main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Ty_Ordell's Fan Art - March 6th- failed Charity cards and new piece -Ahsoka

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ty_Ordell, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I love rough sketches, and these are no exception. The Han rough is my favourite of the two, it's so unmistakably Han (plus, Han will always be cooler than Anakin, IMO ;) ). Both of the sketches have that raw energy that more polished work often lacks, and that's what I love about the quick stuff.

More, please.

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Geez, I just really envy people who can work so quickly!! [face_frustrated]

These are wonderful Ty!! You've captured such recognizable likenesses with just a few broad strokes--awesome!! I really like them both, but I think I have to agree with soits and lean toward Han (who doesn't love that "scruffy-looking nerf herder?" ;) ). The quick shading is just perfect, defining the planes of the faces and hair--how do you do that...? :D Great work!

FF

3. wicktone

wicktone Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2003
    I love seeing rough sketches. There's just something really compelling about them; you can almost see in your mind the person drawing all the lines in your head.

I'll have to add my vote to the 'Han' pile for the favorite of the two. I love how you drew the planes of his face very angularly, but with smooth parallel lines. It softens the angles, but gives the face a great amount of depth.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Ooo! Nice! :D

Of course, you knew I was going to swoon all over this with Han being one of the subjects. :p So, yea...you can add my vote for the Han one as well. It's really cool how you manage to capture someone's likeness with so few strokes. That definitely takes talent! ;)

5. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    :D I like those sketches a lot! You really capture their essential qualities.

6. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks everyone and don't worry soitcometothis I plan to do more.

7. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I love your style Ty_Ordell. Your linework gives your pieces a lot of energy and vibrancy.

8. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
  9. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Don't be silly, the eyes don't suck - I think they just might be drawn a smidge too close together is all. Besides that, they are beautiful, with the nice thick eyeline and big rounded eyes, reminding me very much of an anime style. I really like the sketch style you've done. It's simple but just detailed enough. The same goes for the colouring, especially on C3P0's reflective surface.

- Suz ^_~

10. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Your_Worshipfulness - I went back into photoshop and fixed her eyes, you were right they were too close together.

Her eyes look better now, however this pic ceases to be a quick sketch and is now a full fledged piece of Art

(go back to my previous post to see the edited drawing)

also here's a quick one I did of Count Dooku

www.deviantart.com/deviation/21350514

11. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    :eek:
    WOW, Ty--these latest pieces are fantastic, especially for "quick work!!" I just love the bold lines you use for these--with a few dark strokes, you seem to be able to capture so completely recognizable likenesses (turns a bit green-with-envy)! I also love the gray tones you've used for shading--beautiful! And I'm with Suz on the eyes--fabulous! "Luminous," "deep," "alive" all come to mind for descriptors here! C3PO just looks wonderful (and yes, the "reflectiveness" of his surfaces shows up beautifully!)--but Dooku is the one that impresses me most (Cmdr_Gabe_E will be in here gushing in no time--he's a fav character!): he just looks evil in this--that elegant "glower" on his face, and his strong countenance...grand!! The only tiny suggestion with Dooku might be to add just a pin-prick of catch-light somewhere in his left eye--I think it might add a bit more "life" to him. Other than that, it's exquisite! I sure wish I could figure out how you people do this "quick work!" [face_frustrated]!! ;) Wonderful additions to your gallery, Ty!!

FF

12. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    These have so much character! I love the style and I haven't seen it before, so kudos for being original.

To me, the likenesses are very accurate but seem to have an element of caricature in them. It's a great technique.

Of the group, I have to say that C-3P0 is my favorite. The simple grey-tone and linework on him is quite awesome and gives him an effortless appeal. Really cool stuff, Ty!

13. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Those are great, Ty! And I love Leia's eyes.

14. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks everyone for the kind words, I enjoy doing these rough sketches because they're quick and I get to leave them looking sketchy and raw, which is more my style anyways. My schedule doesn't always allow me to many polished pieces which is why I have to turn down so many art requests.

