main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga **Two Sides of the Same JedCred - A Novella** - 5/27th - COMPLETED!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PulsarSkate, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earwen-Ancalime

Earwen-Ancalime Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Jessie, when you go fishing, do you like to hold up your catch and just stare at it while it is dangling on the hook? I ask this only because that's what your story has done to me. That fish that is hooked, is me.

*awaits next post since I can't get unhooked and wouldn't want to if I could*

2. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    [face_laugh] Yay, fishies!

*looks at Nat dangling from her hook*

3. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004

*tries not to move to much on the hook*

I don't want my squirming to drive the hook in farther, because your posts are doing a good enough job at that.

I like how Rolta keeps comparing Nia with Dinn and the difference in the way he treats the two sisters.

*wonders if Red Ten is okay*

4. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Thanks Nat! :)

But I don't think you'll like what's coming up in the next post...it'll be sad for sure. :( Hopefully it'll be up in the next couple of days.

5. Anakin_Padme4ever

Anakin_Padme4ever Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 29, 2002
    YAy! Another great chapter! Can't wait to see what happens next? :D

*is still on edge of her seat*

UP! :D

6. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Chapter Four - Part One

?Have you got those co-ordinates Ugly??
    ?Yeah, they?re just going into the navicomp now. Do we both jump from the same place??
    ?No, I?ll give you a 20 second window, then follow you. We?ve got to make sure no one tracks us. I?ll steer you through this last bit and make sure you make the jump okay?
    ?But ?? Dinn was cut off as another blast rocked her. She let out a stream of insults and frantically tried to steady herself. Her shields were failing fast and with the beserker pilot on her tail, she was giving herself slim to none chances of getting to the jump point.
    ?Ugly, you okay??
    ?Fine here Ten. How about you? Nice weather over there??
    ?Perfect. A bit of rain but nothing an umbrella wouldn?t fix.? His voice was jovial, even through the static that was trying to jam their comm. signals. ?You almost ready??
    Dinn glanced out at the x-wing flying beside her and frowned. He?d protected her so far, but there was no way to pay him back. ?I?d feel better if you were coming with me Ten.?
    ?You?ll be fine Ugly, just make contact with the base and tell them that Red Squ?destroyed?suppl?ips?mperial Sta?ambush. Ugl?amming us?keep?ving to?th?ump point? her comm died with a hiss.
    ?Ten?? she asked tentatively, looking out at her companion. ?Ten?! Do you read me?? she asked, the panic in her voice rising. Red Ten swung his fighter out in an arc that took him out of her view. For a few moments, it was all Dinn could do to keep juking around. A crackle of static burst through her comm. on a different channel;
    ??You?ll be okay Ugly. Just keep singing??
    An explosion shook the ship, throwing it to starboard with its shock wave and pinning Dinn under the stick. She shoved it away as the last of her shields faded and punched the control for lightspeed.

?It isn?t going to be easy you know.?
    ?How do you mean?? Nia asked, watching Rolta pace around his office.
    ?Well, lets see. Your sister is now on a warrant for arrest list, yes? Your father, Arlin Tsalisz no less, has sent Horn and Wessiri after her and you, a CorSec officer who has been effectively grounded, asks why it won?t be easy?? Rolta?s sarcastic response cut into Nia, sparking her defences.
    ?Hey, how about you be helpful for once, instead of just speculating?? Nia snapped.
    ?How about you get out of my workshop and out of my life?? Rolta retaliated, his voice reaching an angry roar.
    ?How about you both calm the kriff down?? The girl leaning in the doorway grinned at Rolta and Nia. ?I could hear your lover?s tiff from three blocks away!?
    ?Oh well I?m sorry, Miss Talos, to interrupt your whatever-it-is you do around here.? Rolta growled and threw up his hands in a gesture of defeat and exasperation. ?My day is being ruined by frelling women!?
    Nia glared at Rolta, before turning to the Talos girl, who had already plonked herself down on an ejection seat.
    ?So what?s the drama Rolta?? the girl asked.
    ?Why don?t you ask CorSec here, I?m sure she?ll tell you all about it.? There was a pouting tone to his voice.
    ?Who are you?? Nia asked, watching as the girl?s expression soured slightly at the word CorSec.
    ?Gauri Talos, I?m a friend of your sister.? This comment was accompanied with a grin.
    ?Is everyone a friend of Dinn?s??
    ?Depends how much money she owes you.? Gauri laughed as she thumped her feet up onto Rolta?s desk. ?Now, what is this all about? I don?t remember you saying you like to entertain CorSec women, Rolta.?
    ?Hey, she barged in here, demanding to know where Dinn has got to. I did not invite her in.? He trailed off into a mumbling ramble.
    ?Is it just me or is everyone trying to find that idiot girl?? Gauri rolled her eyes.

