main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Ty_Ordell's Fan Art - March 6th- failed Charity cards and new piece -Ahsoka

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ty_Ordell, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    Your artwork is awesome. I love the style of your work, has an extra kick to it, I enjoyed your sketches the most. Hope you keep posting!
    -Arsnl

2. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I think it looks much more in scale now. It doesn't look like you messed with it, either, so kudos for keeping it clean.

Hope to see more soon, Ty.

3. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    I just realized I haven't posted anything in a month so I thought I'd better up my thread.

I haven't done much, just one commision that I really didn't have time for. A guy I work with paid me to do a comic book style version of his buddies fanfic character. He kept bugging me so I finally gave in. He never gave me a name for this character so I just named him Gary.

www.deviantart.com/deviation/20091140

4. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Very threatening looking fellow. The dark, graphic shadows really give it a 'comic-book villian' look. Terrific job rendering the electricity effect on his staff. I also really like the detailing on his armour. It very much looks like metal that's been worn down with time and experience.

5. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks, I cheated though, I used a photoshop style to create the worn metal look, but It worked so oh well.

Hey Everyone!! I was working on this original character design and got stuck, I'm not sure what to do with her, basically my goal with her was to work on my coloring and create a more detailed piece. I find I always keep my artwork too simple. Anyways I thought everyone here could help me with some of these details, should she be holding a gun/guns or lightsaber/lightsabers. What color should her skin be, and do you like the elf ears? Plz help so I can color her.

[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/SWgirl2.jpg]

6. Corellian_Rogue

Corellian_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2001
    Maybe give her an ornate thickset belt with pieces of fabric dynamically swirling away from it. I don't know how much you want to change the lineart if at all but generally layering of fabrics and textures create a deeper sense of the character. Maybe just more stuff, after all a lot of characters are defined by what they carry or lack of things too for that matter.

Maybe give her hairstyles more whimisical nature to it...think of one the most bizarre things you can then plonk it on her head wrapped up in hair. :D Works for me! LOL

Nice lineart though...I like the simplicity but I can understand wanting to try a different style.

7. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Corellian_Rogue gave some great suggestions.

You might find that you'll have an easier time designing props for a character if you really sit down and ask yourself what the character is like. Is this a 'shoot-first-ask-questions-later' character, a scholar, a traveler, a monk, etc.? Is she a pilot, does she have any good luck charms, superstitions, childhood mementos... stuff like that can really give you a good platform to think of props.

8. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Here is the work in progress, I hope to finish it tonight. Thanks for the tips guys I added a belt, it's not a thick set belt, but more of a belt than she had. She's still a fairly simple character though. I didn't give her a saber though. I thought it would be cool and different to have this beautiful, ethereal Elf-like alien brandishing 2 pistols like she's the Terminator. Let me know what ya think

[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/gungirl.jpg]

9. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    :D I like it a lot!

10. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Looks great. I like the layered cloth from the belt. See how it gives you more secondary movement and makes it more dynamic? :) Well done!

I love how you've done her with the pistols...people would expect her to carry an elegant weapon but then she's got two pistols like a gunslinger. Nice! :D Nice rendering of the black parts by the way, black is always a challenge for me.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    As always, I love your inking. Keep 'em coming.

12. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    Nice, simply colouring. The highlighting gives her a 3D appearance, especially the hot spots on her black outfit.

With the rich blue skin colour, she looks a bit like a female version of Thrawn.

13. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Wicktone - As soon as I picked blue as her skin color I thought 'people are going to think she's Thrawn's species', especially because of the red eyes, but I like her elf ears and don't want to change them. Also for some reason I have this strong temptation to give her a tail? Kind of like a female nightcrawler (xmen). I guess we'll see.

Corellian_Rogue - Thank-You, I did use a few of your suggestions, they were good ones and now we can see her becoming more than just some generic female character.

14. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey Ty!! Loving the new icon, btw! [face_laugh]

I've been away while you've been busy, it seems! I love "Gary"--and the fact that you gave him such an ordinary name! He looks like a really dangerous fellow, with the crackling staff and that fierce glower on his face--a wonderful rendering of a villain!

And I love your "Terminator Elf!" She's not such a "sweet" character, either, is she? Toting two great big guns and a disarming smile...? I guess it didn't even occur to me that she was Chiss, even with the blue skin--after all, aliens come in all colors, don't they...? And Twi'leks come in all the colors of the rainbow, lol! She has great movement and a very dynamic pose--a great character!

It's great to see you posting again, Ty--we're glad to see new things from you! :D

FF

15. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Hey there she is, thanks for the feedback as always FalconFan. I have 3 weeks of holidays right now so I'll hopefully get a few pieces done while I'm off. I haven't done a Fanart challenge piece for a while so here is my entry. you'll see it in the challenge thread as well of course.

www.deviantart.com/deviation/20566756

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:
    WOW!! Awesome painting of Darth Maul!! I really like the lighting in this one--sort of soft, while still point-source--it illuminates his features without being harsh, lending a wonderful counterpoint to the mood of the portrait. Beautifully done! =D= And a promise of more work to come--can't wait! :D ;)

FF

17. Corellian_Rogue

Sep 30, 2001
    Great work Ty! She looks so good! :D I wonder about the tail deal though...maybe try it and see. I'm a fan of a humanoid with a big ol tail any day! :D

I can't believe you've already finished something for the art challenge! Amazing! :) It looks great! Was this done with PS?

18. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Sorry I haven't popped in here for awhile, Ty. [face_blush]

That painting of Maul is awesome! I really love the expression on his face - he has that "don't mess with me" attitude. And the way you kinda have him moving out of the darkness was a nice touch. Overall, nicely done! =D=

19. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks everyone, CR - this time I used the program Open Canvas, I can't figure out Painter for the life of me and I was able to give it a more painted look in OC then in PS, UC..[face_mischief]. I'm thinking of adding more to him though I don't like the square frame.

Oh and I decided against giving her a tail but if anyone can think of a name for her be my guest.

20. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    I like how your, um "Terminator Elf" (as those before me have seemed to call her) is so deceptive in appearance. Smiling so innocently and sweet all the while she would probably have no problems whatsoever with blowing anyone away.

Darth Maul has such great dimension to him. I like the style you've painted him in. I've never heard of Open Canvas, but you seem to use it rather well. :)

- Suz ^_~

21. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    I finished Elf chicky, I named her Taelle Nightstalker. She's very comic booky looking. But I think she's one of my better pieces in a while.

Taelle Nightstalker
    www.deviantart.com/view/20629053

Thanks for the feedback YW that was exactly the look I was going for with Taelle.

Next I really want to do another piece in illustrator like my Han&Chewie and Luke Tauntaun piece, since people really seem to enjoy those.

22. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    The background you picked for her looks great. I love the very subtle texture and the blue colour, of course, matches your character perfectly.

23. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow, Ty, she looks fantastic!! I really like the "matte-shiney" effect you used for her clothing, and the way it's highlighted--makes it look like well-worn leather or something! This is just wonderful (and I like the name, too--very :cool: !)--the detailing you've added to her is just great! She's just about to swing those blasters up and take a "bead" on us...isn't she...? ;) Little minx! Great job, Ty--she's a great character!

FF

24. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Now it is complete! :)

The bg has an 'icy' feel to it and I like how it sort of fades out to the top right corner. The painting in general is so smooth and perfectly applied to her body. Most excellent. Very much like the name too.

- Suz ^_~

25. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.