main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Two Sides of the Same Credit - Luke short story, AU - updated 7/8/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyKethry

LadyKethry Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2006
    Umm, Hi.

Been lurking on this one for a while, I really like this story and would love to have an update. I know you're busy with other stories, maybe this one can get some attention? Please? Please?[face_praying]

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Golden_Jedi He should have known. That's true. But I don't think it will come between father and son.

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Having briefly vanqished DRL, here is a post! :p

Jedi-2B It's a perfectly respectable holo! :D And Leia knows this, she's just having a hard time letting go. [face_whistling]

dianethx No it wasn't fair at all. :(

KELIA Han says, "HEY!" and lets you know he's insulted. [face_not_talking]

ginchy Definitely before VOTF timeframe.

Blue_Milkshake Guilt is a big part of grief, at least in some cases. Like his. :_|

Gabri_Jade Yes, Mara generally has a good reason for everything she does. [face_whistling]

JadeLotus Much harder, yes. :(

LadyKethry I'm slowly trying to get EVERYTHING updated. And it's this story's turn. [face_laugh]

[b]Chapter 10[/b]

[i]The past?[/i]

Mara stared at the test results the droid had given her and tried to assimilate the words it had spoken. ?I?m what?? She was not pleased when her voice squeaked. That indicated a weakness she was not supposed to possess. Nothing surprised her. Ever.

Until this.

This was pretty much a sucker punch to the gut.
    ?Pregnant,? the droid repeated and then tapped at the flimsy with the test results. ?As indicated by your HCG levels.?

?Thanks,? Mara said dryly. ?I got that much.?

?You asked-?

?Yeah, yeah,? she muttered, stuffing the flimsy into her pocket. ?Well this is just [i]great[/i]??

?Congratulations, madam,? the droid said politely.

?Never mind. Thanks.? She hopped to her feet, hoping the droid would interpret that as a sign that the visit was over.

It did.

?You may pay at the desk near the exit,? the droid told her, already moving toward the door.

Mara heard the door close but did not see it because her eyes were closed as she sank back down onto the table. Rubbing her eyes, she sighed deeply. ?Not good, Jade, not good.? She massaged her temples. ?Well now you?ve gone and done it??

Her stomach still felt a little queasy, but at least now, she knew it wasn?t due to a bad bit of rations. She had been so sure? Pregnancy had never even occurred to her. She had been careful, after all. [i]Really[/i] careful, and yet somehow?

She scowled, realizing that some of this had to be [i]his[/i] fault, too. It takes two, and Luke ?

[i]Enough. Stop. [/i]

Getting up, she shrugged off the stupid little paper gown that medics all over the galaxy seemed to favor and pulled on her own clothes. As she cinched her belt, she couldn?t help but wonder how long it would be before nothing she owned fit her anymore.

[i]If I decide to have this kid,[/i] she told herself. Odd, but it didn?t seem like such a tough decision at the moment. Putting her hand over her belly, Mara whispered, ?I hope you know what you?re getting yourself into, kid.?

Apparently, the decision had been made ? and all without her conscious cooperation. That was spooky. ?This could be interesting, kid.?

There was no answer in the Force, but now that she knew what to look for, she could sense another presence, a unique and yet somehow familiar signature in the Force. It was Luke?and Mara. Combined. Made one. A new life. Unexpected but real.

Shavit.

