main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Two's Company, Three's a Crowd, and Four's Just Confusing (Back from the dead)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by emeraldshadow, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emeraldshadow

emeraldshadow Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 7, 2005
    Note 1: It's a post NJO AU so don't expect any Dark Nest references

Note 2: Each chapter of this story will be told from the point of view of one of the four main characters. The name of the person ?telling? the current segment of the story will be displayed next to the chapter number.

Note 3: The views expressed in this chapter are Jaina?s, not mine. I do not believe that thirty is in any way old, I am simply using a combination of some of the real life angst my mother?s youngest sister experienced when she turned thirty and a slightly exaggerated version of my opinion of how Jaina would react to getting older and I do not wish to offend anyone.

Note 4: That slightly exagerated thing applies to the behavior of most of the characters in the first few chapters, just so your warned.

Note 5: This is just a short teaser prologue (in fact, it's becoming shorter than my notes and one or the other will eventually have to be editted to restore balance) the rest of the chapters will both longer and better than this. But enough of my nervous rambling:p

Two?s Company, Three?s a Crowd, and Four?s Just Confusing

Prologue: Jaina

None of what I am about to tell you ever would have happened if I hadn?t looked at myself in the mirror.

I don?t mean that in some metaphoric, confronting my inner demons and hypocrisy way, I mean that my downfall was actually, literally taking a long look at myself in my bedroom mirror.

I don?t usually primp in front of mirrors, and with the force as my witness I never will in the future, but, on this particular day, something happened to catch my eye; a wrinkle.

I?m not usually vain, but I must admit that the appearance of this offensive addition to my otherwise attractive face disturbed me deeply.

I?m afraid of getting old. It had freaked me out when I had turned thirty last month. I?m afraid of not being able to fight and defend myself and those I love from the so called ?forces of evil?, being the sword of the Jedi is all I know how to do.

Now I know my mother had handled aging well and still managed to keep herself in fighting shape. Of course she had never been on the front lines like I had, her body hadn?t suffered as much abuse and reconstruction as mine had. I also didn?t possess the grace and aura of dignified nobility that allowed my mother to carry her age well. I was going to grow into a shriveled up rancor-faced sack of wrinkles crippled by the injuries of her youth.

This was the first step. I was growing, or at least I was going to grow, old. Moreover, I had no one to grow old with. I had ruined every chance I had had at happiness and now I was going to die alone. I was never going to have the family I had wanted to have eventually, at least not before i was too old and decrepit to enjoy having it.

Wallowing in this revelation of my mortality and loneliness brought about by a thin line nobody would ever notice anyway I did something that I would regret for a long time to come, I said ?Yes.?

Zekk had tried to propose to me before and I had naturally explained to him the many reasons why that was not a good idea (not the least of which was that I wasn?t sure if I felt or even could ever feel the same way about him as he had always felt about me), but that never discouraged him for long.

True to form he came back for more abuse on the fateful day I discovered the wrinkle. We went out to dinner under the guise of old friends catching up and halfway through desert he asked me to marry him, more out of habit than any hope of getting the answer he wanted. This time though I said yes.

That?s when the real trouble began.

2. jedi_of_ennth

jedi_of_ennth Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 1, 2005
    I don?t usually primp in front of mirrors, and with the force as my witness I never will in the future, but, on this particular day, something happened to catch my eye; a wrinkle.

Oh no! A wrinkle! :eek: :p

True to form he came back for more abuse on the fateful day I discovered the wrinkle. We went out to dinner under the guise of old friends catching up and halfway through desert he asked me to marry him, more out of habit than any hope of getting the answer he wanted.

[face_laugh] Poor, lovesick Zekk. [face_laugh]

3. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *laughs* I love the concept lol!

Love sick Zekk *snicker* Awesome beginning emeraldshadow, I can't wait for the next installment!

If you're sending PMs, I'd love to get them ;)

4. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Jedi_Jaina_Durron Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2001
    [face_laugh] I'm amused from beginning to end--and the title's great, too!

I'm definitely in.

Is it too soon to ask for more (insanity)?

5. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    J_O_E: Thank you for formally reviewing master. I already knew you liked it but it's nice to see you on the thread.

