main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

U.S. Presidential Election 2008- the General. Vote: Tuesday, Nov. 4

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Coruscant, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Point taken, Jello. Anyways, I'm over it already. Like, I said, just a thought experiment. I harbor no desire to overthrow government or hold a revolution.

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Um.... what? I know you're done with it, but I just wanted to say that this clearly isn't at all how American politics works. People get mad and they speak out because our country has the most liberal free speech laws in the world. That prevents the vast majority of uprising-type things that would ever have a remote possibility of even happening in, say, Europe. The closest thing we get are local riots like the LA riots. But seriously, mass marching on Washington is not even a vague possibility at all.

When I was just recently in Berlin, we were discussing with a historian there the fact that something like mass Nazi rallies is really unlikely to happen in the West anymore, largely because people just aren't that *bored*. It sounds silly, but honestly, there are a billion different things pulling people's interests in all sorts of directions. People care about elections, but much of the country doesn't even care enough about them to *vote*, little less to have an uprising over them. Frankly, people are just too distracted by other things to feel the need to join in some great political cause. It's a blessing and a curse all at once, but it's how the US works.

-sj loves kevin spacey

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You're a little late, solojones. There's no one left to argue with. :p

4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    So, this is moderately amusing.

5. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004

I saw a few signs today about yes or no to Capital Punishment.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Is that legitimate? I know that some Canadian radio jocks once pranked Chiraq and Queen Elizabeth II...

7. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    It's legit, yeah. These are indeed the same guys who prank called Chiraq, though I dunno about Elizabeth II.

8. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I think this may be remembered as the day that any legitimate chance for Sarah Palin to run for President was lost.

9. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001

That prank does not sit well with me. I may call Palin a dumbass for putting her own foot in her mouth (like many politicians do) but this was not a joke of her own making. While I am shocked as all hell that their screening process of calls seems to be a bit off track (which is the backbone of the joke), Palin truly trusted that she was getting a call from foreign leader she had never met. She did everything right in that phone call and now people are going to laugh at her for pretty much the wrong reason. Also that guy may have gotten a few people fired or seriously damaged their careers.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Incidentally, I'll probably be putting up the final thread in a few hours tonight.

11. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Jello, was that post meant for this thread?

12. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    Final thread?

13. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    The last thread ever made in the JCC!

Judgment Day has finally arrived. :(

14. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    This is the end for us. :(

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. This thread was for the general election campaign, but it'd be a bit too clunky to use for the the election itself. Having a separate final thread--especially for election reaction and vote counting--is important.

If people want, we can wait 'til the third to put it up so it's strictly a reaction thread, but yes--there will be a final election 2008 thread.

16. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah, this has happened in the Senate Floor as well.

17. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Ah, makes sense in context.

18. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Thank goodness. You scared the bejeezus out of me.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    It's been a riveting race up to this point. From watching people throw their hats in, wondering who in the world would be the Republican nominee, the nailbiter of Hillary and Obama, the pick of Sarah Palin, and now... the election itself.

Can't wait for the new thread! :) edit: or the "final thread", to use a term that has caught fire... :p

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

[face_laugh]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZkllM8znx4

21. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Greatest ruse since the War to End All Wars. :p

22. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Ahhhhh, the memories.

2008 L.A. Dodgers: At least they beat expectations!

23. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You may be right. And, frankly, it's sad that this would be that day, rather than the time she revealed her ignorance of the First Amendment, or that she can't name any Supreme Court cases besides Roe v Wade, or thought the VP was "in charge of the Senate," or was found guilty of abuse of power within her own state, or didn't know what a precondition was, or gave the most incoherent response in history when asked to offer her thoughts on the economic crisis, or suggested that we could probably go to war with Russia, or any of the half dozen other incidents that should've been completely disqualifying.

And, incidentally, Jello, you've just solved a major problem of mine. I guess all that remains now is to get writing.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
  25. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Yes Jello, that's how awesome you are. Simply by existing, you've rendered all life's problems obsolete.

You're voting for Obama, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.