main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Two totally different takes on Hayden

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by _dArTh_SoLo, Oct 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    Now, just for the record, I think Hayden is so AWESOME and I'm like one of his biggest fans...

From DVD Town.com
    To illustrate, the main character in "The Attack of the Clones" is the young Anakin Skywalker, presently in his late teens and soon to become the most hated man in the universe. Now, LUKE Skywalker we could identify with and root for. But how can you take a liking to a guy whom you know before long will turn into a monster, not just destroying armies or countries but entire planets? More damaging, how can you like a character when he's played by so awkward and wooden an actor as Hayden Christensen? Just listening to him talk is sometimes painful, and the character he plays seems more of a spoiled, whiny, sometimes recalcitrant child than a maturing Jedi Knight.

From CHUD.com

But while Attack of The Clones contains its fair share of gaffes and problems, it is unfairly nitpicked to death by some. Allow me to comment on some of the more common criticisms of this film with rational explainations:

Hayden. Personally, I think the guy is quite good and did a swell job here. I'm just amused how people are jumping on him and many of them are the same people who worship The Matrix, which contains Keanu Reeves... possibly the worst actor of all. More than a bit hypocritical. But I can come to his defense without throwing that easy ammo back in people's faces. Anakin's character in Clones is that of an impetuous 20 year old. He's designed to whine and he's supposed to make you want to slap the hell out of him at times. I keep seeing comments like "stitled acting" and "high school quality acting" without definition of exactly what it is about his performance that is worthy of such bitter scorn. I found myself buying into his character very early on. His delivery of the line "... Investigation is implied in our mandate" is spot-on. And he deals with the tortures within quite well. I like the way he handles the death of his mother. You can literally see hate swelling within him, and his eyes and veins bulging with rage (which... gasp!... I don't believe was CGI). And, the confession scene... this is the first time we've seen signs of Darth Vader in the prequels. For the first time since Jedi I felt a pure sense of dread while watching one of these films. And I attribute that to Hayden. He is the character. Those who are blasting his acting are in fact actually showing their disgust for Anakin, not Hayden. Because, if you don't understand why he's good for the role then you will probably never appreciate it. Besides, after seeing him in other works you should know the kid can act and does have range. He's just playing the character the way it was meant to be played. Again, if only he was in Menace and got a chance to be the likeable, happy, go-lucky kid. Instead, he gets introduced to us by playing the impassioned, snotty, impetuous and cocky brat. And people hate him for it. Guess what? That means it works...

I hate the Hayden bashers. I don't know why so many people say he did such a horrible job, I mean the confession scene was amazing. All of my friends say "It wasn't convincing".

That guy from CHUD.com hit it right on the dot I think...

2. _dArTh_SoLo

Mar 11, 2002
    I also want to say this for the record:

I really don't think that the acting in the Star Wars movies is that bad (with exception to parts of TPM for odvious reasons). It's REALISTIC, and isn't that what actors everywhere across the world strive for, reality? I mean I don't get it.

Critics suck, nuff said. George says so himself, critics don't know CRAP about film.

I'll find a direct quote later.

3. MaxPayne

MaxPayne Jedi Master star 2

Oct 15, 2002
    I think Hayden did a good job in portaying Anakin too. Never had a problem with him.

4. AnakinSlave

AnakinSlave Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 16, 2002
  5. THE ELECTRIC MAYHEM

THE ELECTRIC MAYHEM Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 1999
    Hayden's performance as Anakin in AOTC is one the best performances given in a STAR WARS film yet!!!

The only one who did a better job in any of the films was Christopher Lee!

TEETH OUT
    :D

6. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Hayden was awesome in Anakin. You could see that he portrayed someone we are all gonna hate very soon with a deep passion and was impressive. Once again, the critics are just out to bash at first sight and never look at the product. He did well in all his parts...the love pledge, the confession and the picnic scene, the first meeting with Padme on Courscant.

7. Obi-Wan2001

Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 6, 2001
    Hayden really gave it his all. Unlike Natalie, Hayden's really into it, and knows how important his character is. I think he did a really good job, but he got a mixed reception, at best, from the general public.

8. bjbrickm

bjbrickm Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2002
    I think both Hayden and Jake have portrayed their roles of Anakin well.

Some people don't like the yipees and such from Jake as young Anakin, but that is part of Anakin's character whether you like it or not. And Jake did a great job of portraying young Anakin as a kid.

Again, Hayden is playing his part. Anakin isn't supposed to be a charming rogue like Solo, or a meek idealistic youth like Luke. Anakin is idealistic in ways yes, but not meek like Luke. He's the opposite, overconfident and eager to show off his powers.

Both have done a fantastic job and have given me reason to really like the character of Anakin. I mean I know he's Darth Vader after Episode III, but I always know that under that black suit and mask, shoved in a deep dark corner is none other than Anakin himself.

And it takes Luke to bring that back.

9. _dArTh_SoLo

Mar 11, 2002
    Jake was OK as Young Anakin, but he was like what 8 when he was playing anakin? Kind of hard to get consistency with an 8 yr old kid ya know.

10. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    The Hayden-bashers can bite me. :mad: Hayden did a better job of portraying Anakin than anyone could ever do. He's an awesome actor. His high school teachers, just seeing him in school plays, referred to him as "the next James Dean". And the confession scene is the only scene in all five SW films released so far, other than the "I am your father" scene and Darth Vader throwing the Emperor down the shaft, that put tears in my eyes and made my jaw hit the floor at the same time.

