main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Tyrant's Test," by Michael P. Kube-McDowell [Bantam, 1997]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by Errant_Venture, Jan 25, 2004.

?

"Tyrant's Test," by Michael P. Kube-McDowell [Bantam, 1997]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

10.5%
  2. 9

31.6%
  3. 8

5.3%
  4. 7

15.8%
  5. 6 (Average)

15.8%
  6. 5 (Average)

5.3%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

15.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
  2. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Tyrant's Test by Michael P Kube-McDowell

[image=http://www.theforce.net/books/images/bfct_tt.jpg]

Synoposis

Faced with an alarming image of Han as a battered hostage of the Yevetha, Chewbacca takes on an urgent mission. Meanwhile, Leia calls upon the Senate to take a stand and eliminate the Yevetha threat--even at the cost of Han's life. As a former Imperial governor takes his battle to the runaway Qella spaceship, Luke's continuing search for his mother brings him dangerously close to Nil Spaar's deadly forces. And as the Yevetha close in on the forces of the New Republic, Luke takes a desperate gamble with an invisible weapon. . .

3. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    I gave this book a 10.

It probably deserves a 9 because of Skywalker (again :( ), but the political, military and Han scenes really make up for it.

I loved the fact that Leia was willing to sacrifice her husband for the greater good of the galaxy and to bring the Yevetha to justice for their genocidal tendencies. She knew that Han's life was insignfigant compared to the lives of millions, if not billions of lives already lost or soon to be lost if they continued unstopped.

The battles in the book were well written and I could see the battle unfold in my head for a change. McDowell is a very good military and political author.

Also who could forget the best quote in the entire EU?

Han Solo: "You bastard."

As for Luke? Well he should've died or killed Akanah.

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    9/10

The best thing I liked about this novel was that we got to see things from Chewie's point of view, and that he actually had conversations rather than "What's that Chewie? You say that Timmy has fallen down the well?"

5. GeithJiseo

GeithJiseo Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2003
    1/10.

Boring and utterly forgettable. One of my least favorites. Not as bad as Vector Prime, but it's pretty close.

6. Saber_Leader

Saber_Leader Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    7/10

I enjoyed the Leia/Han/Chewie/NR fleet/war scenes a lot. They were well written and flowed well. Luke's little mission lowered the lower, as did LAndo's, to a lesser extent. Both of them could have never happened and the plot/future SW storylines would not be effected.

Overall, though, I enjoyed this book and the BFC series.

7. Grand_Duchess_Olga

Grand_Duchess_Olga Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002

Lando's little side adventure could been told with different characters here in this galaxy. Nothing really useful. So what if Luke used his new power of hiding stuff, that came in useful for the mystery ship? He could have shown off that power just as well by hidding a different planet with Leia as his witness, and that would have been fine. Also, more then 3 days must have passed in the mystery ship. How could Lando go so long without water? I don't think anywhere it was mentioned he had a supply. Somethings can be ignored, but that though always bothered me while reading the last two books.

I think adding Chewie saving Han (finally) was good. Nice to actually have Wookies doing something besides just being somewhere else.

To much info. about Nar Sales (can't remember the villian's name) and the mating rituals...

Last book in a series usually for me are not as good as the first.

8. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I just found the writing style of Kube-McDowell a little stiff (but I read it when I was ten), and the other usual comments and opinions (Luke and Lando pretty much unnecessary. Akanah- blah)

9. upchuda

upchuda Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2004
    The worst book of this series. Lando's story proves to be pointless and, in my opinion, very stupid. Luke continues to make un-Jedi-like decisions, and the end of that story is also a major let-down. The big culmination of the main story is also written badly. Here is a paraphrase: "The two mighty navies were lined up ready to fight what was sure to be a super-awesome engagement that would thrill people for years to come. The two sides fought. Lots of people died. The bad guys lost. The end." Kube-McDowell sure can ruin a good battle scene.

10. neeldawg66

neeldawg66 Jedi Master star 8

Mar 21, 2002

Good ending to a good series, the Luke story was the only drawback for the trilogy for me. I loved the Yevetha characters and thought that they were a welcome departure from some of the previous Imperial villians.

11. Errant_Venture

Feb 21, 2002
    Unlocked. Up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.