Jade Max: Of course you can recieve PMs, I'm happy to have a reader that likes it that much already.:D

Jedi Jaina Durron: No, I already have the next installment written. I just need my master to approve it (I already went ahead and made my own corrections after sending it to her but I want to see if she caught anything I didn't before I post it)

6. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    The title drew me in, though not as much as the four characters.

I'm a big Z/T fan so I hope there's some of them together in here, unless you're doing Jag/Tahiri, which is alright for me but the least preferred.

Not that you're writing this for me personally. :p

Ok I'm going away now, but not before admiring this first part and I too raise the hand for a PM when you update.

7. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005

To Lola and any other Tahiri/Zekk shippers there may be out there (come on, there has to be some): Do not be discouraged by this chapter, there is still an extremely good chance of Zekk/Tahiri in later chapters (and I should know, I?m the author:p )

Chapter One: Jagged Fel

None of what I am about to tell you would have happened if I hadn?t been watching the HoloNet. I usually don?t watch the newscasts unless I know there?s something going on in the galaxy that I should keep myself informed about and whatever gods there may be out there know I won?t even do that from now on, but, on this particular day something happened to catch my eye: the announcement of Jaina Solo?s engagement to the Jedi Zekk.

Now I?m not usually a jealous man, but, I must admit, this news disturbed me greatly. I had loved Jaina and we had shared a deep connection at one time. Well, to be perfectly straightforward, I still loved Jaina and even though our relationship had fallen apart long ago, the news of her sudden engagement came as a shocking and deep cutting blow.

The announcement said that there was an engagement party to be thrown for the supposedly happy couple by Jaina?s parents on the following night. So I did what any other man would have done in my position, I planned to crash it. I wanted to talk to Jaina (just talk, I would comport myself with all the dignity of the Chiss and refrain from making a scene); I had to know she was truly happy with her decision.

I?ll admit that my small intrigue was ill advised and it most certainly caused everyone involved in the events it set into motion no small amount of pain, but a man in love can certainly not be faulted for any rash actions he may take. Also, in my defense, I must say that initially my plan went extremely well; nobody who saw me questioned my right to be at the party (not that many people were being denied admission to the occasion; in reality, it seemed like the entire population of the core worlds was in attendance) and I was not spotted by anyone who I thought would prevent me from talking to Jaina.

The problem came when I was forced to ponder the question of how I was going to get Jaina alone so I could talk to her. My lady love and her dubious fiancée were surrounded by a simpering group of well wishers at all times and I couldn?t push my way through them and demand to speak with Jaina without causing the kind of scandal I was trying to avoid (there would be no short of scandals in the coming weeks but I was not aware of that then). It was most definitely a delicate situation calling for a diplomatic solution.

I grabbed a glass of champagne off a tray being offered by a wandering waiter and leaned against the wall, casually keeping an eye on the guests of honor while I waited for a plan to strike me. I downed the glass in one gulp, something I usually would have never done, especially with champagne; but it seemed the sort of thing that a daring man of action on his way to win back his girl would do and I was all about conveying the proper image. I repressed a sputtering cough as bubbles maliciously attacked the inside of my nose.

?The role of brooding drunk doesn?t suit you,? a voice by my left ear said.

I turned my head to see a figure I was not sure whether regard as a vision of loveliness or a harbinger of doom.

?And what role would suit me better Jedi Veila?? I asked inclining my head in a gesture of respect to the petite blonde.

She smiled, ?The ex-boyfriend who attempts to take the high road by playing the gracious loser and making a completely insincere toast to the happy couple, what else??

I gave a carefully calculated scoff of disgust. ?What sort of toast am I supposed to give? To Jaina and Zekk and their sham of an engagement??

Tahiri frowned and wiggled her bare toes. I assumed that this was a sign of annoyance, but I had never been well versed in foot language so I could not be sure.

?What makes you think it?s a sham?? she said sounding more like the wide-eyed little girl I had been told she once was

8. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    lol!

Tahiri frowned and wiggled her bare toes. I assumed that this was a sign of annoyance, but I had never been well versed in foot language so I could not be sure.

*snicker* I loved Fel in this... I'm not a Jag fan to be certain, but the discussion with Tahiri and the subsequent caf invite, deliberate or not and her hiding shoes *snicker*

I love the foreshadowing too, about the scandals and the such.. very entertaining and intriguing.

