main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Typical ... (IMAX movies)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Buzz-Bumble, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzz-Bumble

Buzz-Bumble Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000

Transferring movies to IMAX format
    They close down the IMAX theatre here just as it looks like we could get Star Wars and other "normal" movies played on the really big screen. :_|

2. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I'm pretty sure they haven't dismantled the screen yet. I'm really hoping they find some kind of financial support for it, cause I really wanted to see the Lion King of Imax next year.

3. Lil_Lisa

Lil_Lisa Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    The big sign is still there right? I'd hate to see it go--watching SW on the huge screen would be too cool. :)

4. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    and/or LOTR!

:D

//images either all 6 SW movies or all 3 LOTR movies in a row at IMAX!//

//drolls//

:D

5. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001
    Isn't it "closed until further notice" ?

I think it would be a real shame if it was closed forever... :(

6. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

The IMAX screen itself has been closed down for good, but they still haven't decided what to do with the space yet (various rumors are around, including turning it into another conference centre).

BUT, if this new conversion process is as good as they say AND enough studios/directors allow them to convert their movies, then it MIGHT re-open, but I'd guess the cost of the conversion process will still keep the ticket prices too high to make it a worthwhile business in such a "small" city as Auckland. :(

7. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    I know. :( Stupid tiny Auckland. :mad:

8-}

Hi dArTh_wenley! Welcome! :D

8. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

DOH!!! :(

Told you this would happen ...

From the official StarWars.com website:

Episode II Coming to IMAX Theaters
    September 09, 2002

Size Matters Not -- Except on an IMAX Screen

This holiday season, Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones will be bigger than ever. Lucasfilm Ltd., The IMAX Corporation and Twentieth Century Fox have announced that Episode II will be coming to IMAX theaters in the United States and Canada starting November 1, 2002.

This is not just the projection of the standard theatrical print on an IMAX screen -- the movie will undergo the revolutionary IMAX DMR (Digital Re-mastering) process, which enhances the quality of the image and soundtrack to the huge IMAX 15/70 format. This marks the first time IMAX DMR has been used to re-master a film that was digitally captured and created.

"Star Wars: Episode II The IMAX Experience will provide an entirely new way to experience the Star Wars universe," says Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing for Lucasfilm. "For the first time, fans of Star Wars will be able to see all their favorite characters, environments, vehicles and droids in a setting that is up to eight stories high and over a hundred feet wide."

"The combination of Lucasfilm's innovative digital technology and the revolutionary, proprietary IMAX DMR technology will deliver the clear, crisp and sharp images and sound that IMAX theater-goers have grown to expect," says Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs for IMAX Corporation.

"You can't find a movie better suited for the IMAX format," adds Bruce Snyder, President, Domestic Distribution, Fox. "We are thrilled to bring this giant of a film to the giant IMAX screen."

Keep checking starwars.com in the coming weeks for more information about the IMAX release of Episode II.

9. dArTh_wenley

Dec 10, 2001
    That sucks.... :(

10. purplebabbit

purplebabbit Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2002
    just when they announce the planned release SW EP2 on IMAX, they close the Auckland Imax down :( It's already enough that we never get as much SW merchandise as US does...

*sigh*

11. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Well, here's what my brother says (he works almost next door to the Imax cinema complex ...
    It is still open (apparently). They occassionally play "normal" movies on the IMAX screen, and supposedly you can hire the place for your own occassion and play whatever you like...
    So we MIGHT still be in luck. :)

Maybe if we get together a big enough group we can get the Imax Episode II and hire the cinema ourselves - anyone here got a few hundred thousand dollars going spare?? :p

12. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    It says on that press release that it's only being released in US and Canada on Nov 1st, hopefully they'll have more info about international release sometime.

The other Imax release I would love to see is The Lion King, due out on Jan 1st next year.

13. dArTh_wenley

Dec 10, 2001
    There are no plans to distribute the Imax version of "Clones" internationally.

14. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

Not until they see how much money it makes anyway. :p

15. Kitt327

Dec 23, 2000
    Hey, Apollo 13 is one of my favourite movies! **sigh**

16. jediknight35

jediknight35 Jedi Youngling

Jun 14, 2002
    IMAX movies are the 70mm equivelent(sp) of art house movies,they always get distributed worldwide but it will take time.IMAX is still definitley available for hire,AOTC is an example.I flew all the way from Napier to watch it before everyone else.Man that trip ruled.It cost a $1000 all up,but it was worth it to see the crowd squirm in thier seats when Daniel Logan said his lines,they tried hard not to laugh after the applause.

17. Lil_Lisa

Nov 28, 2001
    LOL, I love how he said that "yep!" :D

I wanna see the OT at IMAX! :(

18. Buzz-Bumble

Nov 27, 2000

I see in the ForceNet News box at the bottom of the page that they're now already "considering" showing the IMAX Episode II in the UK - so much for US and Canada only. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.