main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate U.S. is 89% energy independent... has broken its addiction to oil(?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Man this is exactly what this thread needs: car debates

2. KINGKONG83

KINGKONG83 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    Anyone me or otherwise who works finance/commodity trading for a living would tell you that oil will never cease to be the most important commodity until an equal source of energy has been discovered.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Exactly. High oil prices have the power to kill entire economies. And low oil prices have the power to kill entire economies. It's the kind of thing that could take out Vladimir Putin long before James Franco and Seth Rogan can get to him.

4. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Foreign oil, perhaps.

5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Sequel confirmed.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Foreign automakers aren't obliged to comply with U.S. fuel economy standards, are they?

7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm sure they are for vehicles sold in the U.S. Of course, they may have far superior standards.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but it's worth noting that the EU also imposed emissions targets on car makers, which is why luxury marque Aston Martin introduced the Cygnet.

I'm a big believer in competition in the energy market driving innovation and ultimately bringing more effective, cheaper solutions to consumers.

Solar, for example - it's plagued by issues in terms of the effective absorption rate being relatively low, and battery technology not being sufficient to maintain storage over time. However, we continue to see progress milestones in this space.

i.e. - http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jun/23/uk-and-germany-break-solar-power-records

Forget domestic oil.

yankee8255 likes this.
  9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Rise...rise! RISE FROM DEATH!

[And oil company is moving away from fossil fuels

Shell’s Sky scenario details a way in which the world can shift from oil to other technologies by 2070. The proposal suggests addressing growing global energy needs by moving to clean electricity like solar and wind, replacing gas guzzlers with electric vehicles – particularly semi-trucks – and focusing on fuels like biofuel and hydrogen.