[u] [b]Shadows of the Empire Fans Unite[/b] [/u]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by muuurgh8150, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Alright. I've seen many posts about all sorts of stuff here such as NJO, Anakin Solo, and many other's. Now that's all fine and dandy, but In my opinion SoTE was the best Star Wars Novel there I've read. What's not to like. It's got action, adventure, and humor. It explains a lot, and really connects ESB and RoTJ. Plus who can forget C-3P0 flying the Falcon

So I'm creating a thread where SoTE fans can come and meet, and discuss SoTE.

So with that said... let it all begin.
  2. ash_shack_II Jedi Knight

star 2
    I loved it, having just read it last week for the first time, but I have one problem with it. It seems the author (I forget his name) likes to chop up his sentences. He often left off the subjects of the sentences. The predicates apparently used the same subject as the sentence before them, but I don't think that's legal, gramatically. I mean, I'm no English teacher, but it just doesn't seem right to me. Did anyone else notice that?
  3. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Yeah. The author (Steve Perry) did have a strange way of writing, but it was, in fact, grammatically correct.

I loved the novel (that's why I started this thread). My favorite thing was the whole Xizor vs. Vader theme to it. Both are trying so hard to win the Emperor's attention. It's so... I dunno... It's like kids fighting for their parents' attention, but I liked it. I also thought that it was funny how 3P0 flew the falcon at the end.
  4. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Muuurgh my dear friend I have to agree with you and say that SOTE is one of the most fun that can be found out of the overal star wars book experiance, :D.
  5. ash_shack_II Jedi Knight

star 2
    I do believe it was one of the racier SW novels out there, what with Guri and Leia and Xizor and all that. That's always a good thing. ;)

For me, having just read it but having played the awesome N64 game ad bought the toys and such, it was neat to finally read the novel and see how it all began, and how it all ties together. (whew, long sentence!)

6. Ceifer Jedi Master

star 4
    SOTE is the only SW novel that I read more then once so it's obviously one of my favorites.
    mattman8907 likes this.
  7. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
    There's only one thing about the entire Novel that "irked" me. Luke building his lightsaber. Now, It had to be done I know, but it's not the fact that he did it, It's how he did it.

Before I read Shadows of the Empire, I had listened to all the radio dramatizations about the OT. In RoTJ, Luke was also building his new saber. In it though, He was following the instructions just like in SoTE, but it wouldn't work. Finally he let the force controll him, and the lightsaber worked. I liked that Idea much more.

Plus the Radio Dramatization and SoTE conradict on the same topic. first of all the way the lightsaber was built, plus when. In the radio version, Luke built it right before leaving for Jabba's palace.

But, oh well. SoTE was still the greatest.
  8. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

I was first introduced to the EU via SOTE, and to this day, it still remains one of my favorites.

As a bit of a side note, I've heard several people comparing it's ability to capture the flavor and pace of the novels with SBS. Having not read any NJO, I cannot comment. But would any of you say this is a valid parrallel? Either way, the comparison has intrigued me and my anti-NJO stance is beginning to faulter now, I just might give in to the DARKSIDE!! :D

9. Face Loran Jedi Master

star 4
    Mark up codes don't work in the Subject lines, Muuurgh. :)
  10. Kast_Morben Force Ghost

star 4
    SOTE (all three incarnations) introduced me to the Expanded Universe. It is still the best SW book out there in my opinion and I would recommend it as the first for anyone who wanted to get into the EU.
  11. AdMiRe Jedi Knight

star 1
    I`ve been a huge SotE fan a long time, played the game, read comics,buyed toys etc, but I cant say it is the best SW-book out there.

I suggest you guys read the Hand of Thrawn trilogy...i think its even better than the movies. It totally rocks!!

But SotE is better at one point though, it`s got humor, and the one scene with prince Xizor and Leia, that is probably one of the better moments in the EU.

=)
  12. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Quote: "but I cant say it is the best SW-book out there."

I agree. In all honesty, I couldn't stand reading "Shadows". I couldn't believe it got so many good reviews.

Has C-3PO ever said shut up in the movies? I don't think so. But he does in this book.
    I didn't think Steve Perry did a good job at all with the characters--except for, maybe, Xizor and Vader.

