main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "Race" Relations (was "U.S. Society and Black Men")

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Aug 11, 2014.

1. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    As expected, Chris Rock pulled no punches in his opening monologue for the Oscars. In particular, I like this:

"Is Hollywood racist? You know, that's a, you know, you have to go at that the right way...Is it burning cross racist? Is it fetch me some lemonade racist? No."

"You're damn right Hollywood's racist. It's not the racism you've grown accustomed to. Hollywood is sorority racist. It's like, 'We like you Rhonda, but you're not a Kappa!'"

2. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    That Stacey Dash joke was the funniest bit of the show. Shame that no one in the audience seemed to get it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  4. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Unfortunately I think a lot of the good will that could have been generated by Rock was completely ruined by his incredibly racist Asian joke.

solojones and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    It's the fastest way to change your race's circumstances: deflect racism to other races.

6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Trump was claiming not to know who David Duke was after the latter endorsed him. It's disturbing how Trump courts the support of many neo-Nazi and KKK-types. He used to condemn Duke, at least shallowly, during 2000. Trump is all over the place as long as he feels that it will make him popular among some sick-minded people. People do the same kinds of awful things to become popular in high school, restaurants, and the like. The Hispanic and African American people on my Facebook friend list almost unanimously despise Trump. I'm certain that the Hispanic consensus in the population will unite to wrest the general election away from him. I can only hope that this election brings another nail in the coffin of racism. We've been nailing it too slowly, and we need to pick up speed.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

I love how it was basically just highlighting how these stereotypes exist in Hollywood but Americans, who are stiff and joyless ****ers, decided to miss the point (to be fair, it employed irony which doesn't translate well there) and get offended.

The fact he followed up with the point about the phone underlines it; it's faux manufactured outraged by people wanting to be seen to hold the correct views.

Terrible people.

8. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
  9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Though the guidance of my Faith calls for me to shun partisan politics, I thought I’d use the current political climate to discuss the notions of “race” and “white privilege” in the form of a thought experiment.

I want you to imagine a black candidate for elected office. Over the course of several months, this candidate had expressed longing for a return to the days when protesters would be hauled away on stretchers, had bragged about his penis size, had received vocal support from organizations like the Nation of Islam and individuals like Louis Farrakhan –support that was not *immediately* rejected and disavowed, whose wife was from an African nation and who’d recently published nude and/or near-nude photo spreads, who had responded to a female journalist’s questions with insults about her biology and physiology, whose supporters had assaulted protesters, and the candidate had responded by saying that he would pay the legal bills of any supporter who assaulted a protester.

Now imagine what our collective response would be towards a black candidate who had done ANY of those things, let alone ALL of those things. Compare that response to where we are today, and tell me again how “white privilege” is a myth…

10. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Now that I think about it, if a black candidate's speeches consisted of lots of shouting and rhetoric about a "revolution," that candidate's career probably wouldn't last very long either.

TX-20 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A friend just shared this on Facebook and some of it is over the top, but the basic premise of it rings true:

White privilege is being able to choose to be paranoid. People of color, given recent events and rhetoric, often have reason to be.

White paranoia, persecution and privilege

12. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Where is the U.S. Society and White Men thread? Y'all are a bunch of reverse racists!

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000

While I agree that people with fake outrage just wanting to complain about something are terrible, can't there be any level of real offense taken or questions asked about that joke? Look, I adore Ricky Gervais tearing everyone apart at the Golden Globes as much as the next person. But Chris Rock's joke about Asians wasn't funny.

Now I wouldn't say I was "outraged", either. I just thought it undercut his other jokes. It was bad comedy in many ways. It aimed for Ricky Gervais but landed on Dane Cook instead. Am I allowed to be annoyed that it just wasn't funny?

I have a little different perspective on that whole thing, though, because while I perfectly understood why the black community was upset about the all-white nominations (even though as discussed in the Oscar thread, it's more a problem of lack of roles for POC than anything)... I just kept wondering over and over, "Why does everyone keep talking about how no black actors were nominated? Why isn't this about how no actors of color were nominated?" The Black community certainly has a very special history of oppression in the United States considering that at least most Hispanic or Asian-Americans came here because they wanted to be here. The history of outright slavery creates a deep scar on the black psyche, and that's understandable.

Still, it really bothered me that I saw very, very few black actors or commentators pointing out that this was an injustice to Hispanic and Asian Americans as well. And where was the talk about how a film that actually featured several First Nation and Native American actors only had white nominees?

The whole ceremony was crafted to pander to the black community. To an insulting degree at times ("Fight the Power" over the end credits, really old white producers?"). But there are more Hispanic-Americans than Africa-Americans. Not to mention that in California, where most films are produced and where the vast majority of Academy voters live, there are more Hispanics than white people! If I had been a Hispanic actor in that room, I'm sure I would have felt pretty left out of the whole conversation.

I guess this just brings up a broader question I have, and maybe some of our Black posters can address this... how do we balance the similar but also unique challenges of different communities of color? There are still tensions between different groups of color for one thing. But also, do you feel a responsibility to be concerned with problems facing all non-white Americans? Or are you naturally disposed to look at things through the lens of your own culture simply because that's what your perspective is?

I just sometimes feel kind of confused and also sad about the fact that, for instance, every kid in America has heard of Martin Luther King Jr. (as well they should) but very few adults even know who Cesar Chavez was (more's the pity, considering the man ended a type of slavery in 20th century America). I'm not suggesting we hear too much about the issues facing the black community, but merely that I wonder why we don't hear as much about other communities of color. And wonder how African-Americans here feel about their race relations with groups other than white people?

15. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    That is such a great question. I wish I could answer it. I don't think that having an ancestor who survived the Trail of Tears makes me qualify, however. That probably wasn't the only thing she survived, I'm sad to say.

16. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So the "common wisdom" raised by people is that it's not race, but class that determines one's interactions with law enforcement, right?

Guess again.

A new study concludes that poor white kids are less likely to go to prison that rich black kids.

Also, this is from a nearly 20 year old interview, but it's being re-published as part of a new article: Top Nixon aide says that the "War On Drugs" was manufactured in order to target blacks and hippies. Here's a quote:

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  17. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    So about rewarding people based on merit, being "colorblind," all that stuff; there's a study from the Harvard Business Review that suggests that women and minorities get penalized for promoting diversity. A few excerpts:

In other news, here is an informal poll that a friend of mine came up with on FB: Please name me a popular (non-spinoff/sequel/re-boot) TV show or movie where an ethnically and gender diverse group of people working as a team are led by someone other than the oldest white male on the team.

18. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Sorry for the double post, but I just came across this:

It would appear that if you're black, yelling at the (unmarked) car that almost ran you over while you're a mailman delivering the mail is now a crime. Oh, and by the way:

solojones and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I read that one yesterday. It's kind of sad that I don't feel any sort of shocking reaction to this type of crap anymore. It's more like same ****, different day.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    "The person is described as a black man..." ****ing Christ. [face_plain]

[​IMG]

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The Revenant was the first time I had seen Native American actors playing Native American characters on the big screen in . . . a really long time.

I still like to think that they thought that was an N.W.A. song.

One interesting thing about the POC question and the Oscars is that this was the third year in a row that a Mexican won (and, I might add richly deserved to win) the Best Director Oscar.

solojones and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    [​IMG]

23. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess any black man will do.

Jedi Merkurian and TX-20 like this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    They all look alike, amirite? :rolleyes:

25. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    My favorite thing is that it's about any black man engaged in any "suspicious activity" anywhere in the entire county. What?!