[u] [b]Shadows of the Empire Fans Unite[/b] [/u]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by muuurgh8150, Mar 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    First read it in 99, I think, when I was 17, read it again last year at 19, and still enjoying it. And I'm fine with it...
  2. DEWORE-DEWKNOT Jedi Knight

star 3
    SOTE is my favorite book. I have all but a few, but SOTE is the only one I've read more than once.

It seems more adult to me and I loved Vader.
  3. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Just out of morbid curiosity, those of you who like the "Shadows of the Empire" novel, what are your ages?

I, the author of this thread, am 17. I read this book over last summer Vacation for the first time. I still love it.
  4. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    Well first off I loved SOTE. It was a fun read.

Second, I was 18 when I read it the first time in 96.
  5. Darth Pikachuwbacca Jedi Master

star 4
    I was 14 or 15 when I read it. I wasn't too impressed. I thought the ending was good, and some other parts were decent. Not bad, not spectacular.

Threepio told R2 to "Switch off" in ESB, which is much worse that telling him to "shut up." I didn't think the characters were off either.

My biggest beef was that it spent too much time with Xizor doing business, which just bored me.

And I thought that they would confront Boba Fett at least once, seeing as how he made the back cover and all, but he wasn't even in the book. I was actually disappointed with that! And I hate Boba Fett (as a character he doesn't do much for me.) Odd. But that's not really a valid criticism, that's just based on my own expectations.
  6. Infiltrator Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I thought xizor's buisness was kind of cool.
  7. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    SOTE was a pretty good novel. Xizor was cool, Guri was, well, Guri, and Dash and the gang were great. It read like a cross between the Han Solo trilogy and X-wing.
  8. muuurgh8150 Jedi Knight

star 2
  9. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Dash Rendar fits in with Han Solo, Rik Duel, and all other similer smugglers gone before, :).
  10. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I have a question concerning the relationship between the Empire and Blacksun.

In the novel Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter, it was said that Sidious had instructed Maul to take Blacksun apart.
    Yet, in Shadows of the Empire, Palpatine is allied with Blacksun?

Why, during Old Republic times, did he command the destruction(/harassment?) of the criminal organization?

11. IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Master

star 4
    In the Darth Maul comic he pretty much destroyed Black Sun so that they wouldn't get in the way. Then Xizor at some point took over, and by then Palpatine was already in charge...
  12. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Yes, but why did Sidious want Blacksun destroyed only to fabricate an alliance with them later on?
    Was the eventual alliance a reluctant necessity?

13. Calli Force Ghost

star 4
    Maybe, he didn't like who was running it.

And I thought Xizor's business was interesting.
  14. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Sidious/Palpatine wanted Maul to throw Black Sun into disarray for a while, so that it did not interfere his plans during the invasion of Naboo. For that, he just asked that Maul killed BS' leader and his nine vigos, the rest of the organization had to survive.
  15. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Ah. Thanks, Xizor. :)

And, is Blacksun still operational?

16. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Well, it happened a long time ago, so I'd say no... ;)

Seriously, BS ceased to exist only at the end of the Young Jedi Knight series, according to the recent update on SW.com.
  17. Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    "Just out of morbid curiosity, those of you who like the "Shadows of the Empire" novel, what are your ages?"

16, and according to every teacher I've ever had extremely intelligent for my age.

"To me, that novel seems fit for ages seven to maybe ten."

Really? If I had kids I wouldn't want a 7 year old reading a book that includes someone *SEDUCING* one of the main characters...

"There wasn't any impressive vocabulary, no imaginative scenes or anything that would stimulate a mind more sophisticated than the ages I mentioned."

Ah, but there is. It's a little thing called a plot. And another little thing: he managed to make a mainly action/political intrique type thing have several humorous scenes.
  18. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    As I said, I'm not as easily pleased as some people... :)
  19. Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Understandable. I, on the other hand, am one of those people who starts liking a book as soon as I see "Star Wars" in the title :).
  20. Mister_Oragahn Jedi Knight

star 3
    It's one of my favorites ! I read it many times and it's still refreshing.
    Plus it doesn't bring EU oddities like Zahn's ones (ysalamri anyone ?).

And I love the YT-2400.
  21. Darth_Tayanvo Jedi Master

star 2
    I have just started reading this book. From what I have read, I am very impressed at how much it explains and the great details this book gives about what went on between Episodes 5 and 6.
  22. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Not to mention the best SW character... :p
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.