main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Two trilogies already in the works?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Mystery Roach, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I've brought this up in other threads, but I thought maybe it deserved one of its own.

Upon the announcement of the Disney acquisition, Lucas said in the video with Bob Iger, "We've got a plan for seven, eight and nine... which are the end of the trilogy." I take that as a pretty definitive statement that the ST will close out the "trilogy of trilogies" that he's apparently had in mind for a very long time. But in the first video with Kathleen Kennedy, he also says "I have story treatments of seven, eight and nine, and a bunch of other movies." So what are these other movies for which he already has story treatments?

When Kasdan and Kinberg were announced by The Hollywood Reporter to be writing Star Wars movies, it was first reported that they would be involved with Episodes VIII and IX, however a week later THR reported that they may not be working on those films after all, and that they were writing separate projects that "could turn into official 'Episodes' in the main Skywalker storyline, or they could form the basis for spinoffs focusing on side characters."

In 2009, MarketSaw accurately stated with great confidence that a Sequel Trilogy was in the works. Soon after that report was confirmed this year, they posted a follow-up with more details about the Sequel Trilogy. In light of all the evidence, I think this report might very well be worth taking seriously. Here is a sample:

There are two trilogies planned, all following an original overview by Lucas, which was always planned as a multi generational saga. Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker. This is something that I understand is being discussed as the latest trilogy may end up being an amalgamation of the two using themes and ideas from both, but still keeping the general story, also allowing for continuity of cast.

From everything we know, it seems very likely that this second trilogy is what Kasdan and Kinberg are in fact writing now. So what I think is that there is a good chance that both of these trilogies are from Lucas's original treatments (however you want to define that), and he's currently involved in the early planning for two trilogies instead of just one. Now I don't think this negates his statement that VII-IX are the "end of the trilogy [of trilogies]". The way I see it, you have I-IX, which tells a singular story that has a beginning (PT), a middle (OT), and an end (ST). When taken together, you could almost think of these nine Episodes as one big movie. Then you have X-XII, which could be thought of as a sequel to that movie, and possibly even a jumping off point for wherever Star Wars goes next.

Passing the torch indeed...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    These other movie story treatments (the side character spin-offs) could be expanded ideas for that abandoned TV series which was supposed to take place between the trilogies. Maybe Disney might want to change the format release into direct-to-DVD releases. They've done that with some of their other properties (like two sequels for Cinderella). Another sequel trilogy might head in that same direction, or air on TV before being released on DVD.

Yodahasgreenfeet likes this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I think Disney has been getting out of the business of direct-to-DVD sequels (which are never up to par anyway), and it's probably way too soon for them to be thinking about relegating Star Wars movies to non-theatrical formats, when they already have plenty of other opportunities for television products to exploit. They seem committed to releasing new movies in the theater for as long as they can, so it makes sense to me that they would already be thinking about a bigger picture than just the ST.

TreborSabreon and Echo-07 like this.
  4. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    It all depends on the success of the Sequel Trilogy. If those do well, then the next sequels would definitely be released in theatres. If not, then nothing will be released after the ST unless they decide to go with another format to fufill contractual obligations/satisfy fan demand and collect more money.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I really doubt that. They're going to need to keep pushing the theatrical releases in order to recoup the money they spent on acquiring Lucasfilm. While there may be a chance the ST will underperform, Star Wars is a juggernaut and virtually a guaranteed moneymaker. And even if one were to bomb (which is very unlikely), their first strategy will probably be to rethink their marketing for the next one, but they aren't going to want to cheapen the brand by releasing lower-budget direct-to-DVD movies, and there isn't enough money in that market to justify their purchase anyway. When they bought Star Wars, they were banking on a plan of continued theatrical releases, and there isn't anything they can do about that now except to make the best movies they can and let the brand take care of the rest.

Echo-07 likes this.
  6. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    They'll make their money off the investment. It doesn't mean there are definitely six more films in the works. I'm going to say it's three for definite, another three in theory, other side projects related to the upcoming Sequel Trilogy most likely.

7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not saying they're going to produce them all at once, but they are almost definitely in the process of developing more than three films, as evidenced by the THR report about Kasdan and Kinberg's involvement, and in Iger's remarks for analysts regarding the acquisition he specifically said:

"In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years"

There's really no question about this.

Echo-07 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  8. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Plans can change based upon anything from market demand to new executives put in charge at Disney. Remember that this upcoming trilogy was supposed to be filmed about ten years ago. The only certainty so far is the next three movies.

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Do you really think the market demand for Star Wars is going anywhere? Disney wouldn't have bought it if they weren't confident that it wasn't.

Echo-07 likes this.
  10. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Honestly, I won't expect anything definitive from these movies anymore. I'm one of those old timey fans who thought all the movies would have been done years ago. Then I went along with the understanding that six movies were all we were going to see. Now the next three episodes are going to be filmed? Who can expect ANYTHING at this point?

