main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Artist Ty_Ordell's Fan Art - March 6th- failed Charity cards and new piece -Ahsoka

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Ty_Ordell, Jan 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, man!! I cannot wait to see this one done! I just love the expression on her face here, Ty--sort of a "You've got to be kidding me" kind of look! lol! I can just tell it's going to be awesome! Is this Illustrator again, or some other program? Great stuff!

FF

2. Ty_Ordell

Ty_Ordell Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 7, 2002
    Wow I can't believe the last time I posted in my thread was almost 3 months ago. I need to do better.

Anyways I finally sat down and finished my Aurra Sing piece. Once again this piece is completely done in adobe illustrator. Hope ya all likes.

Aurra Sing

www.deviantart.com/view/29008240

3. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    =D=
    Oh, yeah: I have to agree with all the comments in DA, that I'm betting on Aurra! ;) She may be outnumbered, but she's certainly a warrior not to take lightly (and I'd bet the Tuskens would severely underestimate her because of her gender alone...)! Great piece, Ty--is this version of Aurra one we've seen previously in your thread here...? She seems familiar somehow--but this "scene" you have her in is all new, and I like the way you've put some of her attackers in silhouette--it just further emphasizes Aurra, and is very effective compositionally. Great work, and we're glad to see something new! And Happy Valentine's Day!

FF

4. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Thought I would post a few things I did recently.

these first 2 are just quick sketches, that I colored even quicker.

This first one was a sketch I did for last months fanart challenge but once I colored it I wasn't happy with it so I never posted it. However I thought I'd share it with you now, since I'm a giver, it's just what I do.
    Jabba
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/jabba2.jpg]

Rancor
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/rancor.jpg]

This next one was from my Aurra Sing piece, I just took the Tusken Raider out and gave him his own frame. [:D]

Tusken Raider
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/tusken.jpg]

Here is a WIP concept Sith Witch design that I hope to finish sometime this year
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/sithwitch.jpg]

(no laughing at her boobies)

and finally an original Sci-fi concept style painting I did just cause I'm all freaky like dat.

Hunt for the last free Robot
    www.deviantart.com/view/29323288

Also does anyone know, is it possible to change ones 'username' here in the forum's. I would like to change mine to reflect my DA account. Anyone, Bueller?

5. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
  6. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    here is another rough sketche that will be cleaned up and colored

Reek Havoc[image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/reekhavoc.jpg]

7. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Very nice, as always, Ty :)

I'd actually like to know what your clean-up process for your work is... do you go over the line-work with a photoshop pen? I'm curious.

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    **gleeful dancing**
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]

WOW!! It's Christmas again here in Ty's thread!!

[face_dancing]

Great stuff here, my friend! How on earth did I miss Jabba...? I usually look into the Challenge thread even if I'm not able to participate--I can't believe you weren't pleased with this one, as it looks great to me! I love the look on his face in this one: sort of a self-satisfied, sleepy expression (too much of that hooka, perhaps...? [face_thinking] :p ). The casual drape of that right arm is great, and really conveys his relaxed state. Nice lighting here, too--very much like we saw in the movie.

Poor Oola...tossed in as rancor feed... Excellent light here, too--that gloomy and threatening den, rife with deep shadows and the huge, terrible things that lurk in them... I like the way you have Oola in the shaft of light from above, sort of spotlighting her against the murk, and then just enough of the beast to suggest its immense size--the long limbs and sloped neck and shoulders. Eeeesh...I can almost hear her screaming... **shudders**

Great Tusken, too (I remember this guy from the Aurra Sing piece!)--the classic pose with the gaffi stick. I really like the way you handle light in these more stylized pieces--very effective--and I love that blue sky there behind him. It's a great counterpoint to all the bright warm hues.

"(no laughing at her boobies)"

Aww!! Why not...? :p ;)

Madonna's famous "Iron Maidenform" finds yet another incarnation! [face_laugh] Really, though, I think it suits her (so to speak...)! This is an interesting take on what we usually see as the black-or-red cloaked Sith women--I could easily see this sort of power-hungry female taking full advantage of the armament/armoring available to increase her destructive capabilities. Her pale and hollowed features are perfect, and her slender form really accentuates the weaponry she's sporting here--I have to ask, though: is her lightsaber in one of those massive gauntlets? Along with the cannon and blasters and torches and shock grenades and...? :D This is one that's going to be great when it's done!

