main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    “I believe there is a clear preponderance of evidence,” William Bastone, the editor of The Smoking Gun, told the Guardian. “We’d never have posted a story accusing her of perjury – and identifying her – if we weren’t 100% certain.”
    This, too, appeared to be corroborated by McCulloch. “There are people who came in and, yes, absolutely lied under oath. Some lied to the FBI – even though they aren’t under oath, that’s another potential federal offence.” He added that he had allowed them to testify anyway because he had felt “it was much more important to present the entire picture”.

Oh, well, I guess the D.A. is ****ing pissed and preparing a perjury c--

He said his department was not planning to pursue perjury charges.

[face_flag]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I need to look this up, but I read that McCulloch also helped raise money for Darren Wilson.

ETA: Double checked; he did not raise money directly for Wilson but his chairmanship in the Backstoppers organization still looks like a conflict of interest in this case.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    But guns, self defence and no racism issues.

If you don't let the racists who weren't there testify in a way that suuports what they want to see how will the police ever get away with killing a black person without being questioned.

Think of the rights of the racists!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    It's wrong also that I feel like cheering just because the prosecutor actually sought and obtained indictments against these people, like this was some groundbreaking achievement. I guess it is, but that is of itself wrong.

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    I have to say that I'm glad to see that this at least is a stronghold of sanity...in other forums/papers I read, dear God, the commentary is appalling. :(

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    God can't help you now.

7. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001

The quickest way to lose faith in humanity is to read the comment section of any political article and that DA in Missouri should be out on his ass or behind bars for knowingly allowing perjury into the grand jury proceedings. In fact, he broke the state's code of conduct and should be in jail.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The thing that makes me raise my eyebrows is that this says there was a chase:

A. Why was there a chase? Not that I'm trying to justify the ridiculously disproportionate response...
    B. Was it a "chase" like the other linked article's account of "resisting arrest?"

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I don't know. The two articles mention a chase. One mentions the officers claimed Russell tried to run them over and that's why they fired so many shots.

10. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Breaking story: two police officers shot dead in their police car in Brooklyn. The shooter is also dead, apparently of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
    This is an ongoing story, so it's not clear yet what the motive was, or even what race the shooter was. I would say it's probably not even relevant to this thread, except for the reactions I'm seeing on Facebook from some conservative people. Some of them are quite horrifying.
    [A meme-style image of a police officer with the text overlaid: "This is why we shoot you guys"]
    etc.

[face_plain]

11. Sauntaero

Sauntaero Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 9, 2003
    Very successful protest at the Mall of America today: http://www.mprnews.org/story/2014/12/20/moa-blacklivesmatter-protest

Only a few arrests, well after the main protest. Lots of police in riot gear, as families were going to visit Santa makes for great messaging. Details are still unclear about who ordered it, but at least the lower level was emptied, stores locked up, entrances blocked. The protest simply continued outside. According to MPR, by 4:15 pm, the mall was deserted on the busiest shopping day of the year. Powerful message, and effective protest. From the fb photos I've seen, there were A LOT of people there.

Jedi Merkurian and Souderwan like this.
  12. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Rogue_Follower - why the need? I'm sure some of the dredges of Twitter will be brought to light over the next few hours with examples of people celebrating and condoning these murders, too, and then they'll labeled "liberals." Something awful happened, and the people who use anonymity to be disgusting behind a screen, in any way, are awful - leave it at that.

The focus should be the story, not crazy people's reactions to it.

13. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Protests are useless

14. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

why even report it at all if its not having an effect on people's thinking?

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Unless they are accompanied by violence, as recent events like the Gamonal protests in Spain showed. Then they are a tremendously effective political weapon.

Lord Vivec and Rogue_Ten like this.
  16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

But we both know that it doesn't end there, it just turns into fringe media outlets citing examples of awful people saying awful things behind their monitors, and trying to pass them off as mainstream right or left wing. It's a tiresome exercise, and predictable.

17. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    heels1785 - Fair. These extreme calls to violence are outliers, and as I've been reading further, I have also seen comments on the opposite end of the spectrum, ones suggesting the NYPD deserved this.

(Though one quibble: I would point out that because this is Facebook, these posts are not anonymous. People are saying these things under their real names, in public.)

heels1785 likes this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Rogue_Follower - re- Facebook, that's a good point, and my mistake.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If what CNN is reporting is true, it may very well be relavant to this thread, unfortunately.[face_plain]

20. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    I just wish the guy was caught and could face justice instead of just offing himself. Absolutely tragic.

21. JediSmuggler

JediSmuggler Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 1999

What did you EXPECT would happen as a result of the Big Lie that "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" was?

You didn't pull the trigger, but IMHo, you sure as hell helped spread the gasoline around... just waiting for the spark.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Are the protests also to blame for him shooting and severely wounding his girlfriend as well?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  23. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    LOL. How is that white powder Smuggler, snorted some eh?

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *white power

ShaneP, CT-867-5309, Drac39 and 6 others like this.
  25. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Just for the records, Jedismuggler was the same guy who personally blamed DorkmanScott in a senate thread for someone sending fake anthrax to his neighbors wife or something like that, so this isn't the first time he accused a JCer of stuff like this.