This was awesome, I can't wait for the next part ;)

9. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Hehehehehehee! [face_laugh]

So I did what any other man would have done in my position, I planned to crash it. [face_laugh] Yay!

At the beginning I was snickering, but by the end you had me giggling. Great post.

Is it too soon to ask for more?

10. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    To Lola and any other Tahiri/Zekk shippers there may be out there

Are there more than Lola and jedi_of_ennth? And I know she only did it because I issued that challenge. :p

This is really good emerald I'm liking Jag here, since he's a bit different, more human but still cool as a cucumber. Do they have cucumbers in Star Wars?

So I did what any other man would have done in my position, I planned to crash it.

You go Jag!!!!!

I treated Tahiri to my second most debonair smile, offered her my arm, and we stepped into our destiny.

Jaina would have to wait until another day.

Again, you go Jag!!

I betcha Jaina saw them. *crosses fingers hoping to be true*[face_devil]

I'm loving this. And I hope we see Zekk next.

Ooh, maybe Zekk sees Jag and Tahiri and feels jealous for some reason.

Thanks for the PM and I'll keep taking 'em. I got to keep my eye on this one. :D

11. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005

[face_laugh] I love the whole conversation between Jag and Tahiri. So cute. [face_laugh]

12. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    Sorry it took me so long to get these replies posted. I wanted to wait until I had time for individual responses.

Jade Max:
    I loved Fel in this... I'm not a Jag fan to be certain, but the discussion with Tahiri and the subsequent caf invite, deliberate or not and her hiding shoes *snicker*

Thank you!:D If I can make people who are not Jag fans like him in my story I must be doing something right.

Jedi Jaina Durron:
    Yes, sadly enough. I'm going to estimate about a week until the next chapter. I'm not going to have time to write the next couple of days and then I have another project that I want to work on before I get back to this.

Jedi of Ennth:
    I love the whole conversation between Jag and Tahiri. So cute.
    As always, I love to hear praise from you master. I'll be PMing you about that other project I mentioned shortly.

Lola64:
    I'm liking Jag here, since he's a bit different, more human but still cool as a cucumber.
    I'm glad everyone likes my Jag.

Do they have cucumbers in Star Wars?
    [face_thinking] I honestly don't know.

I betcha Jaina saw them. *crosses fingers hoping to be true*
    [face_whistling]

I hope we see Zekk next
    Your wish is my command.

Ooh, maybe Zekk sees Jag and Tahiri and feels jealous for some reason.

Once again [face_whistling] ;)

See you all real soon!

13. SpiritofEowyn

SpiritofEowyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    Heh. Very cleaverly written! Very funny yet plotful. You have a solid voice.
    :envy envy::
    =D=

Update!

(and PM me when you do, if you provide such services)

14. JayaMioneDurron

JayaMioneDurron Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2004
    GOOD!!!!

very very good. YAH J/T! always a good read.

please update soon. (a pm would be nice too)

15. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    So far I find this story hilarious. Especially Jag POV :D Zekk/Tahiri? Well it sounds better then Jag/Tahiri or Jacen/Tahiri...

16. Barefoot_XO

Barefoot_XO Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2004
    *chortles*

I love the image of Tahiri wiggling her toes in annoyance...

It is so very Tahiri...

Jasper

17. Fiana_Novarr

Fiana_Novarr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2001
    Hi there!

Love this, cheered me up very much - and I usually am not much of a fan of JainaandZekk (TUQ - *shudder*), but the concept of her saying yes to his proposal out of habit - that is such a Zekk thing to do - loved it!! [face_laugh]

So, do you do update PMs??

Ys, Fia

18. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    More replies-

Spirit of Eowyn:
    Very cleverly written! Very funny yet plotful. You have a solid voice.

Thank you Spirit.:D I love the word plotful by the way and plan to add it to my vocabulary of made up words.

JayaMioneDurron:

GOOD!!!!

very very good.

THANK YOU

very very much.;)

YAH J/T! always a good read.

I haven't read any J/T stories yet but they were a blast to write.

Chimpo the Sith:

So far I find this story hilarious. Especially Jag POV

Another person who likes my Jag, yay!