Your_Worshipfulness - I shouldn't have said that I suck at doing eyes I guess what I really meant was that eyes are not my strong point when it comes to portrait drawing.
    I had someone else tell me the other day that many of my characters look almost Manga style. I've never thought so, at least I don't conciously try to make my art look Anime style. Nothing against Anime, I'm a big fan, there's just so much of it out there. However I grew up watching Battle of the Planets, Asro boy, Transformers, Voltron and Robotech. Maybe my artwork was influenced and I didn't know it!![face_thinking]

FalconFanThanks for stopping in again, you're the one I need to talk to about drawing eyes, you are the master. I will definitely take your advice and give Dooku some Lasec surgery, thanks for the feedback.
    I like how Dooku turned out but my fav is C3PO, he was the quickest to draw, and I really like how the reflective surface turned out. I will definitely be using this greytone technique in any future quick sketches.

wicktone - Thanks for visiting, In any sketch/drawing I do I like to exagerate the characters expressions ever so slightly, it's a little bit of a style thing but probably more my animation training from college causing me to do that.

soitscometothis - Thanks for stopping by and for the kind comments. I guess her eyes aren't that bad but I have to be careful making them as big as I did because it kinda sorta gives her the look of Preteen Leia rather than ESB Leia.

I may not have anything StarWarsy for a while, my wife auctioned up my portrait drawing services at a fundraiser for my daughters preschool so I'll be working on that.

Funny Thing is the father of another kid at her preschool is a professional artist/cartoonist, Jay Stephen's, creator of Tutenstein which airs Saturday mornings on Discovery kids, he also worked for Marvel comics in late 80's early 90's even working on a Star Wars comic book. Currently he's working on a project for Stan Lee himself, but he didn't offer anything for the auction. Probably too busy.

15. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    You've been "drafted" as a portrait artist, eh? At least we know you'll be getting to draw! ;)

Be sure to drop a copy of anything that you do into your DA account so we can take a look at it, Ty--your portraiture is stunning, and I'm sure whatever you end up doing will be wonderful!

And as to Star Warsy-work--we're happy to wait patiently for an update! :D

Keep the tablet and pencils going!

FF

16. Your_Worshipfulness

Your_Worshipfulness Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2005
    Dooku looks great! FF nailed it (as she so usually does) with her comments on his strong countenance and glower. Going "crazy with the gray tones", as you put it, definatley had a great effect.

---
    I shouldn't have said that I suck at doing eyes I guess what I really meant was that eyes are not my strong point when it comes to portrait drawing.

Well, for what it's worth, it doesn't appear to me that you are as weak in the area as you believe. I think they are just fine. :)

I had someone else tell me the other day that many of my characters look almost Manga style. I've never thought so, at least I don't conciously try to make my art look Anime style. Nothing against Anime, I'm a big fan, there's just so much of it out there. However I grew up watching Battle of the Planets, Asro boy, Transformers, Voltron and Robotech. Maybe my artwork was influenced and I didn't know it!!

There are so many variations of a manga style out there - some more realistic and some far more cartoony, that sometimes it's kind of hard not see those similarities in other type of work which may not necessarily be linked to anime whatsoever. It also may be that since I'm familiar with that type of art, that there are times I can see it so readily in artwork. However, you do raise an interesting point on how it could have possibly been an influence. I'd also like to mention that Transformers and Astroboy were a couple of my fave cartoons growing up and that they majorily rocked. *tee hee*

I do agree with you on how there's so much anime around. I'm a fan as well, but not nearly as "hardcore" as I once used to be.

Good luck with the portrait drawing service. You'll do an excellent job (and it's very kind of you too). We shall all wait patiently for your artwork. :)

- Suz ^_~

17. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Haa! Not that anyone will care about this but I just checked out TFN's main page under 'Latest News' and noticed the headline "Special Feature: An Animated Discussion with Brian Lemay" . I was like What, can't be!?

This guy was my layout teacher in college. 2 years I had to listen to this guy go on about "I worked on Inspector Gadget, I did the character designs for Care Bears. He was such an a$$ (whispers the last word). Just reading the article brought up hostile feelings inside of me :mad:. All the other students would draw comic strips making fun of him, it became a regular thing (I think I still have some). I guess TFN was interested in him because he worked on Droids and Ewoks. There were more interesting teachers at Sheridan college, some had worked on the SW Holiday Special (1st appearance ever of Boba Fett, as well as Cosmic Christmas and Rome-0 and Juli-8.