Red Ten could feel the cold of space creeping into his flight suit, but his mind was boiling with frustration. As he floated helplessly through the debris that had once been part of the Alliance fleet, his thoughts cleared and he was able to make peace with himself. Mentally saluting the patch of space where he?d seen the Ugly disappear into hyperspace, he closed his

7. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Wow......Jess that is great! you can feel the drama...and then the cold of space at the end..shivers

8. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    [face_blush] Thanks Boss!

9. Anakin_Padme4ever

Jan 29, 2002
    Woohoo! Great post Jessie-chu! :D

10. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, I know its been a long time coming, but sometimes Darth RL gets in the way of a story :p

Thank you Jason, Sel, Nat and Gauri-chu for your comments from ages ago! Hope you like this next installment. I'm writing like mad at the moment, thanks to the fact that I know have a home computer! (Thanks Chris for the nudge that motivated me to get one! ;) ) So hopefuly, in the next two weeks, I'll be able to put finish this story!

But until then, here it is, the second part of Chapter 4!

The first few hours in to her hyperspace escape from the battle had been restless. Dinn knew, somehow, that behind her, Red Ten was gone. The cold dread that it was her fault had driven her to the brink of hysterics.
    Once the adrenalin and pain had worn off, she had drifted into a fitful sleep. Dreams filled with the howls of twin ion engines, burning pilots and comm. static spun in her head like a black hole. Every few hours, she?d wake up in a sweat, reaching madly for the trigger, only to see the sobering brightness of white spiralling stars.
    Her nightmares subsided after the fourth frantic jump change, to be replaced with the sleep of the exhausted.

?There?s a good reason why Dinn?s gone you know.?
    ?Shut it, Gauri.? Rolta gave the girl a pointed look.
    Gauri?s expression hardened a moment, and coldness crept into her eyes. She blinked once, and the chill was gone. ?I think we can trust Nia.?
    ?But she?s CorSec.? Rolta said, a hint of a sulk in his voice.
    ?And you?re the scum that aided and abetted my fugitive sister.? Nia?s voice was sharper than a blade. ?I don?t trust you any more than you trust me.?
    Nia?s R2 unit whistled low in the following silence, the signal that her favourite Imperial liaison was in the neighbourhood. Nearly all new recruits had programmed a Loor warning system into their droids, yet the Imp never seemed to notice.
    As she made her way to the door, Nia gestured for Gauri and Rolta to get out as fast as they could. She watched them disappear behind a stack of ejection seats, then made her way out onto the street.
    ?Now what would a grounded desk jockey like yourself be doing at a snubfighter mechanics, Officer Tsalisz?? Loor asked in an oily voice, looking down his nose at her.

Nia drew in a deep breath and tried to channel her sister?s personality again. ?Well, sir, Dinn had large debts that need to be cleared. My mother wanted it done you know, to keep the family name from getting deeper into the mud that Dinn dragged us in to.? She ended her longwinded excuse with a coy smile, one she knew always worked on her father. The sneer that gripped Loor?s face told her it wasn?t working.
    ?I see,? the Imperial let out a disappointed sigh. ?I had hoped better from Arlin Tsalisz?s offspring, but I guess that pesky Corellian Criminal gene must streak through your family, the way it does so many others ??
    The blue flash that cut off Loor?s lecture left sunspots so bright on Nia?s retina, that by the time she?d stopped blinking; Gauri and Rolta had managed to drag her into the bustle of Treasure Ship Row.
    ?Where are we going??
    ?Somewhere we can talk.? Gauri hissed, turning down another small street.
    ?Corellian Criminal Gene? I wonder if there?s an Imperial Sithspawn gene?? Rolta grumbled from behind her.
    ?In here.? Gauri pointed with her blaster to a small portal that looked more like an escape pod hatch that the entrance to a cantina. ?Head to the furthest booth. I?m going to double back and see if that stun bolt has worn off. Be back in a moment.?

Nia stumbled into the cool smoky room and slunk past the inebriated spacers to the brown cushioned booth. Rolta shuffled into the spot beside her and laid his blaster across his lap.
    ?I knew you?d be trouble the minute you walked into my shop CorSec.? He grumbled.
    That comment pretty much broke Nia?s thin patience.
    ?What are we in, a holodrama? Well, I?m not playing the femme fatale you Face Loran wannabe, so quit your whining and tell me what?s going on!?
    The mechanic star

11. RogueTech

RogueTech Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2003
    Oh man! Loor got stunned :D YAY! And poor Red Ten :( but then no one survived Derra that went there on purpose.

This thing is taking more twists that the backroad to Mount Ranier! Keep going, Jessie! It's great!

12. sOtDaDlOkNeEr

sOtDaDlOkNeEr Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2004
    *claps* another wonderful post Jessie! Keep it up! I love reading it!!! *pulls up a chair looking forward to more*

13. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    This is good, Jessie! More?

14. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Yes, there will be more!

Thank you everyone who replied, I'll do some detailed thanks you soon. There will be more in the next few days, hoepfully! *crosses her fingers*

15. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003

Looks like I'll be posting things in halves for a while, but only because of my limited time and the fact that I want to keep everyone updated! :p

Enjoy the first part of Chapter 5!

Chapter Five

The proximity alarm seemed like the voice of a well-known enemy to Dinn. As she reverted to realspace, its annoying buzz still ricocheted around in her skull. She was at the edge of the Hoth system now, her scanners picking up the sixth planet like it was a beacon behind its shield of asteroids.

?I hope no one expects me to fly through that.? She said to herself, bringing the Ugly around. ?Only a fool would try to fly through an asteroid field!?
    The last coordinates of the data Red Ten had sent her were simply for the planet Hoth. There was no indication why she should be going there, and in the blank loneliness that surrounded her, Dinn felt small and lost. She tried in vain to picture Red Ten?s voice, to imagine what he looked like, hoping that the very act of calling him up from memory would make his x-wing appear beside her. But in the dark corner of her mind, she knew he wasn?t coming. The hysterics threatened to envelop her again, hot tears sprang to her eyes but the fighter in her took over, pushing all of her emotions out of the way.

?I need to calm down and fly straight.? She muttered, heading towards the asteroid field. ?Maybe I am fool enough to tackle this. Or at least, a bit of target practice won?t go astray.?

Gauri plopped herself down facing Nia and Rolta.
    ?Well lovebirds, it seems that your friend the Imp has been taken care of.? She said with a smile. Rolta?s only answer was to snort, but Nia sat up in alarm.
    ?He?s dead??
    ?You?re worried? The vratix pulled him off the street and into Rolta?s shop so no patrols would find him. He?s lying there, stunned as a drunk in a pool of fuel.?

Nia shifted uneasily, pushing her hair back from her face. ?As long as there?s no way I can be implemented in your attack on an Imperial officer, I don?t mind where he is.?
    ?Uh, what?? Gauri cocked her head to the side and narrowed her eyes. ?Are you suggesting that you?re not a part of this??
    ?I?m a CorSec officer, I don?t deal with?with?what ever you two are.? Nia went to stand, locking stares with the girl. ?I?m sorry, I really appreciate your not really helping and all, but-?
    ?But nothing.? Gauri interrupted, nudging the muzzle of her blaster into Nia?s leg. ?You?re a part of this now, whether you like it or not. I think you?re trustworthy, and that you?re a decent person ? you showed that back at the shop. But why the sudden turn around??

?A few minutes ago, you were Dinn?s sister, now you?re back to being a stuckup little CorSec princess.? Rolta growled.
    ?I am not spoilt! I just remembered what side of the law I?m meant to be on. I?m not going to arrest you, if that?s what you think.?
    ?I don?t know what to think.? Gauri sighed. ?But you?re not going anywhere. You do realise that as soon as your Imp buddy wakes up, he?ll accuse you of attacking him, right??
    ?But I didn?t pull the trigger! I was just standing there, and there was this flash and-?
    ?Let me ask you something CorSec,? Rolta leaned forward. ?When you interview people you suspect of being league with the Rebellion, do you ever believe them when they say ?I didn?t pull the trigger???

Nia opened her mouth to retort, but closed it again as uncertainty took over. Only last week she?d been sitting in with Iella on an interview with a Rebel spy Loor had picked up in a raid. The boy had looked about 15 years old, and was wearing the kind of clothes you?d usually associate with freighter?s children ? bad hand-me-downs and caps that, when lowered, covered up most of the face. He was scared out of his mind and willing to tell them everything that had happened ? all of which seemed to revolve around him taking flowers from someone?s garden for his girlfriend. None of it had anything to do with the Rebel bombing of a supply ship, but Loor wasn?t convi

16. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Shamefully upping my own thread, becasue no one has read it yet :(

17. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    I didn't know you'd posted something, Jessie! I love how you are putting everything together in this neat little fic. I love it through and through. Is it also your backstory for the RP?

18. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    *hugs Laine* :D

Yay! A reader! I promise next time I'll tell you when I've posted something new :p

Thank you very muchly for the compliments Laine, I'm glad you like how things are going. It is a bit of the backstory for the RP, one of many little stories rolling around in my head. Mayeb one day I'll get them all out of there ;)

Again, thanks for reading!

19. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    *claps* You know Jessie, you really should inform me when you put up a new post. This is great! I only which I had found it before now so I wouldn't be distracting myself from these papers. You are a terrific writer and I can't wait for more!

20. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Well, here it is, the conclusion to "Two Sides of the Same JedCred". I would like to thank all of my lovely readers, Sel, Natalie, Laine, Keeper_of_Swords, Gauri-chu, mjsullivan, Acks, Rhonda, Myst, RosyRedFinguredDawn, Jason, Deto and anyone else who read and lurked for the encouragment and comments. I appreciated all of it very much and thank you from the bottom of my heart :) [:D]

And now, on to the final chapter!
    _____________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Six

Juke blatted nervously.
    ?Just do it Juke, I don?t have time for this.?
    The R2 unit swivelled its head, and whined in a droid approximation of ?No?.
    ?When did you become so stubborn? You know you?re the only way I get the message through. Anything I try to send through the usual channels won?t get to Dad and I can?t leave something for Mother to find?it?ll break her heart. Just activate your recording system and do this one last thing for me.? Nia pleaded, tears springing to her eyes as she though of what she had to say.
    A low moan issued from her astromech, followed by three quick blips that signalled the readiness of the recorder.
    Nia took a deep breath, stood tall and wiped quickly at her face with the sleeve of her borrowed clothing.
    ?Okay Juke, begin recording??

?Echo base, this is Rogue 10 on Patrol flight 3.?
    ?This is Echo Base, go ahead Tarrin.?
    ?Base, I?ve got an Ugly out here in the asteroid field, heading towards us at a pretty low sublight speed. They aren?t hailing on the usual channels, and they seem to be testing their lazers out on some of the rocks?what do you advise?? Tarrin Datch asked, doing a brief visual scan on the Ugly that approached him and his wing mate Tenk. Echo Base had only been established two standard days ago, but already things were going wrong. Tarrin?s rumbling belly reminded him of one of the more urgent problems ? lack of food. The convoy that had set out ahead of the main fighter groups hadn?t arrived, and it was carrying a lot of the support staff and supplies. His attention was back on the Ugly as it did some crazy loops through the constantly moving storm of floating rock.
    ?Echo Base here Rogue Ten, do not engage the Ugly. Try and hail it on all frequencies. We?re guessing it?s a pirate, he?s probably just lost. If he starts using you for target pratice instead of rocks, feel free to take him down.?
    ?Acknowledged Base, Ten out.? Tarrin flicked back to the close range frequency he shared with his wingmate. ?What do you reckon Tenk? Do we engage??
    ?Let?s give him one more chance Tar. He?s obviously a pretty good pilot, even if he flying a pile of tauntaun waste. Try and get in closer and scan all channels, including all the old tactical frequencies. I?ll cover you.?
    ?Copy that Eleven.?

Grim determination held Dinn?s face in a pale imitation of anger.
    ?My old man?s a pirate?? she sang loudly, pulling on the yoke and firing her lasers as she curled up over another large rock. ?He lets me count his creds..?
    A small cloud of pebbles bounced off the HoldOutSix momentarily obscuring Dinn?s view as she dove under a spinning boulder.
    ?If CorSec lays a hand on me, you know that they?ll be dead!? Dinn sang to keep away the tears that were again threatening to spill down her cheeks. Red Ten?s voice ? Just keep Singing?
    haunted her. It was almost as if she was singing a dirty requiem for him, the comm. frequency they?d shared days ago in the midst of battle broadcasting her scratchy voice out in the coldness of space.
    Hauling on the yoke, Dinn took a deep shuddering breath and targeted a midsized asteroid that was hurtling her way. Her finger rested lightly for a moment on the trigger, her eyes focusing on the pitted rock, she nearly dashed herself against its hulk as the comm. channel sputtered with static.
    ?Unidentified Ugly, this is Rogue Ten, do you copy??
    ?Ten?? Dinn?s voice cracked as she spoke, not quite comprehending. ?Ten? You?re alive??
    ?Ugly, this is Rogue Ten of the Rebel Alliance. We ha

21. Laine_Snowtrekker

Jul 8, 2003
    Great ending! I loved this little fic--I do feel bad that Red 10 died though, and that Nia had to leave because Loor got stunned. But all that ends well ends well, I think. Is there any more adventures of Dinn and Nia in the works?

22. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    =D=

Very nice Jessie!!! I do hope we here more about Dinn and Nia and Gauri in the future! I really liked the way you ended this one. *hugs* Congrats on finishing a wonderful story!!!

23. ShasaWaterwalker

ShasaWaterwalker Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Stands up and starts to clap wildly! =D=

=D=

=D=

=D=

This is a really great story Dinn. YAY!

Congradulations!

24. Detonating-Rabbit

Detonating-Rabbit Jedi Knight star 5

May 23, 2003
    Hey, very nice, Jessie :D
    I love your style; you write beautifully, I think :) Keep up the good work. :)

25. Anakin_Padme4ever

Jan 29, 2002
    Wow! Awesome story and ending, Jessie-chu! That was all too great! :D

And I noticed you even put Stajan into the story, eh? ;)

Well done, Jessie-chu! :D [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.