main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph U2 fan discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Bria, Apr 17, 2001.

1. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    Ok, now that I've posted to the JC Community a bit, I thought I'd start my own thread here. :)

Being a child of the '80s, I grew up hearing U2 on the radio. From With or Without You to Who's Going to Ride Your Wild Horses to Beautiful Day, they have been a staple on my local radio stations and I've always enjoyed the group. Since their most recent album though, I must say I have gotten more and more into them. What a great band with wonderful songs and powerful messages. I own the albums All that You Can't Leave Behind and U2: The Best of 1980-1990. I thought I'd start this thread to hear from other U2 fans and to see what everyone likes.

So...

1) How long have you been a fan of U2?
    2) Which song (and from what album) is your favorite?
    3) Why is it your favorite song?

1) explained above ;)
    2) All I Want Is You from Rattle & Hum

3) I've always loved the song. The different images, especially the harbor in the tempest are great and the underlying theme of being interested in only one person just makes this a romantic song for me.

I also really liked If God Would Send His Angels which is on U2's Pop album, but can also be found on the City of Angels soundtrack. I loved the movie and I loved the song.

~*~Bria

2. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999

I've liked them for years, but I didn't really become a fan until a few months ago.

I'll have to listen to more of their albums (I only have "The Joshua Tree") to really answer those questions.

3. Red-Seven

Red-Seven Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 21, 1999

I've probably been a *fan* since 1996 or so...I was a late bloomer. I always knew their music, but really got into them in college when I had a chance to see their body of work...and realized how artistically talented they were. Now, I'm a diehard.

WAY too difficult. It changes every day.
    Just to be provocative, I'll say 'the Fly' from Achtung, Baby.

The Edge's innovation in guitar song-writing is supurb. I loved what they did with distortion on that album, and that song is just the one that is the best example.

Other favorites are: 'A Sort of Homecoming' (UF), 'New Year's Day (live)' (UBRS), 'Where the Streets have no name' (especially live), and 'until the end of the world' (AB).

4. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999

Since way before I can remember. I have the vynals of Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. I guess, since 85 I have been a fan.
    I have all their albums.

Too many to choose. I guess my fave song is Stay (far away so close)

It is just a beautiful song and it has such a great melody and beat. It also reminds me of angels, from the Wim Wenders move of the same name.

4) Best album. (I added this one. Should be here:

Best album is a tie between Rattle and Hum and the Zoo Tv duology: Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I consider it a duo because they are meant as sections of a whole, Zooropa consisting of songs that never made the Achtung Baby cut and performed on tour anyway.

5. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Great idea son_of_the_tear.

Question 4 is What is your favorite album?

I can't really say, as I only own one original albume, ATYCLB, but I can say I do thorougly enjoy it. :)

I haven't had the pleasure of hearing Achtung Baby, but my friend Jo has it and swears it's there best work. I hope to borrow it when she's home from college for the summer. :)

~*~Bria

6. viper_stew

viper_stew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 14, 2001

Bria

i've loved U2 since 84

i have all there CD's except the last one.

I'm going to see the concert this friday and if they blow my mind AGAIN, then i will by their last album.

7. Maul KenObi

Maul KenObi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 1998
    I'm not a hardcore fan, but I've liked many of their songs for many years

2) Which song (and from what album) is your favorite? One from Achtung Baby

I got many good memories attached to it, its a good song

I can't just say one song so here are some of my other faves:
    Stay Far Away so close (Anyone heard the Smashing Pumpkins version? Its awesome)
    Numb
    Sunday Bloody Sunday
    Everlasting Love
    Sweetest thing (which I wrote for my girlfriend and gave to Bono when he called me and asked if I had a song for him he could use...he'll deny it but it's true :) )

8. Bria

May 15, 1999
    viper_stew-

:_| Another jc member who gets to go to the Elevation concert. :( I'm happy for you, I just wish I could go. I however am broke, the show is sold out, and the only way to get tickets is to win them, which is next to impossible when I spend my the contest hours at work or school and not near a radio.

Very cool for you though. :) I'm sure it will be a blast. I heard Pop was. ;)

~*~Bria

9. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Same here. Here in Philly, tickets for all 3 shows got sold out withing minutes.... back in may and the show aint till June!

Anyway, Bria, if you plan on listening to a lil Zoo, get Achtung and Zooropa and listen to both one after the other, it is a must.

And if you can, also try to get a hold of Kiss me, thrill me, kill me. Another song cut from Achtung Baby but released on the Batman soundtrack.

10. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    4) Achtung Baby

Definitely their best work...but not by much. Unforgettable Fire is close behind, and then everything else. Everything they do is high-quality...and very different.

sott: Stay is a GREAT 'walking home from the bar at 3 AM and singing with your friends' song.

Bria, if you're strapped for cash, just borrow as much as you can from your friend. Everything U2 is worth a listen...and I'm also going to the shows on this tour. I saw POPmart in Philly.

MKO, U2's cover of 'Everlasting Love' rocks!

11. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    1. A couple of weeks :)
    2. I only have their newest album right now, so I don't have much to go on, but my faves from it are "Beautiful Day" and "Walk On."
    3. I love the music, I love the lyrics--they are just great songs.

12. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    Jeff: glad you found U2! If you like ATYCLB, you should really try to pick up more U2. All of it is just as good, if not better!

viperstew: just get the new CD. It's great, and you KNOW you're going to get blown away when you see them anyway!

13. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    "4: What is your favorite album?"

The Joshua Tree, since it's the only one I have. But it's really good, even though the sound quality on the CD can sound a little odd at times. The first three songs on the CD ("Where the Streets Have No Name", "Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "With or Without You") are probably my faves.

14. viper_stew

Feb 14, 2001
    Red seven you all ready saw the tour?
    Cool!!!!

i waited an hour and a half in line and i was like the 10th person in line, but it got sold out before i got to the seller. :(

So i'm going to the San Jose arena to personally scalpel some ticks with a couple of friends. I don't care how much it costs me.

Oh and Bria PoP was outa this world.
    Go borrow money....get in debt....beg....but you gotta try to go....someone is always selling tixs outside....even if its a solo seat. It will be worth it. You'll treasure it for a long.......time
    ;)

15. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Hehehe. As much as I'd love to go, I do have money, I just can't spend it. I leave for Europe in a few weeks, and what money I have will go to board my cats and to have money to spend on my trip. As great as U2 is, picking between going to a concert or having spare cash to spend in Europe, I have to pick Europe. I do love U2 though and I have the feeling they aren't going anywhere, so maybe next time.

Because I only have two ablums, I can't really say which I love best. I do adore ATYCLB though. I think it's a great ablum. My favorite songs on it are Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of, Kite, Walk On, and In A Little While. They all contain the same theme, being able to move on with your life, and while I am still young, I have had some tough experiences that help me to relate to the songs. I also like Beautiful Day, Elevation, and Wild Honey. They are great songs and very upbeat. I love it, but I think Peace on Earth is a sad song.

There lines tell the incredible story of living in a country divided:

Where I grew up there weren't many trees
    Where there was we'd tear them down
    And use them on our enemies
    They say that what you mock
    Will surely overtake you
    And you become a monster
    So the monster will not break you

Very very sad. I too am sick of the sorrow and the pain. Coming from an Irish band, this is a strong message.

~*~Bria

16. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    I got too see the best U2 live act ever, the Zoo TV concert. Man, what a tour! YOu had a concept and Bono playing all these characters.

Well, also check out their first album, BOY, which is a classic. Very punkish and raw.

October is also great. It is their softest album and many consider it their worse album, but it is great. The thing is, this is when they became born again christians and the album is pure christian rock. Now, U2 then evolved after that when WAR came out, and reinvented themselves with every album. Well, they were still very christian rockish all the way until the Joshua Tree, cause as they say, they were born again.

Then with Achtung Baby, they changed views. The band announced that they became agnostics. And you can tell.

But you should also check out Music for film, a great U2 album that many dont know about.

It is U2 going under a different name, The Passengers. They changed their name cause they wanted a break to do small acts and perform low key, plus they added a 5th member to the group for that album: long time collaborater Brian Eno.

They had a great song called Miss Sarajevo.

17. viper_stew

Feb 14, 2001
    oh Bria your not a "realy" U2 fan, why did you even create this thread if you can't make THAT sacrifice?

;)
    j/k

are you serious about U2 going under a different name, or are you pulling an AT60?

18. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Dead Seriouis. One of my fave albums.

They only did it once, and that was after Zooropa and before POP.

The passengers. U2 got tired of the massive stadium tours from Zoo TV.

So, they went underThe Passengers for just one album and added a fifth member, Brian Eno.

19. viper_stew

Feb 14, 2001

brian eno has been longer than that hasn't he?

20. Red-Seven

Oct 21, 1999
    Passengers is great! Very experimental...

Eno is listed as a member of the band on that one. On AB, ATYCLB, Zooropa (?) and UF he is listed as a producer. Major distinction.

21. viper_stew

Feb 14, 2001

oh i see
    thanks Red

22. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Eno was never part of the band. He aided them, sometimes did vocals, played an instrument, mixed, produced, etc. But was never a part of the band nor performed with them.

This time, he was part of them and performed. Just for that one album and officialy.

But unofficialy, U2 always considered him their 5th member. The way I see it, Eno should just join. I guess he must not like touring or Bono is too ego centric (which he is anyways).

23. viper_stew

Feb 14, 2001

oh i see
    thanks son

24. klingklang

klingklang Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 12, 1999

Since the time I saw the "New Year's Day" video on MTV. So a bit after War came out.

"The Unforgettable Fire" from the album of the same name.

I just love the mood of the song, especially the instrumental part in the middle. That whole album is brilliant because of its textures, I feel.

25. howlrunner22

howlrunner22 Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 24, 1998
    1) I've loved them since... forever.

2) Pride

3) It just is.