I have to say--I love "Hunt for the Last Free Robot" Ty--it's a powerful piece (to me, anyway), and has a haunting quality that stays with me: the robot's expression (in as much as a robot can have an expression) clearly shows its terror and desperation, as does its pose (scrambling to avoid destruction). The malevolent "hunters" in their nameless faceless ships, scouring over the devastated landscape, dropping more death and destruction from above... **shudders again** The light just makes that malevolence more intense, with the overall darkness, pierced by the raking searchlights and flashes of explosions. I really like this one--well done!

And your WIPS--more dancing!! I just love the Han and Leia one: Chewbacca, howling in agonized, frustrated protest, Leia's hand on Han's chest and the two of them just staring at each other with Vader lurking in the background--awesome work!! =D= I always thought that was one of the best scenes in that film, and you've captured every element that made it so! And a big wow on "Reek Havoc:" This one looks great already, and I can't wait to see both of these done! It's always so wonderful to see the initial phases of everyone's work--your lines are actually very bold as well as sketchy, and the energy of the piece is evident right from the start. Thanks for sharing them in this stage--it's great to see!

I feel like skipping through the rest of the day now--thanks tons! What a treat to find so much great stuff in here!

FF

9. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Wow, thanks FalconFan for the great feedback on each piece, I just like all the pretty colors!

ShrunkenJedi- I use a drawing tablet so most of my sketches are done right on the computer. I use photoshop and once I've done a rough sketch and I'm happy with the composition, I'll create a new layer and trace over it using much cleaner lines. Sometimes for inked comic-style work I'll convert the lines to vectors using adobe streamline and then clean up the lines more in Adobe Illustrator. Here is a link to a tutorial on this method. complabs.nevada.edu/~hefflin/inkingTut.htm

once the inked lines are cleaned up I'll bring the work back into photoshop for coloring. This sounds very time consuming and depending on the detail it can be. Sometimes I'll skip cleaning the lines further in illustrator but I don't get as clean a result when I don't.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice, Ty!

Your sketches are very expressive and full of movement. I find it neat to watch a drawing go from this stage and into the final piece. A lot of things change and that's great to see! And of course, I have to say I really like the Han and Leia one. That's a no brainer for me. :p

Aside from your sketches, I really love what you've done with that Jabba and Tusken Raider piece. The lighting and rendering stand apart from the other work you've done. Very cool! :D

11. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Aha! Yes, I thought it would be something like that; vectors had to be involved somewhere :p I use a tablet and use it to do my sketches, too, and I actually tried out that picture-translation property of Illustrator at some point, but haven't used it on my own sketches-- I was using it to simplify and vectorize some photos to use for something. Of course, now, my trial period is up :p

:) Again, excellent work, all of it!

12. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Here is another rough sketch for a piece I'm working on. check it out here..

The Agony of Defeat
    www.deviantart.com/deviation/29482514

My 5 yr old daughter doesn't call Episode 3 by it's title Revenge of the Sith
    she says "Daddy can we watch The Anakin gets burnt movie? I probably shouldn't have let her watch it, I'm a bad daddy.

13. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I love your Illustrator works, the lines and colors remind me so much of a style I encountered back in my high school days when I studied graphic design.

The Rancor piece is great as well, I like the composition and use of color to isolate poor Oola.

14. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    High school! You did graphic design in high school? we were lucky to get to use crayons at my high school.

Here is another rough Rancor piece. I did 2 different color variations, I'm not sure which one I like better. Maybe you guys can help.

Rancor 1
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/rancor3.jpg]

Rancor 2
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/rancor2.jpg]

15. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Can't believe why I've missed your thread. I'm sorry for that. :(

Your art is great! =D= Wow. [face_hypnotized]

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, man!! I'm so sorry I missed getting a comment in on "The Agony of Defeat" Ty!! What a magnificent piece: the colors the overhead view...most especially, the agonized expression on Anakin's face...it makes me hurt just to look at it... Stunning lighting here, and having him all alone, without the presence of the medical droids, Palpatine or any other living thing is a stark metaphor for the price he has paid for his choice... What a great piece... =D=

And the two rancor studies are great too (this was one of my favorite scenes in ROTJ--Luke confronting the beast, planning his actions and overcoming his fear--Go, Luke! **rah! rah!**
    I think I like the colors in the first one better--with the darker more ominous tones it seems more in keeping with the original sequence in the films (one of my foibles when it comes to art depicting movies I've already seen!). Again--I love the sketchiness of the lines in them--fast, but very strong and sure. One of the things I love most about your style, my friend! :D Great work, especially on "Agony of Defeat"--that's an awesome painting, Ty!

