main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. UNLIMITED POWER

UNLIMITED POWER Jedi Padawan

Sep 20, 2012
    Here we go again.

2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    beezel you dont know anything about bikers or about anything. stop it

Diggy and harpua like this.
  3. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    HE DOES ROGUE TEN TRUST HIM

Rogue1-and-a-half and harpua like this.
  4. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    he's prob watched at least two seasons on son's of anarchy come on

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Huffington Post link to the story.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You should make the apostrophe your new thing.

7. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    real talk down here in Tucson we get the same thing (racism down here gets like zero attention 'cause we're like the forgotten corner of the country plus in America we view it as rich white people vs. poor black people and everyone not in those categories gets ignored but that's for a different thread). did you all see that video of the guy down here getting run over by the police 'cause he was walking around with the gun? now, the gun was stolen but that's besides the point. you don't run people over at high speeds for stealing stuff, this was about the gun.

of course this is a thread about black men not what I'm talking about, but I bring it up because they are connected. white dude walks around with gun= exercising first amendment. someone who is "other" walking around with a gun= a threat. this double standard is infuriating, especially here in Arizona with lax open carry laws. now, I oppose lax gun laws and am not fond with anyone walking around with a gun regardless of who it is. but I get so pissed listening to the same people who brag about their freedom to openly carry a weapon jump on the police's side when the police run someone over because "those people" are threatening when they do it "unlike us". if you're going to support lax gun laws, you better be consistent with it. don't go up and say "howdy neighbour" to your white friend with a grenade launcher or some **** and then be okay running over someone who is "threatening" to you because they too were openly holding a gun.

8. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Sometimes I like my high taxes in NY. That means that with my high taxes comes common sense in the population and the govt.

9. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    “Mr. Brown’s death was an unfortunate tragedy… after a thorough investigation it was determined that his death was caused by a pre-existing medical condition.”
    Yep. Sounds about right. Seems that my uniform might not provide me any protection after all. Disgusting.

Edit: Side note on the administrator that was yelling at the student about harassing here because he was using the waiting room as a waiting room. She means nothing in the grand scheme of things. That to me falls into the category of micro-aggressions I've talked about several times in this thread. It may be a more extreme version, but many people of color get stuff like this every day in one form or another. They are frustrating because they may or may not have anything to do with our skin color and you can never know (any more than you can know that a cop is more scared of you because you're black). But in the end, she's not depriving you of life or liberty--she's just making you feel badly. As terrible as that is, I personally have bigger fish to fry with my outrage.

10. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Dude, black seaman and marines have been getting lynched for looking at white girls. Do you really think would have changed at all in Texas.

11. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Plus you are from the nice part of Virginia. The part that isn't completely racist. The part that wishes it was above the mason Dixon line. Or apart of Maryland.

I lived in the other corner. It wasn't safe for any black, Asian, or New Yorker.

Incidently, if you are traveling down 81 then stick to the speed limit. You get harassed by cops for anything above it during the day.

12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Actually, it has changed quite a bit in the last 50 yrs, beez. The police forces and the "conservatives" love to laud the importance of military service and are generally pretty deferential. The most tense times during a stop for me are the seconds between the cop pulling me over and me showing him my military ID. Usually, after that, things calm down quite a bit.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    dude, my brother in law is a cop down there and he is just one of the many racist bastards.

I should say, soon to be ex brother in law. And he wasn't nice at all. If you get stuck down there be careful.

His mother espoused David Duke and the clan twenty years ago the night before the wedding. Totally screwed up. I was in NY so it was ok.

14. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh, I'm always careful when I get pulled over. I'm not stupid. I was just saying that it's better than it was 50 yrs ago. Not that it's exactly good now.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
  16. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I only have a few minutes, because of a combination of work, school, and family.
    That video has been making the rounds on several of the firearm blogs that I follow. Bearing Arms has some additional context to it that highlights some of the issues with it.

The short version is that with regards to the white man, he is well known to the police who responded to the call about him. He has had (and filmed) many interactions with the police over the years, some of which were as peaceful as the one shown, and others were not.

The two stops also happened in very different jurisdictions. The white man was stopped in Albany, Oregon. The black man was stopped in Sparks, Nevada.

I agree that the treatment of the black man was horrible, but I have issues with both cases. Specifically, the police had no justification to stop either of them. In both places, carrying a gun, even a rifle, is legal unless you are a prohibited person. Even if the police received a "man with a gun" call, having a gun in and of itself is not a crime, nor does it automatically suggest that you are about to commit (or have committed) a crime. Unless the officers saw something else to suggest that either man had committed or was planning to commit a crime, they should have looked at them and them moved alone. At most, they should have attempted a voluntary encounter (i.e. strike up a conversation with the open carrier, much like in the first case, but not as combative about the subject), but that's it.

A person who is engaged in a legal activity should never be detained by the police unless they have specific reason to believe that they are involved in criminal activity. Merely carrying a gun (even a rifle) where that is legal does not provide such a specific reason.

LostOnHoth and jabberwalkie like this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Sorry for the double post. I'm on my mobile device. Welcome back to the discussion, Kimball_Kinnison [face_coffee] I'd love to hear your thoughts on this :

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  20. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    And they wonder why I have no hope for the U.S.? This country is ****ed.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That can't be happening. Obama's election means that racism no longer exists.

22. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It doesn't! The guy who posted that has said it's not racist. He also calls women whores. And is christian.

Abadacus, Drac39, CT-867-5309 and 2 others like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, the last bit is voided by everything else about his life.

Juliet316 and Valairy Scot like this.
  24. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Jedi Merkurian

I will try to reply when I can, but as I said, I have a full plate right now in real life. (Grad school semester just started, big project for work, family commitments, etc).

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    His loving wife agrees with him that women are whores, and he has black friends who enunciate and hate Obama as much as he does.