Zekk/Tahiri? Well it sounds better then Jag/Tahiri or Jacen/Tahiri...

Jacen/Tahiri? ~recoils and shudders in horror~

Barefoot XO:

I love the image of Tahiri wiggling her toes in annoyance...

It is so very Tahiri...

I thought so. I like the idea of Tahiri's "foot language" and I'm glad my readers do too.

Fiana Novarr:

Love this, cheered me up very much

It cheers me up to hear that.

I usually am not much of a fan of JainaandZekk (TUQ - *shudder*)

Awww, you should give J/Z a shot.

loved it!! [face_laugh]

Just as I said before with the Jag thing, if I can get nonfans to like it then I must be doing something right.

Thanks to everyone who reviewed!

-Marie

19. BigFatty

BigFatty Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2005
    Don't forget to PM your story info to Jaina_Jag_Index so we can put it in our story database. :)

20. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    Notes: Hmmm, I guess I?ll have to go all Darth Chicken on you and say that everything I told you was a lie but I really didn?t expect to have another chapter ready this fast (I didn?t write the first part of that other project, so that helped a little). Many questions are raised by the end of this chapter but I assure you there is a method to my madness, a reason for everything I do, and an answer for most of these raised questions contained in the next chapter. Enjoy!

Two?s Company, Three?s a Crowd, and Four?s Just Confusing

Chapter Two: Zekk

None of what I am about to tell you would have ever happened if I wasn?t such an unbelievable sap. I?ve always been blind where Jaina?s concerned and everybody knows that?s the way it will always be.

The problem is her eyes. She has these amazing eyes- eyes that would look at me conspiratorially, inviting me to join her in her game, calling me to follow her into whatever mischievous scheme she had cooked up, and compelling me to obey her commands blindly. Then, when all nine Corellian hells did, inevitably, break loose, she would look at me with those wide, innocent eyes and make me wonder how I could have ever pulled her into the mess to begin with.

We had a childhood together that was interesting if it was anything and I was glad to keep taking the blame for our schemes; it the price that had to be paid for hanging around with the girl with the amazing eyes. I was her doormat even then. Jacen hung around with us too but he never managed to shoulder all the blame he should have either, the Solos were tricky that way.

The Solos went away to the Jedi Academy but I didn?t forget about Jaina and her beautiful eyes. Every time they came back to Coruscant for a visit we fell back into our old pattern but, like I said, I didn?t mind that. I didn?t mind Jaina going away to the academy either (except that training to be a Jedi was one more thing that made her better than me and the academy was just another dimension added to the world I thought I could never live in).

Then the Shadow Academy thing happened and a bunch of other stuff that I?m not proud of, but, at the end of it all, Jaina still liked me and wanted me around. I, once again, slipped into the role of Jaina?s whipping boy, grateful just to be around her.

One day though she looked at me with those eyes and I saw that there was a new game Jaina was interested in playing. It was a game that was much more painful then any game we had played as children and a game that I appeared to continually lose, but I also enjoyed this game much more then any other I had ever played. We were torn apart again after we graduated the academy, then the war started and I feared I would never see her again. I did, of course, see her again but by that time she wasn?t interested in playing with me any more. I waited for her to come around but instead of warming up to me Jaina found a new playmate, Jag Fel.

My heart broke and I became, if it was possible, an even more pathetic creature then I already was. I retreated, my head hung low, and all but gave hope of winning back Jaina. She eventually broke up with Fel but she said she still didn?t want me. She told me I was like a brother to her and I died a little more.

Now she had apparently changed her mind and had said ?Yes? where she had said ?No? many times before. It looked like I may be the ultimate winner of the game after all.

I should have known she had some ulterior motive in agreeing to marry me or that it was some sinister scheme to hurt me even more but I didn?t. Sap that I was I believed we were going to finally live happily ever after together. That was my first mistake.

My second mistake occurred during our engagement party when something caught my eye: Jag Fel standing in a corner and glaring at us with a look that was a touch more hostile than his usual expressionless glare. His presence, I must admit, disturbed me greatly but, a sap as always, I decided to do nothing about it. I wanted to let him see what it was like to watch the woman he lo

21. Lola64

Mar 10, 2005
    Tahiri Veila who was sitting on the floor and looking at us with much the same expression I imagine we were looking at her with and a shirtless Jag Fel who was bent over an unconscious waitress trying to revive her.