FF

17. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    I really gotta check in here more often...
    Absolutely love the style :)

18. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Here is the Han & Leia piece redux. This time I totally redrew Han and added Boba Fett in the Background. I do believe this was the first time I have ever drawn Boba Fett.

Han Leia ESB
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/hanleia.jpg]

19. Giolon05

Giolon05 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2005
    Hi Ty!

This is my first time stopping by your thread, and I really like your art style! Your sketches are definitely reminiscent of the Clone Wars series, but with a rougher edge and I like that. My favorite image is the one of Chewbacca holding the stormtrooper up by his neck quite a few pages back.

Regarding the rancor color choice a few posts above, I like the first one better.

Cheers!
    Gio

20. ShrunkenJedi

Apr 26, 2003
    Excellent :D

For some reason, I'm thinking Han's eyes are a bit wide, though, out of character? Maybe a little smaller or the lids down a bit...

21. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I split my days between high school and a trade school my junior and senior years. We got a lot of exposure to the work environment through my graphic design class (our assignments were pitches for actual paying jobs). This was back in the waning days of cut-and-paste layout, so most of the nifty skills I learned don't really apply anymore :)

Concerning the Rancor piece, I like the darkness of the first one, but maybe with a bit more lighting up front near Luke like in the second version. I'd keep Luke in dark coors, however. that way the light can frame him.

I like the new Han and Leia sketch. But did Chewie forget to put in his dentures? ;)

22. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    LOL about the "crayons in high school" comment, Ty! In my h/s we had a few more supplies than just crayons, but not much! lol!

The redux is great too--again, I just loved that scene, so it looks good in just about any form for me! I can't get over the wonderful bold sketchy lines you use--they add so much energy to your work. I've never in my life done anything this way, and I so admire those that can and do! :D You've never drawn Boba Fett before??!! AAACK!! How did you miss doing our favorite bounty hunter? And in your wonderful style, he'd look just awesome! I wanted to say, too, how much the eerie smoke adds to this piece, just as it did in ESB: the images of Hades (so to speak), ready to tear the lovers aparts... And as to Snuggle's question about "the dentures," I must agree: with his mouth wide open like that, I think we'd see all those sharp incisors and canines Chewie has. This, I think, would be something that could be corrected in PS/Corel/Illustrator, tho--it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to add some teeth...? This will be colored, yes? I love it, and think it's wondeful now--but your great coloring skills would make it look even better!
    **imagines all the hot, dark ominous coloring and drools in anticipation**

:D

Great stuff, Ty!

FF

23. Ty_Ordell

Oct 7, 2002
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I took some of your advice into consideration and have now finished the Han & Leia piece (at least as finished as it's gonna get). Let me know what'ya think.

There Will Be Another Time
    [image=http://photobucket.com/albums/v239/Hoogkamp/AnotherTime.jpg]

24. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh, yeah...there it is! =D==D=

I really like that you chose to use the cool blue for the deeper background here, Ty--it's a wonderful contrast to the warmer colors in the foreground, and to me it sort of accentuates the sorrow Han, Leia and Chewbacca are feeling in this moment. And look Snuggle! Chewie has his teeth! :D :p Leia's hand on Han's chest is just lovely--I don't know why that detail seems to stick out for me, but it does--it's just so poignant!--and the look on his face is so full of all sorts of emotion--love, sadness, resignation, reassurance... This is just wonderful (and I can almost hear Fett muttering "He's no good to me dead...")! Awesome work!!

FF

25. Basement24

Basement24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2005
    Fantastic stuff! I'm still looking through it all... I'm drawn to your Padmé in her wedding outfit piece though. It's very well done. Nice colours and general overall feeling to it. I can see why you say in your comments on it it's a lot of peoples favourite! :D Keep up the great work!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.