The only thing that kept me reading this novel was Vader. Everything Perry did was so obvious to me. His writing style reflected what I was taught in English class since Middle School, sans the excessive, unnecessary fragments.

Steve Perry and Phillip Athans ("Baldur's Gate") are tied for the producing the worst leisure novels I've ever read in my entire life.

13. JediStryker Jedi Master

star 4
    I didn't like SotE at all. I think it was partially because it had been so hyped up by the time I read it, but I also could not stand Xizor. He was such a lame bad guy, IMHO. And his whole beef with Vader...couldn't stand it.

I didn't really like the characterizations, either. It was like going from ESB back to ANH. They had immatured, it seemed to me.

Anyway, that's my take on it. If I wanted to read a book between movies, I would go with SotME easily.
  14. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well, you guys don't have to like it. It's your choice. I still think it's one of the best.

Another of my favorite parts is when Vader temporarily turns back to the light side. It shows that there really was still some good in him. All the scenes with Vader were awsome, like the one where he's fighting the droids with the lightsabers.

I think this is funny. This is very rare, but there is a soundtrack to Shadow's of the Empire. And I mean for the book, not the game. The music is great. Some of it is actually used in the game, but not all of it. I would recommend it to anyone (if you can find it.) Mine was given to me as a b-day present by my ex-girlfiend.
  15. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    "I also could not stand Xizor. He was such a lame bad guy, IMHO."

I'm not talking to you anymore.

"Has C-3PO ever said shut up in the movies? I don't think so. But he does in this book."

Did Luke ever really go to the Dark Side in the movies ? He did in DE, though. And 'shut up' is totally realist for Threepio when he's talking with R2, at least. In fact, in my French copy he told him to shut up on Tatooine when they wanted to go to opposite direction. Not shocking at all.

16. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Did Luke ever really go to the Dark Side in the movies ?

Technically, no. But if you really think about it, he kinda did. When he "gave in" to his anger, and attacked the Emperor, He kinda did turn to the dark side. Plus when he's fighting Vader after Vader mentions Leia, Luke get's pissed, and we all know that anger is from the dark-side. He used that anger, and took off vader's arm. So in a way, he did go to the darkside in the movies.
  17. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Force Ghost

star 4
    One of the best books in the EU. Xizor was the most well written character in the EU IMHO.

Do ya think Steve Perry should write a NJO book? I would LOVE IT!!!
  18. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "Plus the Radio Dramatization and SoTE conradict on the same topic. first of all the way the lightsaber was built, plus when. In the radio version, Luke built it right before leaving for Jabba's palace."

Think the holywood use of "Compressed Time", with that trick you can fit all sorts of events between two scenes that occur off camera.

Kind of like all the battles that occured above the death star before luke's squadron went up to destroy it.
  19. wampa Force Ghost

star 4
    When I saw the title, it occurred to me that most topics with "...fans, unite!" in the heading appear in the EUC rather than this forum.

I thought the book was good, if a bit weird in some parts. The comic was pretty good too.
  20. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I, as of yet, have been able to find or read any of the SoTE evolved comics. I hear that they explain boushh's last job for the black sun in more detail. That would help me out a lot with a fan-fic I'm writing. if anyone know's the details of this "last job" please let me know.
  21. LanceJade Jedi Master

star 4
    Dumb question... but cant the SotE fans unite in the community forum?
  22. DarthWakka Jedi Padawan

SotE is probably my fav star wars book. Xizor was cool, i dunno what your talking about. I'm currently reading Heir to the Empire which many tell me is the best, but so far SotE is still my fav.
  23. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

Hey, everybody. Thanks for answering my SOTE-SBS question.

24. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    muuurgh : No Boushh in SOTE:E.
  25. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Just out of morbid curiosity, those of you who like the "Shadows of the Empire" novel, what are your ages?

To me, that novel seems fit for ages seven to maybe ten. There wasn't any impressive vocabulary, no imaginative scenes or anything that would stimulate a mind more sophisticated than the ages I mentioned.

But then again, I usually forget that I'm not as easy to please as most people.

By the way, that age question isn't meant to be an insult or anything. I'm really curious.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.