?How the hell am I gonna tell Luke about [i]this[/i]?? she muttered.

~~~~~~

Luke smiled when he saw his own Anakin and his sister?s youngest son with their heads pressed close together, whispering urgently. When the boys turned and Anakin saw his father, Luke noticed with a pang how his son?s expression grew contained and closed - wary.

?Hey Uncle Luke!? Solo called out and jumped up from his seat. He hugged Luke closely. ?Did you miss me?? he asked, his blue eyes alight with mischief.

?How could I help it?? Luke asked, ruffling his nephew?s hair. ?And what are you two up to??

?Nothing much,? Solo replied nonchalantly.

Anakin sat silently, his shoulders slightly hunched as if anticipating some sort of reprimand from Luke. ?I expect t

3. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    Awesome post! I really liked seeing Mara.

I'm glad Anakin is opening up to Solo. Since Solo has such a close bond with Luke, perhaps it will make it easier for Anakin. I hope so anyway. I love how Han is keeping Leia from interfering. Very amusing. Very good post!

I'm very glad you won out against DRL, and hope you have quite a bit of respite before he comes back for revenge.

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

4. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    I don't think Leia will hold off long from interfering. The two Anakins are getting along very well. I feel sorry for Luke. He wants to be close to his son, be father he never had, but Anakin has abandonment issues. It's so sad.

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked how Luke let Anakin S teach A J about dueling. It made it seem friendlier somehow and less threatening to Anakin J. I also liked how Han was able to pull Leia back from too much interference. It was sad, though, to see Mara. She didn't seem that upset at Luke. I wonder what made her not tell him about the baby.

Good job.

6. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    So Mara found out she was pregnant before she split with Luke? [face_thinking] I wonder what happened...

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Nope, Luke and Mara were already over when she found out. She found out after she left. That's all I can say for now... [face_whistling]

8. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    This is really good! :D It's a VERY different take and I like it. I can't wait until we find out exactly what was in that note and why Mara left him and then kept his son a secret.

9. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    ?I?m just tired of you telling me what I should and shouldn?t do,? Leia replied. ?He?s my brother.?
    ?And he?s my friend,? Han reminded her gently, putting his hand over hers.
    Leia looked up and met his eyes, giving him a genuine smile. ?All right, all right, point taken.?
    ?Your brother will thank you,? Han told her.
    ?He?d better,? she said with a sigh.
    ?And if he doesn?t, I?ll give him a swift kick in the butt,? Han promised.
    She batted her lashes at him. ?You know how to make a girl?s heart go all fluttery.?

Totally perfect H/L goodness!
    [face_laugh][face_love]

10. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    At last progress!!

I'm glad Luke took a step back and allowed his son and nephew to forge their bond. That had to be tough for him but I think it was definitely the right thing to do.

Small steps will get him closer to his son.

?Your brother will thank you,? Han told her.

?He?d better,? she said with a sigh.

?And if he doesn?t, I?ll give him a swift kick in the butt,? Han promised.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Now that's the Han I know and love

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

11. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Hot damn!

I love this story. You've captured Mara perfectly, even though she's not really here. It must be killing Luke to step back when all he wants to do is throw his arms around the boy and make it all better.:_|

If you do PM's, could I have one next time you update?

12. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    Great chapter - loved the glimpse into the past and Mara finding out she was pregnant...so it seems that she was planning to tell him in the beginning, I wonder what happened to change that...

13. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
  14. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Jedimaster_JainaSolo DRL is Palpatine in disguise. I'm sure of it. :p

RebelMom They've all got stuff to work out. But trust Han to come to the rescue! :D

dianethx Explanations for Mara's actions will be provided...eventually. [face_whistling] ;)

Golden_Jedi It would have been not long after they split up. At that point, she was going to go back and tell Luke. Then something happened. [face_devil]

Jaina_and_Jag It's a very weird plot bunny, I know. [face_laugh]

Blue_Milkshake They're a great couple, aren't they? :D

KELIA Yes, that's our Han! [face_love]

canadianjedimama So glad you liked it!! And of course I'll PM you. :p

JadeLotus Yes, she was planning to tell him. [face_whistling]

Tatooine_Ghost Thanks!

[b]Chapter 11[/b]

[i]The past?[/i]

Mara groaned as she wiped her mouth. With a shaky sigh, she leaned back against the wall. ?Morning sickness?sure?? she muttered. ?What the hell happened to the [i]morning[/i] part??

It was late evening, and she had been forced to leave the galley of her ship to rush toward the ?fresher. She had almost failed to make it in time. The nausea was debilitating when it struck, which was often without warning. One moment she would be sitting there feeling absolutely normal and the next she would be wondering if she was going to vomit up her lungs.

Feeling the nausea receding at last, she patted her abdomen. ?I sure hope you?re worth all this trouble, kid,? she whispered.

It was far too soon to feel movement, but she could feel the baby?s presence in the Force. He or she was a tiny spot of incredible warmth and innocence, and it still seemed impossible to Mara that this child was hers. Despite all her precautions, and ignoring all of her own carefully laid plans, she was going to be a mother. It seemed as if the decision had been made without actually making a decision.

For the first time in many years, she wondered about her own mother. Had she also felt this fiercely protective instinct? Had she wondered what sort of person her child would be? If she would be able to handle being a mother?

Mara?s mother, of course, had never had that opportunity.

Slowly, Mara got to her feet. Her knees still felt a bit wobbly but at least her stomach had ceased tumbling end over end. She wiped a hand across her fact, noting the fine sheen of sweat that had bathed her.

Then her stomach rumbled in hunger. In spite of her exhaustion, Mara laughed. That was the other thing that had surprised her ? the intense nausea was quite likely to be followed by ravenous hunger.

?Okay then,? she murmured. ?Let?s try this again.?

She made her way back to the galley, where she consumed enough to feed a Wookiee.

~~~~~~~~~

Han knocked on Luke?s door and peered inside after Luke called out, ?Come in!?

?Hey,? Han returned. ?Looks like fun,? he added dryly as he took in the piles of flimsies and the stacks of data pads scattered over Luke?s desk.

Luke grimaced. ?No one told me there was so much busy work to being a Jedi Master.?

?I think it has to do with running a school more than being a Jedi,? Han replied with a grin. ?Schools have a way of sucking the fun out of learning sometimes.?

Luke laughed and leaned back in his chair. ?I?ll have to agree with you there.? He paused and looked out the window. ?I remember being stuck in a classroom and looking out the window and wondering how I could make my escape.?

