past.

Strangely, infuriatingly, he could not relegate her to his past. She was very much now, her claws still snugged securely into his heart and soul. It was hardly fair, but that was the way of things.

Slowly, however, the love had turned to hate. Not indifference, no, he had cared too much about her for that. His emotions would always be strong where she was concerned, for good or bad, that was simply the truth.

Sighing, Luke rolled over in his bed and reached across the endless span of empty bed. She had been much in his thoughts lately, even more so than usual. He wondered why, and considered the thought that the Force was whispering a warning in his head.

Possible.

He got to his feet, ready to face another day, or at least put up a good pretense. That was what he did now, put on a mask and pretended to be Luke Skywalker. He was good at it, not even Leia could see through the mask to the chaotic swirl of emotions that lived behind it.

Sometimes, he thought Han suspected. There was more to the former smuggler than met the eye; he had impeccable instincts so Luke was careful. He was a Jedi Master who felt alienated from the Force. And yet he still taught the young ones with the same dedicatio

2. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    Whoa.... that was a surprise there. I wasn't surprised that Mara left, but that she'd never tell Luke about his child. Hmm. I wonder what her reasons where. [face_thinking]

Very interesting story. I'm taking it there's more?

3. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    Hmmm? This looks good! Could you please add me to the PM list?

4. w-righter

w-righter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2007
    ?Well Anakin Jade-? Luke started but Anakin was shaking his head.

?No, it?s Anakin Jade Skywalker,? the boy corrected him. ?Mom?s idea,? he added with a little grimace.

That?s a sensitive spot there, Luke reflected.

?I?m Luke Skywalker,? the Jedi said and offered his hand. ?I?m your father.?

Say the words, make them real.

Anakin stared at the proffered hand for a moment and then slowly took it. ?Anakin Jade Skywalker,? he repeated. ?And I guess I?m yours now.? That was all, a simple declaration of fact. Luke heard Mara in those words.

He studied the son he had not known existed. The reasons for his ignorance no longer mattered.

And he realized another truth.

Hate could turn back into love.

This 'ending' is simply beautiful. Well, done! Indeed, well done! =D=
    I would like to see more of tihs stuff, so, if you're going to have a PM list, please, add me to it. :)

5. star_writer24

star_writer24 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 15, 2006
    WOW! I really really enjoyed that...if you ever decide to do more with your Anakin OC let me know I would love to read more stories about him! Just out of curiousity how old is he say...compared to the twins?

6. palpyisgod2

palpyisgod2 Jedi Master star 2

Aug 7, 2005
    oh...loving this already! PM's here, babe!

7. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Ooh, this is very interesting. [face_thinking] I like the way you've written a disenchanted Luke, very in-character for him, I think. I see a lot of Mara in their son. And I'm wondering as well what it was that prompted her to leave... [face_thinking]

Very intriguing - hope there's more to come. :D

8. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    WOW

Mara left Luke? :eek: :eek: and kept his son from him? :eek: :eek:

At least she instructed Anakin to seek his father should something happen to her.

I'm glad to see Luke not holding on to his anger anymore.

Please PM me with updates? [face_praying]

Looking forward to more

=D= =D= =D= =D=

9. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, my. What a shock this fic was! At first I thought it tied into your 'write something you hate' vig, but I didn't expect this! Mara gone and she and Luke had a son, raised on Tatooine. Wow!

I'll be looking for more.

10. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    Very intriguing. Luke felt very dark, though

11. Blue_but_beautiful

Blue_but_beautiful Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    wow brilliant little ficlet here, with a sting in it's tail for Luke too, I really didn't see that one coming. Beautifully written stuff, really touching/moving in the right places too. Any plans to add to it? :)

12. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh Kim this is absolutely wonderful!! I felt so bad for how bitter Luke had become -- and then their son... so many questions! Really can't wait for more of this :D

How do you get so many ideas??? Might I be added to your PM list for this story? (even if it's in Beyond? :p)

=D==D=

13. DancerPadme

DancerPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2007
    I loved it!

Even if Mara left Luke AND hid their child away from him. Mara dying didn't please me either as well :p

But in all seriousness I really did enjoy it :) Especially the hopeful glimmer at the end.

14. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Wow! Fab-u-lous! I must go back and read this through again...

He started to approach his office and then something stopped him in tracks. The Force was no longer whispering, but crying out with urgency. Closing his eyes, he dove into those warm and comforting currents and to his relief, found acceptance. Lately, he had sometimes found the path blocked, filled with a shadow he did not understand but which he feared.
    Now, however, a bright beacon welcomed him, shimmering slightly just beyond his reach. Opening his eyes, he opened his heart as well, making way for all the possibilities the Force could offer.

I loved this moment. The way you wrote it I just knew that there would be something HUGE on the other side of that office door.

?I understand you want to be a Jedi,? Luke offered.
    Shrugging, the boy answered, ?Not especially. But I?ve been told I should be.?

Oh, these two are going to butt heads...a lot.

A miniature blaster rested comfortably in the holster and it had the look of much use.

Mara's holdout blaster, perhaps???

?What was your mother?s name?? Luke asked a question to which he already knew the answer.
    ?Mara Jade,? the child replied and their eyes met with calm awareness on the boy's part.
    He knows!
    ?Ah?? Luke sat back and looked at his son.
    ?She said I should come to you if anything ever happened to her,? the child said in a tight, controlled voice. ?Well it did and I?m here.? The boy said it casually, as if it hadn?t touched him, but the caring was there in those grey eyes.

Wow!=D=

If you ever continue this, and I beg you to do just that, please PM me.[face_praying][face_praying][face_praying]

15. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    PonyTricks I'm sure they made sense...to her at least. :p

G__Anakin Sure will, and thanks for reading!

w-righter There is most definitely more! :D

star_writer24 He's ten... I'm going to have to figure out how old the twins were when he was born. [face_laugh]

palpyisgod2 Glad you like it and sure!

Knight_Aragorn There is more! :D

KELIA I think having a son will be just what Luke needed! ;)

ginchy It was just a weird little plot bunny that attacked when I wasn't looking. :eek:

Feng_Huang He was teetering. [face_worried]

Blue_but_beautiful Oh yeah, I've got plans. [face_mischief]

Layren Of course I'll add you. Even though it's in Beyond! The muse has been generous lately. If only she'd help me actually WRITE the stupid bunnies! :mad:

DancerPadme More to come!

Blue_Milkshake
    Glad you liked it! And yes, it was Mara's holdout blaster! [face_laugh]

[b]Chapter 2[/b]

Luke stood up, started to offer Anakin his hand and reconsidered. There was something almost brittle about the boy?s strength at the moment, and he would not be the one to break it. ?Come with me and we?ll find you a room of your own,? Luke said. He noticed the small, battered bag in the corner.

?Yours?? he asked, pointing.

?Yeah,? Anakin answered. ?I like to travel light.? There was a hint of defiance in the boy?s voice that made Luke want to smile. Wisely, he did not.

?Good,? Luke replied. ?So do I.?

The boy looked around the office, littered with small mementos presented to him by students or their parents.

?Yeah, I see that,? the boy said with a bit of irony.

[i]Oh you?re a lot like your mother, my boy,[/i] Luke thought. He tried to decide how he felt about that. It remained a puzzle to him so he set it aside. [i]Later.[/i]

?I?ve got quarters here too,? Luke offered as they left the office. He wanted the boy to know that he would be close by, though whether his son [i]wanted[/i] him close was another matter. ?So you?ll be seeing a lot of me.?

And he would be staying in them while Anakin adjusted to life here. Briefly, he had considered taking Anakin into his home and retreating from his duties as the leader of the Order. But it might be easier for Anakin to be comfortable if he wasn?t alone with his newly found father all day, every day. The presence of others would serve as a buffer between them. There would be other children here, children who were also far from everything familiar, everyone they loved.

Anakin shrugged. ?All right,? he answered as if it did not matter, but Luke detected the boy?s relief in the Force. No matter that he had had no formal training, his son was a powerful presence in the Force and Mara had obviously instructed him at some level.

As they walked down the hall, he noticed that Anakin looked neither right nor left, and ignored the curious stares of the other initiates and Padawans. A new arrival was nothing remarkable, but rarely were they so dirty or self-possessed.