And yes, Anakin was supposed to be whiny. He was supposed to make you want to slap the living **** out of him sometimes. If Hayden didn't pull that off, he wouldn't have been doing his job. And as far as "wooden" dialogue--hel-lo? It's Star Wars. It's not known for it's stellar dialogue. It's not like Hayden wrote the lines, or had a whole lot of choice in how to carry them out. From what I understand, George is a very hands-on director. He wants lines read and scenes done his way--he doesn't give the actors much latitude. He and Hayden argued over when Hayden was going to start crying during the confession scene, and ended up having to compromise after much discussion--and it was amazing that George gave Hayden an inch there.

As far as Jake--he was eight years old. Hayden said it best--"No one would have given him such a hard time at that age if he were in a school play. Critics were unfair to him."

11. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
  12. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Agreed. If Hayden had portrayed Anakin as a likeable, nice guy, people would have been complaining about that, too. Some people are just obviously never satisfied.

With peoples complaints about stilted dialouge, I always thought that Hayden was not having a difficult time portraying Anakin, but Anakin was having a difficult time portraying a Jedi. IMO, of course.

13. Vonn

Vonn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    The DVD Town review also said that The Fifth Element SuperBit DVD looked better, even though practically EVERY other DVD site has said the picture quality of AOTC is the best DVD to date.

So, I would say that the DVD Town review counts for nothing.

14. OutlawYoda

OutlawYoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    he gave one helluva performance in my opinion.. Natalie could've done better though

15. JBFett

JBFett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    anakin-girl is spot on.

After studying film in University, learning its intricate nature, I have discovered that 95 percent of critics have no clue about film making. They don't even use proper terminology when analyzing it.

I should write an article bashing every critic in the history of film.

16. darthnuisance

darthnuisance Jedi Master star 3

Jun 29, 2002
    I think that Hayden was absolutely FANTASTIC. Hats off to Robin Gurland and the casting department on getting the right guy for the job. He was just as I'd imagined him after watching TPM and hearing that Episode II would take place ten years later. Anger, rage, and pain were all there. As well as loyalty, love, and even teenage angst. Hayden is a great Anakin and I'm glad that he will be what people think of when they see Vader from now on.

17. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Thanks, JB-Fett. And I love your sig. :D

The only thing that makes me madder than professional critics trashing a film or an actor when they don't have a clue what they're talking about, is when "fans" on a messageboard, who know even less, do the same thing--and for dumb reasons.

18. OutlawYoda

OutlawYoda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2002
    "I should write an article bashing every critic in the history of film. "
    sounds good. :D
    But yes, I hate critics with all my heart.
    I do read their articles to get things from another point of view, but overall they really make me mad because they tend to over analyze everything. Sometimes I wish i could go see a movie without hearing one review so I could go in not knowing what to expect.. thats what I believe is killing movies nowadays, IMHO. We either are expecting too much or too less. I want to go in without hearing some whiny bitch complain about the movie.. or a 100% perfect review saying how perfect it is and you see it and its not that good at all.. *sigh*

19. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    Great post JBFETT. I thought HC did a great job playing Anakin Skywalker. I really couldn't imagine anyone else in the role at this point. The confession scene, which is carried by HC, is a SW classic.

20. DarthMandarb

DarthMandarb Jedi Master star 2

May 29, 2002
    I think what all critics NEED to realize is that GL was ultimately in charge of who played the role of Anakin in AotC. It's not like he said "I don't know ... just pick one." Hayden earned that role.

GL picked the one kid (out of thousands) who could play the role he wrote. Hayden's acting was great in my opinion. Especially the 'Shmi death-scene' when I swear I could see the black mask on his head!

If critics didn't like his acting they should direct their scorn on GL because Hayden nailed the role the way GL wanted it.

Just my opinion.

d.m.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And the one thing that every critic seems to have missed:

The OT was a swashbuckler series. The PT is not. The acting style in the PT harkins back to the first half of the century. Look at the way the lines are delivered in The Wizard Of Oz, War Of The Worlds, and Lawrence Of Arabia. Then compare it to the PT so far, its the same.

22. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    Hayden portrayed Anakin superbly, he is a very talented actor, that reviewer doesn't knwo what s/he is talking about, no way is Keanu Reeves a bad actor either.

23. Jedilisa

Jedilisa Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 27, 2002
    I agree. Hayden did a fantastic job portraying Anakin. The fireplace scene was breathtaking..he was/is convincing. Anakin was supposed to act like a child/adolescent,we have to remember he is only 19 yrs. old and still a little boy,a boy who grew up basicly without his mom,who he missed terribly. Hayden portrayed that and more. The critics don't know S@#$.Nobody else could have done it better. The critics need to stop bashing him (and others..you know who you are)...He is and will always be Anakin Skywalker..And that is it.

24. Bookedout

Bookedout Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    "The OT was a swashbuckler series. The PT is not. The acting style in the PT harkins back to the first half of the century. Look at the way the lines are delivered in The Wizard Of Oz, War Of The Worlds, and Lawrence Of Arabia. Then compare it to the PT so far, its the same. "

Great point, VadersLament, and you're right, the critics and the movie going public at large have, for the most part, missed it. I do believe, however, that word is getting out and the public is beginning to disregard the critics and take another look. AOTC would have never made it past $300M otherwise. Once the entire saga is complete and people have a chance to see it all unfold, Lucas and Hayden, as well as the Prequel films, will get the praise and attention they deserve.

Edit: Spelling

25. LightBird51

LightBird51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Those of us who know what a good actor Hayden Christensen is want everyone else to believe it and we want them to believe it NOW....but that's not going to happen. Little by little, as he makes more movies, people will begin to recognize his talent and we won't have to be on forums like this, defending him on a regular basis. Hayden portrayed Anakin just as George wanted him portrayed, so if people have a problem with that then their problem isn't with Hayden, their problem is with Anakin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.