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    So the timeline got shifted a bit while Lucas waited for the tech to catch up to his vision. Besides that, everything is pretty much playing out the way he said it would, barring the period when he claimed it wouldn't.

And I never said six movies were definitely in the works. I just presented a case for why I think they might be. This is a speculation thread after all. ;)

12. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    So we can speculate on a Star Wars/Smurfs crossover? ;)

kataja and Yodahasgreenfeet like this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yep. As soon as Disney buys Hanna-Barbera :p

kataja and Yodahasgreenfeet like this.
  14. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Luke felt that Leia was his sister, but what if Yoda & Kenobi lied about that? What if Leia is not Luke's sister and what if Luke has another sister that is later revealed or what if Luke has another sister or what if the force produces a female Anakin Skywalker protagonist for the next six films, so we can see what a female protagonist version of Anakin Skywalker will deal with things differently in the next six films than the male Anakin Skywalker did in the first six films?

15. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    My thoughts on this are initially that I agree with MR -- I think they are working on another trilogy with Kasdan and Kinberg. I take Lucas to mean by "end of the trilogy" as "trilogy of trilogies" from his direct treatments. As we all know the intentions of the ST is to "pass the torch" as Lucas puts it, "To pass on what you have learned." Mostly this is directly targeted at Luke and the Jedi. Well, there's no reason for a passing of the torch if the characters are only going to exist in one, last, final trilogy. In essence the Big 3 heroes could appear in all 3 films and they could tie a bow on, wrap it up, and everyone lives happily ever after. BUT "passing the torch" implies inherently that there is a continuation. So, I believe we will see a continuation of the series after 9 and, at many times, throughout George's life he has waffled on whether there were 6 / 9 or 12 Episodes so we really shouldn't be surprised to see the saga go 12 Episodes.

As for the "other movies," Lucas once remarked that he had plans for a movie solely about Droids and Wookiees. The Secret History of SW website actually recounts several interviews and articles in which this is stated. I don't know if those movies would work, but I highly suspect that LFL would be interested in developing a Boba Fett movie in order to kick-off the Underworld TV series, which I fully expect launched sometime after Episode 7. Sales of Boba Fett related stuff go up 800% over other SW related stuff. He's a cult favorite. And if you doubt that a TV show and movie series could co-exist without fan interest waning just look at Star Trek. They've had a TV presence and movie presence consistently since the 60's.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  16. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    So Padme was lying when she named her daughter Leia? o_O

17. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Edit out that part of the Revenge of the Sith out or get Natalie Portman to dub in "Sally Sue."

18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Mods, we really need a "Dislike" option on this forum.

19. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    The force can give birth to a female protagonist or antagonist version of Anakin Skywalker for and in the next films.

20. Darth Trevius

Darth Trevius Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    looks like there was an original story not involving the OT cast so much that would comprise 7 8 9 .. then there was another trilogy 10 11 12 that involved very old OT characters .. and now they are considering combining the two trilogies into just the 7 8 9 .. i would imagine this is necessary because the OT cast is getting pretty old already .. so 6 new episodes are being brainstormed with the likely hood that those 6 will be combined into 3 episodes concluding the official saga .. after that i predict some kind of boba fett begins type movies where certain characters get their own feature .. it really does not sound like the OT cast will have any major contributions to the final trilogy of the saga .. it would be great if we didn't get a whole new slew of jedi overkill like the PT .. they are far more interesting when there are not 200 of them on screen playing with their lightsabers every five seconds like they think its an iphone .. realistically ep 7 will be similar to phantom menace in that disney will take the muppet baby approach and there will be a bunch of annoying kiddie jedi that disney will print on an assortment in the millions of kiddie product .. baby yoda baby chewie luke and leia jr ... things could and likely will get very fugly

21. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Another saga wouldn't really surprise me. Lucas has been pretty firm on the whole Tragedy Of Darth Vader being over, after all. Therefore you need a new storyline.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That isn't how I read it...

Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, C3PO and R2D2 are I am assured to feature prominently in the new trilogy, as was always the idea.

Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker.

I'm thinking that this is what we'll see, and they decided not to go with the combination idea.

I would agree with this, except for Lucas's recent quote about VII, VIII & IX being "the end of the trilogy". That's why I think the ST will bring this saga to a close, and the next trilogy will begin a new one.

23. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Hmm. Didn't hear about that one. Now I'm wondering how you wrap up a story when the main character is dead :p

24. JoeyArnold

Nov 7, 2012
    Force ghost Anakin Skywalker and it is about his legacy, as in the effects, good and bad, that he had on the universe.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Anakin's presence is felt through his legacy? Or maybe Lucas changed his mind again and decided it isn't all about Anakin after all.

Edit: Holy crap I actually agree with JoeyArnold for once!