main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Two Year Intervals

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by adamclark83, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamclark83

adamclark83 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2009
    While I can't wait for each new movie (mainly due to Daisy Ridley:D), I'm wondering why it was decided that each sequel would be released two years apart instead of three like the past movies?

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think the modern trend is to get sequels out faster. As far as the bottom line is concerend i.e. financials, a studio would rather be looking at a 5 year plan to make X amount of millions as opposed to a 10 year plan.

3. Boba_Fat83

Boba_Fat83 Jedi Master star 2

Feb 22, 2004
    I agree.
    Its all about the $$$[face_flag]

andresfelix, Paparazzo and Darth PJ like this.
  4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Disney will wish to establish there new single canon universe as quickly as possible. More content the better, in their eyes.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, considering that the bulk of general casting, the overall plot blueprint and reusable sets and props are all already established from that "first' year of the initial film, 2 years are all that are required.

6. CaptainMorgan2013

CaptainMorgan2013 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    $ is definitely a driving factor, but better tech is another reason.

Back with EPs IV, V, & VI GL was creating the new tech.

Then in EPs I-III he also was creating and perfecting the CGI effects.

Now, with all these tech advancements being the norm, coupled with increased computing capabilities it doesn't take as long.

Finally, if what TPTB is saying is true, regarding the reemergence of practical effects vs overusing CGI, the time to produce these sequels will be even less.

Let's just hope the overall quality of these films will not suffer (personally, I am not too concerned about that happening).

7. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    It's probably about cash. Maybe they think faster deadlines will focus the minds better to produce better content. I'm the same way. I do better when I have faster deadlines because I don't overthink things.

8. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    My only concern is that they don't rush the productions. The Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean franchises rushed things with mixed results for finished products. To be fair, I don't think the producers thought either of the initial movies would be nearly as popular as they turned out to be but that's no reason to rush production on the sequels if this turns out to be a detriment to the overall quality of the film.

9. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Also besides said reasons above, unlike say The Avenger movies which are 3 year apart, LFL already had the basic story treatment for the next two movies completed. Further is switching directors so while one is in production the next director can finish pre-production. Then while the first director is finshing post production the second can begin filming. Unlike again the Avenger movies where the same director is doing the second thus tieing him up and unable to start the next film. Thus saving the span of a whole year between films.

Darth Raiden and plaidphoenix like this.
  10. Gorkom

Gorkom Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2014
    3 years is a long arse time between movies, the Hobbit movies are being released 1 year apart. However they were filmed in a style where its like they were all filmed in one go (I think?) or perhaps thats how they did it with LOTR.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, both LOTR and the Hobbit trilogies were all filmed at the same time, then edited into three movies.

Dewback, TX-20 and plaidphoenix like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    2 years? Why not 2 months? Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions were released within 2 weeks of each other, and those are well regarded among the fans!

coxie0520 likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    after watching 12 dwarfs eating dinner for an hour in the first hobbit, i stopped caring about lord of the rings films

14. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    If VII is great the reduced time between movies is going to feel like a godsend.

15. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    It has not only to due with making more money in a shorter period of time, it also has many benefits to the production process.

16. Astronomy Domine

Astronomy Domine Jedi Knight

Jul 13, 2014
    Some of us interested parties are OLD, we don't want to kick the bucket before they all come out! (I'm not actually THAT old.)

17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    John Williams ain't getting any younger!

Seagoat, CairnsTony and mes520 like this.
  18. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I could be okay with two years, but I think if they have more time, the better quality the film.

19. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Lucas was basically an indy film maker. He would wait until the last movie was released before starting to work on the next one.

Disney isn't, they are a studio. They have a lot more resources and want more of a return on their investment, so as we've already seen, they will get people working on the next movie while the current one is in production to speed up the procces.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  20. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    If we knew for a fact that the ST was covering a reasonably short period of time, I think Disney probably would have pushed for a LOTR approach to making the ST but all the parties involved probably realize that making each movie one at a time gives the filmmakers more flexibility in getting each movie done right instead of getting them done quick.

Luminous Beings Are We and EHT like this.
  21. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009
    Plus, each movie will have different directors and writers, so the screenplays will be probably be completed when the previous movie is released and shooting can commence quickly.

EHT likes this.
  22. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

Star Wars was the personal vision of one man and now it's part of a corporate entity who's mission is to run and run and run this thing until they bleed it dry and then maybe once it starts floundering then they will give it a short rest before starting all over again.

So basically think what happened to Trek but on a larger scale. Trek really didn't get much of a rest. No sooner was Enterprise cancelled then they started thinking about a new movie.

In movie making terms it's very simple. JJ and RJ ain't Lucas. It's not their thing and they are being paid to make the films not paying to make the films so timelines are set for them not by them.

How it will work out who knows? VII should do very well though depending on their expectations maybe not as well as they hope. If they think this is going to be Avengers-like out of the gate they may be disappointed.

23. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Bear in mind that they're not starting working on EPVIII after EPVII has been released, Rian Johnson has been already working on EPVIII script or at least has been in Skywalker Ranch and was also in that meeting in London a couple weeks ago with JJ, Gareth Edwards and KK, so if they're going for a 2017 release, we're still 3 years away,

Here's my take on SW production schedules:

2014: EPVII principal photography, and last couple of months on post / 1st Spinoff movie script writing, pre-production/ EPVIII script writing
    2015: EPVII all year on post then the following release / 1st Spinoff movie pre-production and principal photography/ EPVIII pre-production (probably we'll hear new cast announcements later that year)
    2016: 1st Spinoff movie post-production than release/ EPVIII principal photography and post-production/ Beginning of pre-production of 2nd spinoff movie (with Josh Trank) and probably EPIX director casting announcement
    2017: EPVIII post-production and release / Principal photography of 2nd Spinoff starting/ EPIX pre-production
    2018: 2nd Spinoff post-production and following release/ principal photography of EPIX and beginning of post / pre-production of 3rd spinoff
    2019: EPIX post-production and release/ 3rd spinoff movie principal photography
    2020: 3rd Spin-off post-production and following release.

If they want to go back to May releases, they'll probably will antecipate shooting schedules instead of May-October shooting, to January/February to April - May shooting.

Why? Just because Lucas isn't directing or writing the the script? But nice quote to save it till the movie's release

24. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    What evidence is there that Disney will "bleed it dry"?

It is approaching the second anniversary of the sale and only now are we starting to get new Star Wars content for the Disney era with apps, Rebels and the new books. And so far everything they have done, in regards to Episode VII, has been to benefit the movie, let pushing back the release date twice.

Doesn't sound to me like the going to ride the franchise to death.

Clearly, it wasn't a rest the Star Trek needed but new management - the only good Trek under Berman was DS9 and that was because he wasn't anywhere near it.

What evidence is there that Episode VII won't do "Avengers-like" at the box office?

25. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

Was the announcement that he had signed on for Episode VII or the whole trilogy?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.