Oh my!:eek: :eek:

Now for the rest.

I thought you did Zekk great here. He is such a sap for Jaina. Poor guy. IMO Tahiri is a better match for him.

instead of warming up to me Jaina found a new playmate, Jag Fel.

It probably looked that way to him.

she wouldn?t be fazed by Captain Cardboard?s presence (Sap!).
    [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you] [face_shame_on_you]

less of a stir then Jacen and Tenel Ka having a secret love child together or doing something equally stupid would have.

If that's a DN diss, high five. You go girl. :p

I heard the click of a holocamera taking a picture and looked up to see a man who was obviously a reporter standing in the doorway that lead to the main floor of the diner.

Let the scandal begin.

Great update emerald. I'm glad you could get it out there.

Now you know we all want to know where Jag's shirt is and why there's food everywhere. Hopefully Tahiri will be next. [face_praying]

22. Jedi_Jaina_Durron

Dec 1, 2001
    Their marriage had angered a lot of people and had inspired many assassination attempts, but it was nothing they couldn?t handle and getting married had caused less of a stir then Jacen and Tenel Ka having a secret love child together or doing something equally stupid would have. Favorite. Line. Ever.

I also adored the motif about Jaina's eyes (giiiirllll [face_shame_on_you]) and what the heck was going on there at the end? I can't wait to see! :D[face_laugh]

Great post. Poor (sap) Zekk!

23. Chimpo_the_Sith

Chimpo_the_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 15, 2003
    What did just happen in the kitchen? And why was Jag shirtless? What happend to the waitress? WTH DID JUST HAPPEND!!!! :confused:

Nice post again :)

24. emeraldshadow

Oct 7, 2005
    Lola64:
    I thought you did Zekk great here.

Thanks.:D

He is such a sap for Jaina. Poor guy.

~sigh~ Yep, my heart goes out to the guy.

IMO Tahiri is a better match for him.

Hmmm[face_thinking]... Nope, not buying it. I may end the story that way and I may write some T/Z fics but I'll always be a J/Z shipper.

If that's a DN diss, high five. You go girl.

It most certainly was a Dark Nest diss. ~grumbles about UQ~

Let the scandal begin.

:D

Now you know we all want to know where Jag's shirt is and why there's food everywhere.
    I know and I'll let you keep wondering for a couple days.:p

Hopefully Tahiri will be next

Tahiri is definitely next. I need to tell the story of how her and Jag's date went from caf [face_coffee] to scandal:eek: and confusion :confused: .

Jedi Jaina Durron:

what the heck was going on there at the end? I can't wait to see

:D

Great post.

Thanks!

Yep.

Chimpo the Sith:

What did just happen in the kitchen? And why was Jag shirtless? What happend to the waitress? WTH DID JUST HAPPEND!!!!
    I'm not telling.[face_devil]

25. jedi_of_ennth

Mar 1, 2005
    The problem is her eyes. She has these amazing eyes- eyes that would look at me conspiratorially, inviting me to join her in her game, calling me to follow her into whatever mischievous scheme she had cooked up, and compelling me to obey her commands blindly.

[face_laugh] Zekk is so pitifully hopeless in this. [face_laugh] I love it. [face_love]

Their marriage had angered a lot of people and had inspired many assassination attempts, but it was nothing they couldn?t handle and getting married had caused less of a stir then Jacen and Tenel Ka having a secret love child together or doing something equally stupid would have.

[face_laugh] I love that line. [face_laugh]

I put my arms around her and hugged her tightly before holding her out at arms length and saying, ?I care about Jaina Solo the person.?
    Instead of being encouraged, Jaina became even more morose and tears started to fill her eyes. ?I know you do Zekk. I know you do. You?ll love me without question and take care of me when I get old, you?ll never leave me, and you?ll put up with me no matter what I do. That?s why I picked you.?

[face_love] Good ol' Zekk. [face_love]

Splotches of food covered every surface in the room including Tahiri Veila who was sitting on the floor and looking at us with much the same expression I imagine we were looking at her with and a shirtless Jag Fel who was bent over an unconscious waitress trying to revive her.

:eek: :eek: How delightfully scandalous! [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.