I know I shouldn't use this forum to trash other people, and I'm sure I'll be reprimanded for it. But he was like the old english teacher in high school who thought he knew everything and always seemed to pick on ya. Or maybe that only happened to me?.

Anyways I'll stop ranting now, who am I to say anything about the guy anyhow, he's drawing cartoons for a living and I'm I build cars and draw SW for fun and glory, and I'm 31.[face_worried]

(I curl up into the fetal position and rock, while singing Elton John's 'Rocket Man' Quietly to myself)

this of course is a shameless up for my thread, sorry, ...er... it's the whole glory thing I discussed earlier

18. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    *sympathises*

I guess if all the good people prospered and the bad got what they deserved, we wouldn't need movies so much.

19. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    This digital painting started out as another exercise to get more familiar with Corel Painter but I ended up finishing it in Photoshop.

If it looks familiar that's cause I used a photo for reference, sorry I wasn't more creative.

Meteor?

[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/tauntaun2.jpg]

20. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Ooo, very cool painting!! You and wick seem to have a gift for making us feel cold when you render Hoth scenes--it really looks/"feels" cold! With the wind-driven "globs" of snow, and the soft, icy pastels, it's a beautiful depiction of that frigid environment! Well done! I'm especially loving the way the "meteor" is shooting down through the atmosphere--the heat and smoke trail on it is very realistic, and the bright splash of yellow is a wonderful counterpoint to the figure on the tauntaun (Luke?)--excellent balance here! Which photo did you use for reference, as I don't think I've seen one like this (a screencap, perhaps?)--and I use references for absolutely everything, so I'm not going to give you any sort of hard time about that, LOL! ;) Great painting, Ty--thanks for putting it up!

FF

21. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks FF. That whole scene on Hoth with Luke and the Wampa and all that is probably one of my favs of the whole Trilogy. Probably because I was 7 yrs old at the time when I first saw it. And it was a little bit scary for a 7 year old so it stuck with me. I was a bit of a wuss as a kid

Anyways I hardly ever use reference material, I usually just sit and draw. I should use more reference material. It would help me with things like doing better eyes or adding more realistic highlights or shading to my pieces. So I should start doing it more.

Anyways thanks again for stopping in.

My next SW piece will be a comic booky Slave Leia, hey, it was going to happen eventually the WIP is below, but first I'm going to finish the Superman piece I'm doing, it'll be a more clean and polished version of the one in my DA gallery.

[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/Sleia1.jpg]

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, man, I can just tell there's going to be a flood of replies for Slave Leia--finished or unfinished! lol! She's a very "popular" character, especially with the guys! ;)

I love her expression here--more the fierce, warrior-type look than the "damsel-in-distress" look--very cool! The drape of what fabric there is on her costume is also very good--this is going to look so great when you're done! Are you going to put her in Jabba's place (a sort of dark and murky background, with her highlighted against it, might look good...)? Can't ramble too much--got some RL junk that has to come first! Great start on Leia--can't wait to see it colored!

FF

23. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Those are both great pictures. There is a kind of gentleness to Luke on Hoth pic which reminds me a little of children's storybook illustrations - I guess it's because the colours are so nice, it's weirdly soothing.

The Leia sketch looks great, your figure drawing always looks cool. Love the pose, you never seem to have any trouble distributing the weight of the body naturaly.

Nice to see you posting regularly again.

24. wicktone

Dec 30, 2003
    I really like your hoth painting. It look very blistery, and I like the sketchy marks on the tauntaun and on Luke. The meteor is also very effectively rendered.

Beautiful choice of colours for everything; its seems like the whole landscape and atmosphere has frozen over with that grey-blue, which is perfect.

And one can never have too much slave Leia. I really like the weight and balance you gave her in the sketch. She really appears to be setting her whole frame down on the one hip, in a sort of devil-may-care body posture.

And for some reason, I wasn't aware you were on DA. I'll have to add you to me friend's list!

25. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Ugh, I finally finished a commission which took me a while. I haven't posted anything recently cause I felt bad doing my own stuff when I needed to get this commission done. Anyways it's done so back to doing "fun stuff".

I don't have anything Star Wars to post but I did do a couple of DC comics characters that I could share.

Batman
    www.deviantart.com/view/22736760

Superman
    www.deviantart.com/view/23088824

anyways hopefully I'll have slave leia done soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.