main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I find it odd that the cops shot weren't white and yet the people complaining the loudest are white. And it's odd that NYPD = white police, when it's...well...New York. I guess the authoritarian jock sniffers are thinking it's their turn now.

Abadacus and Souderwan like this.
  2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    It's lowest common denominator tribalism. Also helps explain why the shooter's third victim is getting next to no attention, and certainly not from the NYPD.

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Not to disagree with the point that the guy's ex-girlfriend was also a victim here... but the reason she isn't getting any attention from the NYPD may have to do with the fact that she was shot in Owings Mills, Maryland.

4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    It is incredibly diverse! I see two middle-aged white guys with facial hair. I see another senior white guy with gray hair. Then I see two other near middle-aged white guys with dark hair.

5. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

I would like to think that the place of her death should be comparatively irrelevant, particularly if they're truly interested in justice.

Souderwan and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  6. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/12/21/3606040/rudy-giuliani-2-nyc-cops-were-killed-because-obama-told-everyone-to-hate-the-police/]Rudy[/url] knows who to blame

See? It was Obama all along. And Deblasio. They told people to hate cops. Oh, and black on black crime is the real menace here. This all would be really ridiculous, but the logical conclusion to this line of thought is a police coup. Instead of being rational human beings, the NYPD is overly sensitive when it's one of their own that dies and they could really give a **** when it's a civilian. The problem with this is that they fail to realize that it was the fact that nobody has been held accountable in the recent high profile killings of black men and teenagers that caused the two officers to be shot.
    But no, it's the, "Dem damn darkies should be grateful we're there and they should stop killing each other," BS that keeps cropping up. I also hate to point this out, but American gun culture contributed to this shooting as well. I suspect more than a few of you will go, "LALALALALALALALALALALA! Can't hear you!" When someone points this out, again.

Has she died, though? Last I heard she was in the hospital.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Obama is telling people to hate cops and he's trying to take our guns?

Damn.

This is all happening before breakfast too, amirite?

Drac39 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    But Canker-blossom can be such a fun insult to use in any situation!

Edit: KnightWriter - as of right now, the shooter's ex - girlfriend is still alive, which may also be why the media isn't paying much attention to her right now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    As others have said, she's still alive and expected to stay that way.

Also, I don't think that's how jurisdiction works.* The NYPD does not investigate shootings that happen 200 miles away, in another state. The local police do. I'm sure there's a great deal of communication between the police departments in a situation like this, but the NYPD are not the ones in charge of the Maryland part of the investigation.

*Though I suppose that hasn't stopped the NYPD before.

10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Until the NYC police force owns up to it misdeeds and violence committed against all New Yorkers they will have a target on their back. And no one will give a damn or talk if they see something.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    *hits beezel's nose with a rolled up newspaper*

beezel stop. bad posting.

12. wall of sick

wall of sick Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 9, 2014
    i can sleep!

13. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001

My error on her current status, but even if she had died, I still don't think there would be much attention being paid. Certainly not by the NYPD, or by most outside commentators. Whether it's in their jurisdiction or not, it's good sense, good politics, and the decent thing to do in general to send good thoughts out to her for her recovery and express regret that she ever had to be involved in the first place. Or maybe it doesn't matter to them since it's outside their tribal boundaries.

Jedi Merkurian and Juliet316 like this.
  14. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    There are bad people in this world. We as a society do our best to condemn and turn them over to the authorities. We do our part to make sure justice and civility for all. The police need to do the same. As long as they refuse to acknowledge those bad cops and do everything in their power to reject them they will be painted with the same brush as the bad. They know this but their arrogance and brotherhood prevents them from making themselves apart of a community instead of above it.

15. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002

That picture is both hilarious and disgusting at the same time.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I honest-to-God thought that photo was a shop when I first saw it because only some kind of internet joker having a laugh would put that disgusting slogan on a hoodie in comic sans. But after some reverse image searching and reading the NY Daily News article. Yeah, they're real. Holy ****.

But on a weird note:
    [​IMG]

spring break clip art

17. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    People who slam white cops for being racist against blacks would do well to remember it cuts the other way as well - as much as they might deny it and the fact these cases almost never pop up in the media.

Gilbert Collar and Trevis Austin.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  19. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    I worded my initial post poorly and I apologize. What I meant to say is that while there are plenty of cases where white cops kill black men, they shouldn't ignore that black cops kill white men too.

20. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    You're misdirecting. The conversation isn't "white cops kill black men, full stop." The conversation is "cops [generally - not just white cops] are more likely to use excessive force against black men, often leading to their deaths, because of systemic racism." When you look at the conversation fully, then we actually should ignore "black cops kill white men too" because it's completely irrelevant.

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

22. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Stiull, you can;t deny that black cops kill white men as well. It's beyond the purview of this thread, true, but accusations of racism against white cops irk me because those people act as it that's all that's important, when black cops can abuse their authority as well, so come off it.

23. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
  24. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    You heard me.

25. Boba Nekhbet

Nov 30, 2014
    (And also strawmanning.)