main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    He actually gets paid to say this crap

Even for Bill O'Reilly, this is bad

He’s slipped under the radar while his Fox News colleagues steal the outraged limelight, but Bill O’Reilly is back with a bang.

The O’Reilly Factor host was discussing Barack Obama’s backing of NBA star Lebron James’s “I can’t breathe T-shirt” - the last words spoken by Eric Garner while he was choked by an NYPD officer - with Martin Luther King III, Martin Luther King Jr’s oldest son.

O’Reilly said he had no problem with Obama supporting the gesture but wanted more leadership from the president.

So far, so sane.

But then he suggested alternative T-shirts that black people might want to consider wearing, T-shirts bearing slogans like:

• Don’t get pregnant at 14
    • Don’t abandon your children
    • Don’t allow your neighbourhoods into free-fire zones

“That’s what the African-American community should have on their T-shirts,” he said. “Am I wrong?”

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/even-for-bill-oreilly-this-is-bad--xJ8SRjk_Yl

2. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    And some Fox News watcher probably thinks he's brave for saying what 'every white person is thinking'. I dunno about the abandoned children bit and the neighborhood bit, but when I was in high school I knew of 7 girls that were pregnant: 5 were white and 2 were black. Now, that's not scientific or representative, buuuuut...the 'Pregnant at 14' trope doesn't really seem to be just a black woman thing as he seems to think.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    And even in the weirdass alternate universe where O'Reilly and his stereotypes live, black people would not deserve to be profiled and murdered by police officers foe the same behaviors (or lesser behaviors) than white people commit and get away with.

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Agreed. The really crappy thing about Eric Garner's death was what he was doing is a non-violent offense which is given a fine of up to $7,000 dollars and didn't require him to be arrested. So the, "He broke the law," crowd are really saying that his death was warranted for breaking the law. I know people want to be tough on crime, but isn't death a little excessive? even in the fevered imaginings of these fools? Same goes for Michael Brown but in the case of, "He broke the law previously," and? I don't think that these people are really thinking when they bring that up. Does his previous crimes warrant being shot 6 times? You, me, and pretty much everyone else commits at least 3 felonies a day. Oops. Guess we all need to be shot 6 times. Good thing our police officers have a barely working knowledge of the law.

5. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005

This mother ****er.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    All valid questions, Noundy. Though I would add "don't provoke Police" and "don't sell untaxed cigarettes" to the list too. [face_flag]

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

remember when you used to defend his "gaffes"? :p

8. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Hey, we've all defended our share of mother-****ers at one point or another.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  9. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    you're just trying to distract me from your indiscretions by bringing up my own. quit Stalin' ;)

Souderwan likes this.
  10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Just to be clear, there isn't really any evidence that Garner was even selling cigarettes and he disputed it before he was murdered.

11. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    it's a stupidass law anyways. what is with all these stupidass laws?

Souderwan likes this.
  12. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001

Jeezy Creezy that's ridiculous. But no, it was totally his fault he had asthma and died. Everyone needs to be in perfect health at all times for if the police want to choke you for 'resisting' arrest.

13. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    That O'Reilly tho...

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and Souderwan like this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It is clearly not a law that the police should actively be trying to enforce. There are things that require their attention more urgently than one guy selling loose cigarettes. If he even was, how much could he have been clearing?

15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    If I marked up 50% everytime some bastard at work has bummed off me, I could retire.

16. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't he trolling 99% of the time though?

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    He's not trolling, he's pandering.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    And the other 1 percent of the time, he's getting interviewed by Jon Stewart.

19. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  20. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I did some digging on Cleveland. Not sure if this was discussed here earlier, but I didn't see it.

This is another case from Cleveland. This was in 2012 and involved two black residents, a man and a woman, Timothy Russell and Malissa Williams:
    The two drove past a police officer, who thought he heard a shot ring out from the car. He gave chase and ordered backup. The chase ended in a school parking lot. Surrounded by officers, Russell and Williams were killed by more than 137 rounds fired by 13 different police officers. One officer expended 32 rounds himself, reloaded a third clip, and then jumped on the hood of of the car and fired through the windshield and into the cab.
    Tim Russell and Malissa Williams were unarmed. Their car had backfired.

Six police officers were later indicted in the case and the families of Russell and Williams were awarded $3 million dollars for their loss.

Here's some links:

http://wosu.org/2012/news/2014/06/02/six-indicted-cleveland-chase-ended-137-shots-2-dead/

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2014/11/judge_approves_settlement_reac.html

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That is really sad and screwed up.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    jesus*******christ

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
  24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, any response I have would either earn me a ban for language or be illegible due to all the asterixes.

Abadacus and Juliet316 like this.
  25. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012