?I?ll bet,? Han answered. He had no such memories. His education had been sporadic at best until the Imperial Academy. Even then, he had struggled to keep up with his classmates. Only his own tenacity and quick mind had enabled him to succeed. Still, it had been a struggle.

For a moment, the two men were silent and then Luke looked back at Han, who was sprawled in the chair in front of the desk. ?So?what does Leia want?? he asked knowingly.

Han laughed. ?You know her too well,? he conceded.

?I know the look on your

15. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    He stopped, shaking his head. ?This is stupid,? he muttered and turned off the holo. ?I?m talking to a holo for stars? sake!?

Awww, poor kid! [:D]

16. Jedimaster_JainaSolo

Jedimaster_JainaSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2003
    Haha, I love the negotiating..and the banter of course. And I like Luke's solution. It's probably even for the best so that, even if Anakin is more comfortable with Luke, he won't be overwhelmed with four full weeks of one-on-one time with Luke. And it pacifies Leia. Anakin is so cute! That was bittersweet, with the holo. But I think that since he knows Luke still loves Mara...maybe it'll make it easier to accept him. Awesome post!

Didn't we already kill Palpatine...more than once? How does he keep haunting us?:p

[face_cowboy]Dana[face_cowboy]

17. Tatooine_Ghost

Tatooine_Ghost Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2006
  18. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    A very light flush stained Luke?s cheeks and Han shook his head. ?Still a farmboy,? Han muttered under his breath and with a mischievous gleam in his eyes..

?Well, that?s my sister you?re talking about,? Luke said. ?Never mind.? He shook his head. ?Moving on??

?Yeah, good idea,? Han replied. ?Anyway, I told her that it?s time we go home.?

Luke?s eyes narrowed as he studied Han intently. ?That?s funny??

?What?s funny??

?You don?t seem to be injured,? Luke answered with a grin. ?Either my sister?s gotten slower or you?re getting faster.?

?You?re a riot, kid.? Han rolled his eyes. ?Anyway, using my incredible powers of persuasion, I convinced Leia that we should go home.?

?But??

?What makes you think there?s a but?? Han asked, sounding slightly injured.

Luke just looked at him expectantly.

They stared at each other for a moment, neither willing to give in. Finally, Han heaved a sigh. ?Oh all right,? he conceded, ?there?s a but.?

?I thought so,? Luke replied with a dignified nod of his head that was at odds with his smirk.

?You wanna gloat or do you wanna listen??

?First gloating,? Luke said. ?Then listening.? He leaned back and closed his eyes, humming a tune under his breath with a pleased expression on his face. Then he sat up and smiled at Han. ?Gloating done.? He tilted his head. ?Now for the listening.?

[face_laugh] Too funny!! [face_laugh] I had to quote all this!:p
    Wonderful job!
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

19. Blue_Milkshake

Blue_Milkshake Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 18, 2005
    Yay, an update!!![face_dancing]
    Thanks for the PM.

Loved Han & Luke's talk.[face_laugh]

?He still loves you, Mom,? Anakin said. ?We don?t talk about it, but he does.? The boy sighed. ?I peeked,? he confessed. ?I know your rule about that, but I just had to know.?

Awww, he's curious about his father. This obviously implies that the kid wants to get to know him better.[:D] I bet it was pretty comforting for Anakin to find out that his parents loved each other.

20. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    ?He still loves you, Mom,? Anakin said. ?We don?t talk about it, but he does.?

I'm glad Anakin did peek. This should help things in the long run.

Good chapter!

21. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Very sweet, and realistic. I think Luke is becoming very close to Anakin now, and would be crushed if he lost him. I love the parallelism that both Anakin and Luke have a hidden holo of Mara that they turn to for consolation.

Lovely updates. =D=

22. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Great update! :D The peek into Mara's pregnancy was interesting.. now if only we knew why she left him! :p I loved the Luke/Han banter! [face_laugh] And poor Anakin! :( Missing his mom. :( I'm sure Luke could help him out... if he'd give him the chance....

23. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked that Luke was able to get Han to see his point. Plus they'll all have a vacation together. Hopefully by then Anakin will be able to let his guard down a bit.

I found this so sad.

?He still loves you, Mom,? Anakin said. ?We don?t talk about it, but he does.? The boy sighed. ?I peeked,? he confessed. ?I know your rule about that, but I just had to know.?

I'm sure Luke does.

Great job.

24. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awww...Anakin! [:D]

His talking to Mara via the holocube brought tears to my eyes but it was so very sweet

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

With all that's been going on, it's easy to forget he's also mourning his mother.

I loved Luke's negotiating skills, though I fear they wouldn't have gone quite as smoothly if he was talking to Leia instead of Han. :p

It's great the Solos and Anakin will get to spend all that time together.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

25. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    "You wanna gloat or do you wanna listen??

?First gloating,? Luke said. ?Then listening.?

Luke! :D [face_love]

?Yeah,? Han said. ?And he likes you, Luke. He just doesn?t want to.?

?His mother didn?t want to like me either,? Luke said sadly.

Luke! [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.