main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Two Year Intervals

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by adamclark83, Aug 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well it's not going to happen overnight or maybe for 20 years but the intent of 1 film a year plus all the other projects are the corporate way.

2. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

If Disney intended to to "bleed" the franchise they'd already be at it - throwing out apps left, right and centre, allowing Del Ray to continue the EU, etc.

Instead they are approaching everything very carefully. The Story Group is further evidence of care all parties are taking.

I don't know what to make of the "20 years".

3. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Disney has a plan. Trust me.

Krueger and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm not sure if he's signed for all 3, but I know he'll want to do all 3 if he can. He's always said that the Star Wars scores are one body of work, and he won't want to leave it incomplete.

Hoggsquattle likes this.
  5. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009

I want to respond with a Will Graham meme, gif or image but just now I don't want to go to the effort of googling it :p

6. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Any idea on how long we have until principal photography ends?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    There's no official date released, but with this hiatus of almost a month, I would say principal photography will probably be wrapped in October, I'm sure they'll probably show a tweet of a photo of the last day, like they did for the first day of shooting in Abu Dhabi.

dolphin likes this.
  8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd say it's simply because the process is now faster, especially if they have one well organized crew that does all three movies. They'd make staggering amounts of money no matter how far apart they released these movies, don't really think that's the main factor. If they can make them at a quicker pace with maintaining the same quality, there is no reason not to do it like that.

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Yes, I think the initial shoot was planned for the end of September, but the hiatus brings it to mid-October? Adam Driver indicated that he will be doing pick-ups in November and December. Then they'll have all year for post. Johnny Williams will probably be in the studio this time next year. That's a great thought.

sethg and dolphin like this.
  11. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    I'm sorry but I feel Disney is going to completely over saturate the brand by releasing so many movies so close together. What separates Star WArs from other franchises is the loyalty of this fan base waited 16 years for the next installment and will be 10 years from "Sith" when Episode VII drops. We aren't in a rush and don't need Star Wars films every year. Don't get me wrong, I'm a die hard fan and I will watch everything Star Wars related. But I'm also a fan of QUALITY OVER QUANTITY. Star Wars doesn't have to be Marvel but it seems that's what they are doing. I think the Episodes should continue to be a 3 year gap and I feel the Spin Offs shouldn't happen until the new trilogy is over.

12. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    He has only signed for VII, but we'll just have to wait and see.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Cryogenically freeze Mr. Williams!

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I can't help but suspect if the short timing between eps is due to the age of the people involved
    John Williams is what, 83? Harrison is at least 70 I think. Max Von Sydow is in his 80's too
    Granted, Christopher Lee was in his 80's for AOTC and ROTS, yet still.... never know if tragedy will occur :/
    I'm sure that the possibility of that happening has some influence on the shorter period of time between eps

15. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    if they are following the model of 1 main saga movie every 2 years with 1 spinoff movie in between, then they will be deep into production on the first spinoff with preproduction on ep. 8 when we are watching ep. 7 in the theaters.

16. Abounder

Abounder Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 17, 2014

I agree, time is of the essence for the sequel trilogy. It also conveniently aligns with most of the Marvel contracts ending, in other words having successful Star Wars movies will keep the plastic crack (merchandise sales like action figures) rolling in for Disney. I wouldn't be surprised if space fantasy operas like Thor gets phased out.

17. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Why would stuff like Thor get phased out? Guardians of the Galaxy is already getting a sequel.

Marvel isn't going anywhere. The original Avengers will wrap up their trilogies and take a well earn break and other superheroes will be introduced to carry the torch for a while.

RDJ and company will return at some point in the future or a after a suitably respectable period, the characters will get recast. Though I'd much prefer the former to the later.

18. Abounder

Abounder Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 17, 2014

I think Guardians paved the way for stuff like Thor phasing out because it shows they can make hits without the Avengers. Contractually I doubt we will see most of the phase 1 stars re-up for another long series. And I wonder if space opera fantasies like Thor and Guardians would have been greenlit if Disney already had owned Star Wars (cannibalization). In other words it will be interesting to see which direction the MCU will follow, and how cosmic and fantasy-like it will be in phases 3 and 4.

But I agree they could coexist and Disney would be foolish to let Downey Jr. and Co. leave without a fight

19. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Thats not actually true. The then president of Paramont didn't like Star Trek and no interest in producing Tv or movies, and once Enterprise was cancelled they started selling off all the props and costumes.

20. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    I'm not following - why would Thor be phased out? What stuff like it?

I don't think Guardians of the Galaxy was much of a risk or anything - the challenge will be in introducing the lesser Marvel characters to replace the Avengers.

I don't see what the two franchises have to do with each other or why Star Wars would affected GotG or Thor.

I suspect the Avengers cast will want a break after their trilogies and Avengers movies are complete, but I'd see them returning to it again in a few years. Hopefully ;)

21. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    The sooner they can get Episodes 7, 8, and 9 out, the sooner they can work on either Episodes 10, 11, and 12 or start making another type of SW trilogy like one about Yoda's early days or the Old Republic/jedi.

22. Hoggsquattle

Feb 7, 2009
    Why?

They can take their time and do it right. Why rush one trilogy just to make another?

23. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Personally, I think they are just putting the basic timeframe out there and seeing what happens. Once VII finishes post-production, they will know whether it's possible to produce VIII in the following 2 years. Moving from a December to May release date could also come into play.

24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Its not about age, its about making money. Star Wars has less movies to juggle so no 3 year breaks between Cap A and WS for instance.

25. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Because Super Hero movies tend to do 3 then reboot as an unofficial rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.