Even using the Force, Luke knew that most of the students would be unable to deduce Anakin?s confusion and fear. He felt a moment of fierce pride that his son was so capable and then chided himself, for he had had nothing to do with it.

[i]And whose fault is that?[/i] he asked himself. [i]Enough. Just let it go. He?s here with you now. Make the best of it, for him. He?s the important one now.[/i]

Young Anakin glanced up at him as if sensing some of his thoughts and Luke forced himself to smile reassuringly at the boy. None of this was his fault, after all. ?I think you?ll find this comfortable,? Luke said as he keyed open the door.

Anakin walked into the room and looked around, his face carefully blank. ?It?ll do,? he finally murmured. He wasn?t going to give in easily, Luke mused. There was a lot of pride and determination behind those grey eyes.

Luke had to hide his smile because he could guess that the room was quite a bit bigger than an

16. G__Anakin

G__Anakin Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2006
    [face_laugh]

Great job!

I can just imagine what you can do with an OC child of Luke and Mara that acts like Mara. This is going to be fun!:D

17. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003

?It isn?t sealed or anything,? Anakin snorted. ?What? You think I?m gonna cart that thing halfway across the galaxy and not take a peek?? He rolled his eyes at Luke. ?You don?t know me very well, do you??

?I don?t know you at all,? Luke said softly. ?But I?d like to.?

Anakin blinked rapidly and Luke caught the faint sheen of tears, which were ruthlessly kept at bay. He watched as Anakin clenched his hands into fists so hard that he feared he would draw blood with his nails. ?I don?t know you either,? Anakin said. ?And I?m not real sure I want to. But it looks like I?m stuck with you,? he said. ?For the time being,? he added in a warning tone.

?I hope you?ll stay because you want to,? Luke answered, trying to reach beyond Anakin?s shields. He could have done it, but not as easily as might be expected and not without warning the boy of his intrusion, so he let it go.

?We?ll see,? Anakin answered carefully.

His mother's son indeed :p That he carried it around and read it.

Still so heartbreaking that Anakin's not sure if he wants to stay or not. :_|

18. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Luke keeps repeating "later." Well, I think later has finally arrived.

?You?ve read it?? Luke asked, not really surprised. Mara would have done the same thing. So would he, for that matter, especially at Anakin?s age.
    ?It isn?t sealed or anything,? Anakin snorted. ?What? You think I?m gonna cart that thing halfway across the galaxy and not take a peek?? He rolled his eyes at Luke. ?You don?t know me very well, do you??
    ?I don?t know you at all,? Luke said softly. ?But I?d like to.?

From [face_laugh] to :_| in the space of two seconds.

Wonderful update. Thanks for the PM.

I can't wait to hear that conversation with Leia.

19. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very nice, though awkward conversation between father and son. It gives me hope that in time, they will be able to get to know each other and have a normal father/son relationship.

I have a sneaky feeling Anakin will keep Luke on his toes. I loved his not being the slightest bit apologetic for peeking into Luke's thoughts.

Wonderful update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

20. Jedi_Scribe

Jedi_Scribe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2007
    *shakes head*

How do you come up with this stuff? Once again, I am very impressed.

As much as I like to see L/M together, it's easy to imagine that something like this could have happened. A completely credible AU plot, IMHO. I think that your characterization of Luke's reaction to Anakin under these circumstances is very plausible. Great work.

21. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, I didn't realize this one had been updated!

Anakin is very much his mother's son. And I think Leia is going to be very shocked, indeed! Great update!

22. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Great update! I love the way you're teasing out details slowly, keeping us guessing. And heh, yes, Luke, interesting will probably be the word for that call. *amused*

Looking forward to more. :D

23. w-righter

w-righter Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2007
    Very nice. And it is getting more interesting. =D=

24. Mara_Skywhiner

Mara_Skywhiner Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    This is very interesting and well done. Post soon? [face_praying] <- closest thing to a hopeful/begging face.
    Up!
    ~Mara

25. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    While stories with Mara dead are always a bit hard for me (thank you, Del Rey [face_frustrated] ), this is really fascinating, Kim. Luke's characterization feels dead on, and Anakin is so obviously part Luke, part Mara, and all himself. Great job with both of them. I can't wait to read the rest. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.